Legal Counsel II-Workers Compensation
Amtrust Financial Services, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA
Responsible for competent, ethical and diligent representation of AmTrust North America and its carriers in all assigned cases including preparation of pleadings, motions, pre-trial discovery, trial, arbitration and appellate work. This position requires aggressive, cost-efficient and creative management of a caseload involved in full-phase litigation. It entails traveling to different Boards in Southern California and to various AmTrust offices. The ideal candidate should possess skills necessary to interface with claims administrators, underwriters, employers, safety personnel, and all legal representatives up to the highest ranks at the WCAB level. In addition to handling a caseload, this position involves maintaining regular communications with the Claims Department via roundtables, reviews and training. The ideal candidate must maintain a solid understanding of AmTrust's mission, vision, and values as best in class in the workers' compensation industry.
* Competently represents the Employer/Carrier before the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board at administrative hearings, conferences, trials and appeals on litigated and in pro per claims. Responsible for the prompt, efficient and effective disposition of assigned cases
* Appears at depositions, cross-examinations, mediations, arbitrations and other legal-driven activities outside of the WCAB
* Analyzes complex legal and factual issues, conducts extensive and well-reasoned legal research, and independently develops and presents defense strategies
* Prepares pleadings, petitions, motions, correspondence, and briefs in support of defense strategies
* Provides thorough and timely communication, information, legal advice and other services to Claims, Underwriting and employers on relevant legal and factual issues;
* Possesses the ability to comply with the AmTrust's Litigation Management Guidelines with minimal supervision
* Assists in developing training materials for Claims, Underwriting and employers relevant to the application of current laws, practices and trends in CA workers' compensation
* Competently handles carve-out cases and possesses familiarity with the practices and procedures of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program (ADR)
* Communicates with Workers' Compensation Judges, claims professionals, witnesses, opposing counsels and clients in a manner consistent with established office procedures
* Keeps current with market trends and demands. Attends continuing legal education seminars in order to maintain high level of professional expertise
* Performs other functionally related duties as assigned
* Licensed by the California State Bar
* Strong technical knowledge and familiarity with the California Labor Code and Rules of Practice and Procedure as well as current case law and their application
* Ability to handle a caseload of up to 95 cases from inception to settlement and/or appellate level• 5+ years of experience for Staff Counsel II; Experience must be recent and relevant to the practice of Workers' Compensation
* Strong working knowledge of EAMS, Jet Filing, Lexis Advance, Microsoft Office
* Trial and/or arbitration experience up to submission consistent with years of experience above
* Appellate experience consistent with years of experience above
* Ability to travel to various WCAB district offices in California as well as other locations including but not limited to periodic travel to various AmTrust Offices in San Diego, Irvine, Concord and Las Vegas
* Specialization in California Workers' Compensation Law
* Experience in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
* Strong working knowledge of TeamConnect, TimeMatters
This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the job and does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required in this position. AmTrust has the right to revise this job description at any time.
What We OfferAmTrust Financial Services offers a competitive compensation package and excellent career advancement opportunities. Our benefits include: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses & children, Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, Paid Time Off.
AmTrust strives to create a diverse and inclusive culture where thoughts and ideas of all employees are appreciated and respected. This concept encompasses but is not limited to human differences with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, culture, religion or disabilities.
AmTrust values excellence and recognizes that by embracing the diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives of its workforce, it will sustain a competitive advantage and remain an employer of choice. Diversity is a business imperative, enabling us to attract, retain and develop the best talent available. We see diversity as more than just policies and practices. It is an integral part of who we are as a company, how we operate and how we see our future.