0 selections
0 selections

Clifford Chance Overview

Clifford Chance is a multinational law firm that is focused on practice areas such as banking and finance, capital markets, corporate & M&A, real estate, litigation and dispute resolution, and tax, pensions, and employment. Clifford Chance is one of the ten largest law firms in the world measured by both number of lawyers and revenue. Clifford Chance was formed by the merger of two London-based law firms in 1987, Clifford Turner and Coward Chance. In 1999 it merged with the Frankfurt-based firm Pünder, Volhard, Weber & Axster and the New York-based firm Rogers & Wells. David Childs has been Managing Partner since 2006. The company is headquartered in London, United Kingdom.
The staff at Clifford Chance come from unusually diverse demographic backgrounds. The company is 53.8% female and 46.3% ethnic minorities. Despite its diversity in other areas, Clifford Chance employees are noticeably lacking in political diversity. It has an unusually high proportion of employees who are members of the Democratic Party, at 75.0%. Employees seem to enjoy working in an otherwise diverse workplace that is dominated by members of the Democratic Party. Clifford Chance has great employee retention with staff members usually staying with the company for 4.1 years. The average employee at Clifford Chance makes $58,447 per year. Pay at Clifford Chance is significantly lower than some of its highest paying competitors, like Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, and Shearman & Sterling, which pay $213,517, $166,341, and $164,319, respectively.
A large professional company with 6,700 employees and an annual revenue of $2.1B, Clifford Chance is headquartered in New York, NY.

Industry

Law Firm

Revenue

$2.1B

Employees

6,700

Founded in

1987

Headquarters

New York, NY

Website

www.cliffordchance.com

Organization Type

Private

Is This Your Company?

What do people say about Clifford Chance

Work at Clifford Chance? Share your experience anonymously.

What do you like about working for Clifford Chance?

The Team At Clifford Chance

Key People

Elsy Timana de Villar

Clifford Chance Company Rankings

Clifford Chance is ranked #23 on the Best Companies to Work For in America list. Zippia's Best Places to Work lists provide unbiased, data-based evaluations of companies. Rankings are based on government and proprietary data on salaries, company financial health, and employee diversity.

Read more about how we rank companies.

Clifford Chance Salaries

9.9
Salary Score
The national average salary for a Clifford Chance employee in the United States is $58,447 per year. Employees in the top 10 percent can make over $121,000 per year, while employees at the bottom 10 percent earn less than $28,000 per year.
Average Clifford Chance Salary
$58,447 yearly
$28.10 hourly
Updated July 11, 2022
$28,000
10 %
$58,000
Median
$121,000
90 %
Average Employee Earnings

Highest Paying Jobs At Clifford Chance

Rank  Job Title  Avg. Salary  Hourly Rate  
1Director$186,744$90
2Senior Advisory$143,888$69
3Data Scientist$123,896$60
4Solutions Architect$112,987$54
5Senior Associate$109,924$53
6Software Engineer$107,056$51
7Software Developer$97,793$47
8Consultant$90,385$43
9Finance Analyst$90,327$43
10Systems Support Administrator$88,671$43
11Computer Systems Analyst$88,532$43
12Functional Tester$86,081$41
13Account Auditor$83,644$40
14Project Engineer$83,527$40
15Web Developer And Programmer$79,397$38
16Manager$75,916$37
17Underwriter$74,247$36
18Project Coordinator$64,776$31
19Technical Support Specialist$64,570$31
20Computer Specialist$62,245$30

Clifford Chance Demographics Summary

9.9
Diversity Score
We calculated the diversity score of companies by measuring multiple factors, including the ethnic background, gender identity, and language skills of their workforce.

Clifford Chance Gender Distribution

Male
Male
46%
Female
Female
54%

Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for Clifford Chance. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:

  • Clifford Chance has 6,700 employees.

  • 54% of Clifford Chance employees are women, while 46% are men.

  • The most common ethnicity at Clifford Chance is White (54%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (15%) and Asian (14%).

  • Clifford Chance employees are most likely to be members of the democratic party.

  • On average, employees at Clifford Chance stay with the company for 4.1 years.

  • The average employee at Clifford Chance makes $58,447 per year.

Biggest Clifford Chance Locations

Rank  City  Job Count  
1New York, NY10

Jobs from companies you might like

Do you Work At Clifford Chance?

Help us make this company more transparent.

