Senior Project Manager Job in Concord, CA
Requisition ID # 141301
Job Category: Project / Program Management
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Engineering, Planning & Strategy
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
Pacific Gas and Electric Company's Demand Response (DR) department is a key element of PG&E's Customer Energy Solutions (CES) Load Management Solutions (LMS) organization. The DR department is responsible for the management of PG&E's retail and wholesale DR programs, integration of DR resources with wholesale markets and grid operations, and supporting the development of regulatory policies related to DR. The department's current strategic priorities include optimizing the customer experience associated with its DR programs, as well as the development of DR resources that support the reliable, cost-effective operation of the electric grid.
The Demand Response (DR) Operations & Programs team in LMS develops, manages, and operates PG&E's 700 megawatt DR program portfolio, which is utilized during periods of strain on the electric grid or during periods of high prices. The DR Operations sub-team is responsible for the end-to-end support of Demand Response Programs, curtailment, event notifications, in addition to the day-to-day operations and maintenance of systems, energy management, managing our retail and wholesale programs, and curtailment applications.
The DR team works closely with other LMS departments involved in demand side management (DSM) policies and programs, with PG&E's Energy Policy & Procurement department, and with PG&E's Business Energy Solutions and Customer Operations teams.
This position is headquartered in Oakland, California.
The Base Interruptible Program (BIP) is a statewide DR program that is operated year round. Participants in BIP reduce load when the grid is under stress, such as an emergency condition as defined in California Independent System Operator (CAISO) Operating Procedure 4420 or a transmission contingency. BIP participants receive a financial incentive to reduce their energy consumption to a pre determined Firm Service Level (FSL) within 30 minutes after an event notice. Participants can enroll in the BIP Program through a third party aggregator or directly with PG&E.
The Program Manager, Senior will be responsible for all facets of the BIP, including policy and strategy, enrollment and participation, performance, and customer relationship management. The Program Manager, Senior will collaborate with other program managers on interdependencies between programs, with the DR Operations team to ensure that customer issues are quickly resolved and that IT systems meet customer requirements, and with teams in Energy Policy & Procurement to coordinate on policy and strategy issues. The Program Manager, Senior will oversee work of DR Operations support assigned to their programs.
• Collaborate with Demand Response and other internal stakeholders to ensure that program tariffs accurately reflect regulatory commitments (e.g. integration of demand response into the CAISO wholesale market, Prohibited Resources policy) and company goals
• Translate changes in regulatory policy into corresponding changes in program rules (tariffs), and ensure the programs are administered in accordance with their tariffs
• Developing and articulating requirements that will drive the development of processes and IT systems that enable customer enrollment, management, and performance calculations
• Manage relationships with Third-party Aggregators by providing:
o Program / system training and support to Third-party Aggregators
o Effective and timely communications with Third Party Aggregators
o Assistance with issues related to monthly incentive payments, monthly notification testing, event results / reports
o End-of-season evaluation to help identify opportunities for improvement
o Opportunities to provide feedback on how the programs can be improved
• Ensure all monthly incentive payments are paid, and that all financial reporting and forecasting processes are followed
• Develop an understanding of the cost effectiveness protocols that are used to measure the value of CBP, and establish a continuous improvement effort focused on increasing the value of the program to customers and PG&E
• Assist internal departments (e.g. Regulatory Affairs, Energy Procurement, Legal, DR Measurement and Evaluation, etc.) in timely completion of: program evaluations, filings to the CPUC, data request responses, testimony preparation, program operational modifications, tariff updates, and legal contract/form updates.
Maintain up-to-date program documentation, forms, and websites
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
• 6 years of related experience or equivalent work experience
• MBA or Masters graduate degree
• Project management experience and/or process improvement experience
• Intermediate level of experience utilizing Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience in leading teams and/or projects across partner organizations
• Lean Six Sigma or Project Management certification
• Knowledge of CAISO electric markets