Architect Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for architects in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 162,777 architects currently employed in the United States.
- 22.6% of all architects are women, while only 70.6% are men.
- The average age of an employed architect is 43 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of architects is White (68.2%), followed by Asian (16.0%) and Hispanic or Latino (10.9%).
- The majority of architects are located in NY, New York and DC, Washington.
- Architects are most in-demand in Atlanta, GA.
- Architects are paid an average annual salary of $75,007.
- Boston, MA pays an annual average wage of $96,939, the highest in the US.
- Architects average starting salary is $53,000.
- In 2021, women earned 93% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid architects earn as much as $105,000 or more.
- Massachusetts is the best state for architects to live.
- Architects are more likely to work at public companies in comparison to private companies.
Architect Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Architect
Women Earn 93¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Architect Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the architect position over time.
Architect Male to Female Ratio
Architect Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among architects is White, which makes up 68.2% of all architects. Comparatively, there are 16.0% of the Asian ethnicity and 10.9% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity.
- White, 68.2%
- Asian, 16.0%
- Hispanic or Latino, 10.9%
- Black or African American, 2.5%
- Unknown, 2.1%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.3%
Architect Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among architects.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Architect Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of an Architect
We determined the average age of architects based on ethnicity and gender.
Architect Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of architect employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of architects is 40+ years old, which represents 58% of the population.
Types of Architect Degree Levels
The most common degree for architects is bachelor's degree 67% of architects earn that degree. A close second is master's degree with 21% and rounding it off is associate degree with 6%.
- Bachelors, 67%
- Masters, 21%
- Associate, 6%
- Diploma, 2%
- Other Degrees, 4%
Architect Jobs You Might Like
Architect Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ architects. We found that the most common company type is public. In addition, the industry that employs the most architects is the technology industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire architects.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Architect Work In
Employees with the architect job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most architects prefer to work at public companies over private companies.
Top Industries Hiring Architects
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ architects. Those industries include technology, professional and finance.
Architect Turnover And Employment Statistics
Architect Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of architects changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Architect Stay in a Job
By looking over 18,287 architects resumes, we figured out that the average architect enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 34%.
Comparing The LGBT Ratio of Architects with Other Job Titles
After finding the gender ratio, we wondered if the percentages of LGBT persons were different as well. Using the data below, you can see how other job titles compare to architects.
|Lead Field Engineer||7.40%|
Foreign Languages Spoken By Architects
The most common foreign language among architects is Spanish at 41.6%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is French at 12.9% and Italian is the third-most popular at 6.0%.
- Spanish, 41.6%
- French, 12.9%
- Italian, 6.0%
- German, 5.4%
- Portuguese, 4.9%
- Other, 29.2%