Remote or Chicago, IL
Founded in 2013, Home Chef is the leading meal solutions company with both a retail and online presence. Available online at homechef.com and in retail at more than 2,100 Kroger grocery stores, Home Chef is committed to inspiring and enabling more people to cook simple, delicious meals, no matter how busy they are.
Similar to our recipes, we recognize that variety is the spice of life, and therefore, our employees also bring their uniqueness and color to our fantastic team. We're eager to work with humble team players and pragmatic next-level thinkers to innovate on Home Chef's offerings.
While most of us continue to work remotely, our newly renovated headquarters at the Old Post Office is open for voluntary return to work. Our organization is closely following the evolving COVID-19 pandemic and will share updates on our 2022 return to the office plan as soon as any decisions are made.
This role sits in the Culinary Department as part of a two-person team supporting essential daily operation. The Culinary Apprentice will be asked to prepare daily shopping lists, shop for groceries according to specifications for 24-36 meals daily, mise en place meals for chefs, write recipes with chef guidance, cook proteins/ingredients for product sampling, and assist in basic food photography work.
* Manage grocery process including making list, shopping, and putting away groceries, as well as sourcing last minute items
* Order kitchen supplies including speciality ingredients & kitchen equipment, directly from suppliers, production facilities and/or online sources
* Maintain kitchen inventory including knowledge of where items are located, as well as tracking/storing items that are needed both near and long term
Recipe Development Support:
* Cook and write recipes, as assigned on a weekly basis, with a focus on providing feedback on overall customer experience
* Take step shots and operate camera equipment under guidance of food photographer
* Test recipe techniques and changes on an as needed basis
* Prepare items for sampling including proteins, new ingredients, and other products
New Meal Development:
* Taste and provide feedback daily on all meals chefs develop, including red meat, vegetarian, soy, seafood, shellfish, and pork
* Analyze customer comments and make recommendations on ways to improve
* Ideate concepts for new, successful meals
* Culinary background strongly preferred
* Strong understanding of food
* Completion of a two-year program such as an Associate degree
* High attention to detail: must adhere exactly to shopping list & Home Chef cooking specifications
* ServSafe certified or strong understanding of sanitary practices
* Required to carry bags of groceries through elevator daily (carts available)
* Must be able to taste and provide thorough feedback on every meal and ingredient sample test in the kitchen, including vegetarian, pork, chicken, steak, and seafood meals, as well as meals with dairy and added sugar
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed for this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
* Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance - benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
* Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
* 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
* We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
* Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
* Generous Parental Leave
* Great Work/Life Balance - We value and support each individual team member
* Quarterly company-wide "Town Hall" meetings
* Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
* Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
* Onsite gym
* Weekly Fooda credit
* Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
* Employee discounts through Perkspot
* Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
* Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
How We Work Together
We are humble team players.
We are warm and gracious with team members and customers. We seek feedback to improve ourselves - and respectfully listen to and accept input.
We are pragmatic next-level thinkers.
We come up with novel and unique ideas. We explore new strategies to avoid being constrained by conventional thinking.
We take ownership.
We approach ambiguous problems, prepared to dive in, get curious, and learn more. We are results-driven, always challenging ourselves to exceed goals.
Be at Home at Home Chef
We all show up authentically at Home Chef. Our team includes individuals with a variety of identities, backgrounds, and perspectives. You can trust that you'll be able to bring your whole self to an inclusive and enjoyable workplace.
We welcome people of all races, colors, religions, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disabilities, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Home Chef is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Home Chef will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home Chef is an equal opportunity employer.
To view the California Applicant notice click here
$29k-50k yearly est.