Principal Hardware Engineer
Abaco Systems is looking for a Principal Hardware Engineer. In this role you will collaborate with engineers, and cross-functional teams, and be responsible for technical and project leadership of projects from inception to production release. This would include the design, development, and verification of a variety of embedded electronics products, which may include Single Board Computers, Graphics Cards, Sensor Processing products, and Network Switches. All are designed for use over extreme temperatures and in harsh environments.
* Management responsibility for electrical engineering group
* Definition of engineering requirements in consultation with customers and product managers
* Coordination of a cross-functional team to develop coherent hardware, software, and mechanical design solution
* Contribute to component selection, schematic capture and design constraint consistency
* Oversight and review of PCB layout
* Conduct design reviews and generate design documentation in accordance with company quality processes
* Demonstrate product functionality and design robustness through a rigorous verification process
* Definition of production test strategy and supervision of production handover
* Provide engineering support for designs throughout product lifecycle including production test support, customer support, and obsolescence management
Skills & Competencies:
* Understanding of computer architectures and embedded systems
* Problem-solving skills, creativity
* Verbal and written communication skills
* Proven track record in technical and project leadership
* Experience designing commissioning and fault-finding
* Experience working in a cross-functional team
* Experience leading an engineering team
* Experience using Schematic Capture tools such as Mentor Dx-Designer.
* Enthusiasm for the technology and its use in Military & Aerospace applications
* Desire to further develop engineering skills in high-speed board & programmable logic design
* Ability to work well in a team environment and a desire to provide technical leadership to other team members.
* Ability to establish and achieve personal deadlines and contribute to meeting project timescales
* Flexibility and enthusiasm to succeed within a dynamic technical and business landscape
* Degree in Electronic Engineering or a related subject, or equivalent knowledge and experience
* 15+ years of experience in design and verification of complex electronic hardware
* Experience in design using the following:
* Multi-core/multi GHz System-on-Chip processor architectures including Intel, NVIDIA, and NXP architectures
* High-speed memory interfaces (DDR4 or similar)
* High-speed serial interfaces (5GHz+) - signal integrity principles, simulation and verification
* Switch-mode power supplies - design and simulation
* FPGA/SoC - development and verification using VHDL
* I/O interfaces such as USB, Serial, Ethernet, I2C, SPI
* Security and Root of Trust design methods.
* Standards-based product design including VPX, VME, XMC, CPCI, etc.
Abaco is a Department of Defense (DoD) supplier and as such employees may work with or be exposed to controlled information that may only be seen or handled by US citizens or qualified permanent residents.