Insulation Manufacturing Machinist
Machinist Job in Huntsville, AL
The primary purpose of this position is to set up and operate a variety of machines and equipment. Job consists of machining, cutting, and using milling & boring equipment per specification, drawings and other instructions. Will perform work procedures as detailed below.
Tools and Equipment:
Tools used include but are not limited to: CNC machines, speed mills, lathes, vertical & horizontal boring mills, measuring and marking equipment, fixtures for machining the part, hand tools, gauges, drill press, Bridgeport machine, Fishtail Machine, saws, forklift, cranes and other lifting devices.
Glass, copper, micarta, teflon cloth, resins, adhesives, lubricants, cleaning solutions, scotch ply, some hazardous materials, such as MEK.
Direction of Others:
May provide recommendations and advice to others in the work area or department. Team Officers will work with the team to correct problems and meet department goals.
Work from written manufacturing information and drawings.
1. Review bill of material and other information to determine material required.
2. Set up machine to perform required operation. Machine to specific tolerances.
3. Perform various advanced set ups.
4. Perform detailed layout work as required. Interpret drawings for operations and make calculations as necessary to complete assignment. Cross reference various drawings throughout operation.
5. Use various precision measurement tools to verify tolerances, dimensions etc.
1. Set up and operate advanced machines including horizontal and vertical milling machines, Haas CNC machines and speed mills according to instructions, work packages, etc.
2. Obtain tools, fixtures and work pieces; retrieve applicable program and load into controller; set tool sizes and depth dimensions for cuts.
3. Check dimensions on first piece cut and periodically on other pieces and make machine adjustments as necessary.
4. Make changes to programs as necessary and notify appropriate personnel of all program errors.
1. Set up and operate speed mills, lathes, vertical and horizontal boring mill and other machines.
2. Review drawings and work packages for dimensions and other pertinent information; make new fixtures when necessary;
3. Assemble groups of parts and transport groups of parts to next location.
4. Deburr excess glass, copper, and micarta from angles, edges, holes etc. and check dimensions and appearance.
5. Insulate and test materials per specifications.
6. Check machined dimensions using fixed gauges and micrometers. Obtain first piece approval before continuing.
1. Perform quality inspections and complete QCI's as necessary.
2. Keep work area neat and tidy.
3. Perform other duties as required.
Preparation & Training:
Requires a thorough knowledge in the use of advanced shop mathematics, together with the use of complicated drawing, specifications, charts, tables, handbook formulas, all varieties of precision measuring instruments, and / or the use of broad training in a recognized trade or craft. Equivalent to complete accredited indentured apprenticeship, or equivalent to high school plus a two year technical college education.
With the above preparation and training, it would take Over 1 year, up to and including 3 years.
Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States without need for current or future employer-sponsored work authorization. Siemens Energy employees with current visa sponsorship may be eligible for internal transfers.
High school diploma, GED, or technical vocational/apprenticeship training combined with prior field service or equivalent related experience
Analytical Ability and Ingenuity:
Requires the use of judgment to plan, perform, and make decisions as to the sequence of setups, operations, and processes within the limitations of recognized or standard methods and procedures.
Equipment or Process:
Operator has a high responsibility for equipment & process. Operator is responsible for total setup, adjustments, operation, and/or maintenance of equipment, where errors would result in extensive damages and expenses.