Department of Agriculture
Deer River, MN
The primary purpose of this position is to perform wildland firefighting work and to lead crews performing such work. These may be engine crews, hand crews, and/or prescribed fire crews. These crews perform work directly related to wildland fire suppression and control activities including suppression, preparedness, prevention, monitoring, and hazardous fuels reduction.
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
Learn more about this agency
* Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-06 level.
* Make initial evaluation of fire situations, determines rate of spread, potential hazards to property and other improvements, suppression method to use, hose lays, deployment of crew, point of initial attack.
* Personally perform and direct others in starting pump engine, priming pump, adjusting engine speed and pump valves, laying hose, and using appropriate nozzles and nozzle adjustment in effective use of water and additives.
* Provide daily leadership, instructs crew members in specific tasks and techniques, distributes and controls work assignments among employees, and assures timely accomplishment of assigned tasks.
* Perform hazardous fuel reduction projects which entail thinning, cutting and piling vegetation through use of mechanical means, e.g. chainsaw, etc.
* Perform project work such as road and trail maintenance; inventory fuels beds, habitat improvement, burned area rehabilitation, miscellaneous equipment, facilities maintenance and other resources.
* Assist in the preparation of hazardous fuels treatment and burn plans.
* Participate in wildland fire safety training and techniques ensuring that all work is carried out safe.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignments.
$33k-46k yearly est.