Career opportunities are available for experienced candidates looking for a position to lead Engineering Hardware cost estimating efforts. This person will provide knowledge and expertise in applying principles, theories and methods of cost estimation and analysis in support of Government solicitations for both R&D and Production efforts. This position works closely with the engineering, financial, manufacturing and supply chain teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the proposal life cycle from receipt of solicitation andbid/no bid process through proposal submission and negotiation.
· Review solicitation documents and understand scope of work to bid.
o Read and interpret solicitations to identify critical itemsrequired for compliant responses and create proposal outlines, schedules, andcompliance matrices.
o Provide recommended updates to bid requests and statement of workobjectives in order to clarify requirements necessary for accurate andefficient proposal work.
· Responsible for developing the Work Breakdown Structure andensuring all labor and material estimation is at a level that is compliant withthe solicitation requirements.
· Responsible for developing costs for Bills of Material (BOM).
· Responsible for working with the design and manufacturingengineering teams in the development of labor basis of estimates.
· Create cost models as needed for cost estimating elements.
· Plan, maintain and execute schedules for all associated proposalactivities in order to meet proposal submission deadlines.
o Participatein strategy sessions and color team proposal reviews.
· Supportproposal volume production efforts (formatting, marking, etc).
· Maintainsproposal documentation, templates and libraries.
o Maintainsand creates, as needed, proposal templates in accordance with company standards.
o Maintainsproposal libraries, including proposal archive, past performance, andboilerplate materials.
o Promote process innovation and improvement across the entire scopeof engineering proposal work including; MRP data dumps, quote initiations, costcapturing, BOE write-ups, and sanitizing proposal backup.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Strong communication skills.
· Strong, self-motivated team member who can thrive in a multi-tasking environment.
· Ability to work in a high stress environment with tight schedules.
· Ability to manage and lead various proposal teams.
· Knowledge of TINA and FAR/DFARS proposal requirements.
· Strong and advanced Microsoft Excel and Word skills; additional Microsoft product skills is a plus.
· Experience with Engineering MRP tools, specifically Manex, is a plus.
· Knowledge and or hands-on experience with hardware and electronics, including mechanical, cabling, and electronic fabrication is a plus.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or related technical field (or equivalent experience).
· An advanced certificate in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
· A minimum of 5 years of dedicated equivalent DOD proposal experience.
· Proposal cost estimating experience in a production environment.
This position requires the applicant to obtain and maintain a DoD Clearance.
Physical and Mental Requirements for all positions:
•Prolonged stationary periods at a desk
•General ability to operate computer and other productivity machinery such as calculator, copy machine, printer, etc.
•Ability to lift and transport up to 15 pounds at times
•Effectively communicate with others
•Ability to stay focused and provide attention to detail.
•Ability to think analytically and apply problem solving skills to scenarios throughout the course of the workday
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please contact our recruiting department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.368.6107. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To learn more about the Benefits offered by Progeny Systems, including a minimum $1,000 sign-on bonus for all new hires, please visit our website at http://www.progeny.net/careers.
About Progeny Systems
Progeny Systems is a privately held, high-tech small business that provides premium systems, services, and products for the Department of Defense, government agencies and commercial clients. We are a technology leader in numerous areas including: technology insertion; acoustic sensors; signal processing; combat systems; torpedoes; cyber security; biometrics; knowledge management; undersea vehicles; open architecture; electromagnetic maneuver warfare; electronics packaging; and image/video processing/analysis.
Progeny System's ability to leverage flexibility, rapid turnaround, customer responsiveness, and encourage an environment for experimental research has been critical to our success in developing, producing and supporting numerous mission critical national defense systems.
Progeny has provided highly complex products/programs to the United States Government in collaboration with the following agencies, among others:
- United States Navy
- United States Air Force
- United States Army
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA)
Estimator responsibilities include:
Create costed Bills of Material (BOMs)
Powered by JazzHR
Based on recent jobs postings on Zippia, the average salary in the U.S. for a Cost Estimator is $71,945 per year or $35 per hour. The highest paying Cost Estimator jobs have a salary over $105,000 per year while the lowest paying Cost Estimator jobs pay $48,000 per year
Estimators work in construction and manufacturing businesses to estimate the operational costs of the company. It is the responsibility of the estimators to compile the estimates of the products and services. They prepare work for estimation through blueprints, specifications, proposals, and its associated documents. It is also expected from them to find their potential clients' needs and wants, research equipment and materials, and calculate labor costs. The organization, time management, and effective communication are the skills expected from a good estimator.
A Project Engineer develops the plan that the entire team or company will undertake. The project engineer develops the plans, strategies, and goals of a project and then gives it to the management for approval and allocation. The Project Engineer will also recommend material, equipment, and the type of personnel needed. This position is integral in the smooth flow of any project, so hiring someone to hold this position will decide the success of a project.
Cost Analysts are employees with a strong background in finance or accounting. They are in charge of collecting financial data and analyzing the entries. They study the company's expenses and prepare pertinent reports. Cost Analysts look for inconsistencies in the financial data. This way, they can assist in auditing the company's spending. Cost Analysts also look for inefficiencies. They do so by tracking item costs and department budgets and monitoring department expenses. They are also involved in budget-setting activities.
In the construction industry, a senior estimator specializes in estimating the total cost, time, supplies and materials, equipment, and labor required to complete a construction project. To ensure accuracy, a senior estimator coordinates with the client, architect, and engineer to identify and understand project needs, participates in the planning and scheduling procedures, and prepares the necessary documentation. They are also in charge of conducting cost analyses, risk assessments, and selecting subcontractors and suppliers, coordinating with the construction managers and architects regularly.
A finance analyst is responsible for evaluating a company's financial data and historical reports to assess investment opportunities and provide accurate financial statements in support of business strategies and company performance prediction. A financial analyst's duties also include suggesting recommendations to boost operations efficiency and grow revenues, researching the current market performance and economic trends to adjust budget goals as needed, and managing client portfolios. Finance analysts must have excellent critical and analytical thinking skills to identify the best actions for the company's profitability.