Clifford Chance Employee Political Affiliation

Clifford Chance employees are most likely to be members of the Democratic Party. The largest donation made to a political party by a Clifford Chance employee was by John Howitt. John Howitt donated $18,150 to the Democratic Party.

Parties

Democratic Party

75.8 %
-

Republican Party

24.2 %
-

Employee Political Donations

Name  Job Title  Party  Donation  
John HowittAttorneyDemocratic Party$18,150
Erika BucciLawyerDemocratic Party$16,941
Catherine McCarthyAttorneyDemocratic Party$14,656
William BlumenthalLawyerRepublican Party$14,000
Steven KolyerAttorneyDemocratic Party$12,700
Sharis PozenCo-ChairDemocratic Party$11,800
John CarrollAttorneyDemocratic Party$10,000
Anthony GiustiniAttorneyDemocratic Party$9,800
Janet WhittakerLawyerDemocratic Party$8,400
Jay BernsteinLawyerRepublican Party$6,700
Show More

Clifford Chance Employment Videos

Clifford Chance Financial Performance

9.8
Performance Score
We calculated the performance score of companies by measuring multiple factors, including revenue, longevity, and stock market performance.

How Would You Rate The Company Culture Of Clifford Chance?

Have you worked at Clifford Chance? Help other job seekers by rating Clifford Chance.

Clifford Chance Competitors

Based on our research, similar companies to Clifford Chance are Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, and Shearman & Sterling. The wages at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison average higher than the other similar companies, where the median salary is $213,517 per year. The employees at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton earn an average yearly salary of $166,341 per year, and the salaries at Shearman & Sterling average $164,319 per year.
Companydesc
Average Salarydesc
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison
Salary Range178k - 255k$214k$213,517
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Salary Range128k - 214k$166k$166,341
Shearman & Sterling
Salary Range127k - 211k$164k$164,319
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Salary Range119k - 202k$156k$155,631
White & Case
Salary Range105k - 197k$144k$144,292
Morrison & Foerster
Salary Range107k - 187k$142k$141,881
Schulte Roth & Zabel
Salary Range102k - 186k$138k$138,098
Foley Hoag
Salary Range100k - 185k$136k$136,414
Skadden
Salary Range98k - 187k$136k$136,156
Latham & Watkins
Salary Range98k - 185k$135k$135,278
$38k
$255k

Frequently Asked Questions about Clifford Chance

When was Clifford Chance founded?

Clifford Chance was founded in 1987.

How many Employees does Clifford Chance have?

Clifford Chance has 6,700 employees.

How much money does Clifford Chance make?

Clifford Chance generates $2.1B in revenue.

What industry is Clifford Chance in?

Clifford Chance is in the law firm industry.

What type of company is Clifford Chance?

Clifford Chance is a private company.

Who are Clifford Chance's competitors?

Clifford Chance competitors include Shearman & Sterling, White & Case, Kirby McInerney, Mayer Brown, Fletcher Yoder, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP, Linklaters, Morrison & Foerster, Willkie Farr & Gallagher, Latham & Watkins, Davis Polk & Wardwell, Chadbourne & Parke, Milbank, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, RJ Young, Schulte Roth & Zabel, Skadden, Foley Hoag, Baker McKenzie, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton.

Who works at Clifford Chance?

Elsy Timana de Villar (CEO)

Where is Clifford Chance's headquarters?

Clifford Chance's headquarters is in New York, NY.

Are You An Executive, HR Leader, Or Brand Manager At Clifford Chance?

Claiming and updating your company profile on Zippia is free and easy.

Zippia gives an in-depth look into the details of Clifford Chance, including salaries, political affiliations, employee data, and more, in order to inform job seekers about Clifford Chance. The employee data is based on information from people who have self-reported their past or current employments at Clifford Chance. The data on this page is also based on data sources collected from public and open data sources on the Internet and other locations, as well as proprietary data we licensed from other companies. Sources of data may include, but are not limited to, the BLS, company filings, estimates based on those filings, H1B filings, and other public and private datasets. While we have made attempts to ensure that the information displayed are correct, Zippia is not responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of this information. None of the information on this page has been provided or approved by Clifford Chance. The data presented on this page does not represent the view of Clifford Chance and its employees or that of Zippia.

Clifford Chance may also be known as or be related to CLIFFORD CHANCE US LLP, Clifford Chance, Clifford Chance LLP, Clifford Chance Llp and Clifford Chance US LLP.