Technical Director - Staff Director
Carnegie Mellon University
What We Do
At the SEI AI Division, we conduct research in applied artificial intelligence and the engineering questions related to the practical design and implementation of AI technologies and systems. We currently lead a community-wide movement to mature the discipline of AI Engineering for Defense and National Security.
As our government customers adopt AI and machine learning to provide leap-ahead mission capabilities, we
Build real-world, mission-scale AI capabilities through solving practical engineering problems
Discover and define the processes, practices, and tools to support operationalizing AI for human-centered, robust, secure, and scalable mission capabilities
Prepare our customers to be ready for the unique challenges of adopting, deploying, using, and maintaining AI capabilities
Identify and investigate emerging AI and AI-adjacent technologies that are rapidly transforming the technology landscape
Are you creative, curious, and collaborative? Do you enjoy doing meaningful and complex work? Are you interested in making a difference by bringing innovation to government organizations and beyond? Apply to join our team.
As the Technical Director - Staff Director on our team, you will lead, shape, and manage our diverse team working on research and development across multiple portfolios that match critical U.S. government needs in AI and AI Engineering.
You will lead, manage, grow, and develop our team-including engineers, designers, project managers, and researchers-to help the Division best execute AI and AI Engineering research and development for our customers. You will design and lead processes to collect and manage hiring requirements across our technology portfolios, you will oversee recruiting and hiring activities, you will ensure the continuous professional and career development and growth of our team, and you will orchestrate and continuously improve a matrix management process to ensure that we are effectively executing high-impact work for our customers across portfolios and aligning members of our team to appropriate and challenging projects. You will also directly contribute to our AI and AI Engineering research and development activities.
* People and Organizational Leadership and Management: You have significant experience leading, growing, and managing a variety of organizations, including research and development organizations. You are familiar with different organizational designs and modern management and talent development approaches, and you have a track record of building and leading high-impact teams and organizations. You are highly skilled in personnel management.
* Recruiting, Hiring, and Talent Development: You have extensive experience leading and overseeing recruiting and hiring activities. You know what it takes to attract and retain a diversity of top talent in a very competitive market and have experience designing and deploying creative strategies to attract, retain, and develop talent. You are passionate about growing diverse, high-power, high-impact teams.
* Technical Knowledge and Experience: You have performed and led work in relevant technology areas including machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, data science, data engineering, software engineering, or related fields. You have work and management experience in software development and technology research organizations. You have a fresh perspective on the opportunities and challenges of employing AI technologies for mission/business applications.
* Process Expertise: You have the knowledge and experience necessary to establish and tailor scalable processes in a dynamic, diverse, and growing organization. You have project management and project staffing experience to draw on to build an effective process for dynamically staffing projects across multiple portfolios in a matrixed organization while balancing the development and career growth of the staff.
* Government Knowledge and Experience: You have worked with organizations across the Department of Defense (DoD). You are familiar with government organizations outside of, but complementary to, the DoD. You have experience and knowledge of the challenges of technology adoption and innovation in government. You have had success helping government organizations implement multiple, highly effective, diverse teams executing mission-relevant research and development.
* Research, Development, and People Leadership: You will develop, lead, and oversee a diverse team supporting multiple technology portfolios. You will be responsible for the growth, development, overall work quality, and effectiveness of our team. About half of your time will be spent on understanding, growing, and leading the proper resourcing and allocation of our staff. You will also directly supervise and manage AI Division team leads. The other half of your time will be spent leading and/or directly contributing to our AI and AI Engineering research and development work using your technical skill set/expertise.
* Talent Development: You will help identify, recruit, retain, mentor, and develop a diverse, high-caliber, interdisciplinary team including engineers, research scientists, technology developers, designers, and project managers. You will work closely with our portfolio Technical Directors to understand project staffing and hiring needs, staff development priorities, and staff performance.
* Strategy: You will lead the process to plan, develop, and carry out an overall technical staff resourcing approach to successfully execute our AI Division portfolio of work. You will be part of the AI Division leadership team and will shape the direction and growth of the division.
* Customer and Community Engagement: You will engage with customers and stakeholders. You will represent various aspects of AI Division work and people, presenting our work and technical resource capabilities at collaboration venues and to customers. You will build and maintain relationships with the DoD innovation and technology ecosystem including relevant engineering, research, and technology development communities.
* Collaboration: You'll actively participate on teams of software developers, researchers, designers, and technical leads. You'll collaborate with researchers and our government customers to understand challenges, needs, and possible solutions and research directions.
* Mentoring: You'll contribute to improving the overall technical capabilities of the SEI by mentoring and teaching others, participating in design and innovation sessions, and sharing insights and wisdom across the SEI. You will work closely with senior leaders, researchers, and engineers across a variety of focus areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Communication and Collaboration: You are an exceptional communicator and can interact collaboratively and diplomatically with customers and colleagues at all levels of experience and knowledge. You grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort while having the natural ability to dig into the details on problems and technical concepts and provide clear direction. You can present complex ideas to people who may not have a deep understanding of the subject area.
* Dedication and Motivation: You can meet deadlines while multi-tasking-sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities. You are self-motivated and can work toward a common vision with little oversight.
* Creativity and Innovation: You are creative and curious, and you are inspired by the prospect of collaborating with premier researchers and visionaries at Carnegie Mellon University and innovation-focused organizations. You quickly create and learn new procedures, techniques, and approaches. You are forward-looking and can connect the needs of individual team members and projects with the big picture of the AI Division and the role of the SEI in the DoD research and innovation ecosystem.
* Knowledge and Learning: You possess broad technical interests along with knowledge and expertise across fields such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, software engineering, systems engineering, advanced computing, autonomy, adaptive systems, and other related areas.
* An advanced degree in a relevant technical area or an advanced professional degree (such as an MBA) with an undergraduate degree in a relevant technical area is strongly preferred.
* Extensive management experience in research or technology organizations is strongly preferred.
* Flexible to travel to Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C., sponsor sites, conferences, and other meetings. Moderate (20-40%) travel outside of your home location.
* You will be subject to a background investigation and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Those granted an exemption must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements, including use of facial coverings, daily self-assessment and weekly Tartan Testing.
Arlington, VA, Pittsburgh, PA
University Administration and Management
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
* Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
* Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
* Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
* Statement of Assurance