Antioch Church Company History Timeline

1851
Kimball's house, at the western end of the row, was built in the fall of 1851.
1852
Nonetheless, it is the same institution that was originally incorporated in Ohio in 1852.
The Christian Church founded Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio, in 1852.
1860
The development of the coal mines in the hills south of town about 1860 was the occasion of Antioch's becoming a town in any real sense.
1877
Joseph W. Galloway, son of the founder, acted as manager of the business until the death of his father in 1877, when he sold the business to William R. Forman, John C. Rouse, and Henry F. Beede, the latter having been in Mr.
1887
After a few years Forman sold his interest to J. P. Abbott, and in 1887 Rouse sold half of his half interest to the Simpson Lumber Company.
1888
Mizpah Rebekah Lodge, I. O. O. F., was instituted June 28, 1888, with a mere handful of members, but has grown very rapidly, until it now outnumbers the older San Joaquin Lodge of Odd Fellows.
1889
The mill was first established in 1889, by M. D. Keeney and operated by him and his three sons, E. M., W. C., and C. W. Keeney, on its present site, for about ten years.
1903
Prior to the year 1903 the water supply was furnished by a private company, of which the Hon.
1904
785, Fraternal Order of Eagles, was instituted September 1, 1904, with a charter membership of 105, and has enjoyed a remarkable growth, having at the present time more than 300 members - the largest of any order in the city.
1907
20, 1907, the Antioch Lumber Company was incorporated, and still exists as a corporate body.
1908
Altogether Antioch has expended since 1908 for street betterment close to a quarter of a million of dollars.
1910
In July, 1910, the franchise passed into the hands of the latter company, which now gives what is well nigh perfect service and at a very reasonable rate.
1912
The industry was under this management until March, 1912, when the mills were acquired by the Paraffine Paint Co., of San Francisco, and incorporated as the California Paper Board Mills.
1915
1612, Loyal Order of Moose, was organized in February, 1915, with Doctor W. S. George as the first dictator.
In 1915 the Contra Costa Gas Company secured a franchise and extended its lines to this city, and now furnishes a very high grade of gas for both lighting and fuel purposes.
1920
Beginning in 1920, the college modified its liberal arts approach to education by adopting the concept of co-operative education.
1926
1926 Ernest Morgan and Walter Kahoe found The Antioch Bookplate Company ABC while students at Antioch College.
1927
1927 Operations move off campus to the neighboring Antioch Press Jesse Shelton joins the partnership.
1928
In 1928 Ernest Morgan refused an offer from McGraw-Hill Publishing in order to continue to grow his fledgling business.
1930
1930 Antioch Bookplate Company introduces prepackaged bookplates.
1931
1931 Company moves operations to 220 Xenia Ave.
1934
The company was able to stay afloat, and by 1934 ABC was selling its products in all 48 states.
1935
In 1935 Ernest Morgan joined the typesetter's union.
1936
1936 ABC buys bookmark line of rival Louis J. Silver acquires competitor Alfred Stenzel sales increase by 75 percent.
1937
In 1937 Antioch Bookplate Company was faced with increasing competition.
1939
1939 The company publishes its first children's co-op book.
1940
1940 ABC hires its first full-time salesperson and sales soon double in volume.
1941
1941 ABC introduces the first line of colored bookplates.
1943
In 1943, having begun printing and selling bookmarks, ABC produced its own line of bookmarks with religious text.
1945
1945 Company purchases bookplate designs from notable artist Rockwell Kent ABC invests in die press for engraving.
1946
The two became friends and Kent produced many bookplate designs for ABC. The company throughout its history continued the tradition of seeking out popular artists and cartoonists for its materials. It took until 1946 for the company to officially incorporate.
1958
Beginning in 1958 Morgan's son Lee began working part-time in the family-run business.
1968
In 1968 sales figures for bookplates stood at 15 million a year, distributed through 5,000 dealers nationwide.
1970
In 1970 sales had reached 418,000, yet ABC recorded loses of 25,677.
1972
Antioch also founded an innovative law school in 1972 in Washington D.C. which operated on an experiential legal clinic teaching model.
1978
Due to its expansion of programs, graduate degrees, and campuses, Antioch s name was changed in 1978 from Antioch College to Antioch University.
1987
Unbeknownst to the company at the time, in 1987 Holes-Webway became an opportunity for Antioch Publishing Company to create its most successful sales division ever, Creative Memories.
1989
In 1989 Antioch sold Sullivan Printing to Patented Printing and concentrated its production on albums, scrapbooks, journals, and gourmet giftbooks.
1995
1995 Antioch opens production and distribution facility in Sparks, Nevada, for Creative Memories.
1997
By 1997 Creative Memories, with thousands of consultants worldwide, was selling 1 million a day in products through home demonstrations and had expanded its operations into Australia and Taiwan.
2000
In 2000 demand for scrapbooks and scrapbook accessories continued to rise and Creative Memories opened a new manufacturing facility in Richmond, Virginia.
2001
In 2001, Antioch University established a highly innovative low residency PhD Program in Leadership and Change.
2008
In 2008, Antioch University closed its residential College campus in Yellow Springs, Ohio due to significant enrollment and financial challenges.
2009
The College campus and other assets were then transferred in 2009 to a new Ohio non-profit corporation known as Antioch College Continuation Corporation, formed by a group of Antioch alumni.
2011
In that transaction, the University agreed to license to them the name Antioch College . The College was subsequently reopened in 2011 as a legally separate institution, but with a shared heritage with Antioch University.
Founded
-
Company Founded
Headquarters
Colorado Springs, CO
Company Headquarter

Similar Companies

Company NameFounded DateRevenueEmployee Size
Our Lady of the Lake Church-
Our Lady of the Lake Church
-
-
3
3
North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church-
North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church
-
-
$17.5M
$17.5M
1,400
1,400
MAAC Project1965
MAAC Project
1965
1965
$7.5M
$7.5M
990
990
North Coast Church1980
North Coast Church
1980
1980
180
180
Ocean Institute1977
Ocean Institute
1977
1977
$30.0M
$30.0M
150
150
Community Action Partnership of Northeast Missouri (CAPNEMO)-
Community Action Partnership of Northeast Missouri (CAPNEMO)
-
-
35
35
St. Peter's Catholic Church1851
St. Peter's Catholic Church
1851
1851
15
15
Alcoholics Anonymous-
Alcoholics Anonymous
-
-
$5.5M
$5.5M
45
45
Center For Multi Cultural Humn-
Center For Multi Cultural Humn
-
-
$1.0M
$1.0M
5
5
California Academy of Sciences1853
California Academy of Sciences
1853
1853
$175.0M
$175.0M
655
655