Accountant Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for accountants in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 1,076,179 accountants currently employed in the United States.
- 57.0% of all accountants are women, while only 37.1% are men.
- The average age of an employed accountant is 44 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of accountants is White (64.5%), followed by Asian (15.7%) and Hispanic or Latino (9.6%).
- The majority of accountants are located in NY, New York and TX, Houston.
- Accountants are most in-demand in Chicago, IL.
- Accountants are paid an average annual salary of $52,548.
- New York, NY pays an annual average wage of $62,126, the highest in the US.
- Accountants average starting salary is $41,000.
- In 2021, women earned 96% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid accountants earn as much as $66,000 or more.
- New York is the best state for accountants to live.
- Accountants are more likely to work at public companies in comparison to private companies.
Accountant Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Accountant
Women Earn 96¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Accountant Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the accountant position over time.
Accountant Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, renewable energy system finance specialist and audit partner have the biggest difference in gender.
|Loan Processing Supervisor||22%||74%|
|Chartered Finance Analyst||73%||11%|
|Renewable Energy System Finance Specialist||84%||13%|
Accountant Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among accountants is White, which makes up 64.5% of all accountants. Comparatively, there are 15.7% of the Asian ethnicity and 9.6% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity.
- White, 64.5%
- Asian, 15.7%
- Hispanic or Latino, 9.6%
- Black or African American, 7.9%
- Unknown, 1.8%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.5%
Accountant Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among accountants.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Accountant Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of an Accountant
We determined the average age of accountants based on ethnicity and gender.
Accountant Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of accountant employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of accountants is 40+ years old, which represents 61% of the population.
Types of Accountant Degree Levels
The most common degree for accountants is bachelor's degree 71% of accountants earn that degree. A close second is associate degree with 12% and rounding it off is master's degree with 12%.
- Bachelors, 71%
- Associate, 12%
- Masters, 12%
- High School Diploma, 2%
- Other Degrees, 3%
Accountant Jobs You Might Like
Accountant Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ accountants. We found that the most common company type is public. In addition, the industry that employs the most accountants is the finance industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire accountants.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Accountant Work In
Employees with the accountant job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most accountants prefer to work at public companies over private companies.
Top Industries Hiring Accountants
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ accountants. Those industries include finance, manufacturing and professional.
Accountant Turnover And Employment Statistics
Accountant Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of accountants changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Accountant Stay in a Job
By looking over 107,439 accountants resumes, we figured out that the average accountant enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 37%.
Foreign Languages Spoken By Accountants
The most common foreign language among accountants is Spanish at 35.5%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is Chinese at 11.0% and Mandarin is the third-most popular at 10.9%.
- Spanish, 35.5%
- Chinese, 11.0%
- Mandarin, 10.9%
- French, 8.2%
- Russian, 5.3%
- Other, 29.1%