Equipment Operator (sewer Construction & Asphalt Maintenance)
Arlington County, Va
Equipment Operator Job in Arlington, VA
The Department of Environmental Services (DES) is seeking two Equipment Operators to drive and operate heavy construction equipment to support the construction and maintenance of the County's sanitary and storm sewer infrastructure for the Sewer Construction and Asphalt Maintenance Sections of the Water, Sewer, and Streets (WSS) Bureau.
Specific duties include:
* Operating a backhoe, skid steer, and/or crane truck to excavate trenches and holes, assisting in moving materials and equipment, and grading surfaces for construction;
* Operating related equipment to assist in the construction and/or maintenance of public works' projects;
* Loading and operating various size trucks such as Medium and Tandem Dump Trucks;
* Driving and operating other equipment associated with construction maintenance such as asphalt rollers (walk behind and riding) and asphalt/concrete saws (hand-held power and walk behind);
* Performing routine, preventive, and emergency maintenance on equipment; and
* Performing other duties as assigned and receive supervision from Crew Leader, and/or Trades Manager/Leader.
The successful employee will be safety-oriented, a team player, with excellent communication skills, and demonstrated experience operating equipment as described. Selection Criteria
* High school diploma/GED or equivalent;
* Three (3) years of experience in public works, construction, or another trades vocation that demonstrates the ability to perform semi-skilled to skilled manual maintenance and/or construction;
* One (1) year of experience operating heavy/specialized equipment such as backhoes, concrete trucks, medium and tandem dump trucks, crane trucks, front-end loaders, or asphalt rollers, asphalt/concrete saws, skid steers and forklifts and/or other specialized equipment; and
* Commercial Driver's License (CDL) required.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
* Two (2) years of operating a backhoe and/or similar equipment;
* Using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); and/or
* Field construction and reading/interpreting plans, cut sheets, etc.
* Must possess a Class B or A commercial driver's license (CDL) at time of hire.
* Must possess or obtain within one year of date of hire, a valid Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Basic Work Zone Certification
* A pre-employment criminal records check will be conducted. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
* Applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
* Applicant must provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employer's information required by DOT agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information.
* Once hired, the employee will be subject to a Department of Transportation (DOT) drug screening at such times during employment as required by federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
* Applicant's invited for interview may be asked to participate in skills testing involving the operation of equipment.
* Additional special licensure, certifications, and/or endorsements may be required depending on area of assignment.
* The employee performs activities outdoors.
* The employee is subject to hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, exposure to high heat, exposure to chemicals, and/or biohazardous waste.
* The employee is subject to one more of the following conditions: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, loud noises, gases or poor ventilation, oils, and other cutting fluids.
* The employee spends long periods of time standing, crouching, stooping, bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying.
* The employee is required to wear common protective gear or safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, or hard hats.
* Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Requires learning and following all safety rules and regulations pertaining to job functions which includes attending all required safety classes and meetings in order to ensure a safe working environment and that team members are practicing the required safety rules and regulations.
Covid-19 Vaccination: Arlington County Government is committed to the health, safety and wellness for all staff. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. For those qualified employees with a disability or sincerely held religious belief which prohibits them from receiving a vaccine, you will be able to contact the Office of Human Rights to request a reasonable accommodation. Adherence to this policy is a condition of employment. Additional Information
Work Hours: 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Must be available for stand-by, responding to after-hour calls, and emergencies such as snow removal operations. Occasional mandatory overtime may be required on short notice.
The official title is Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Equipment Operator.
Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Arlington County Government employee benefits depend on whether a position is permanent, the number of hours worked, and the number of months the position is scheduled.
Specific information on benefits and conditions of employment can be found on the Arlington County Human Resources Department website: www.arlingtonva.us/pers.
Permanent, Full-Time Appointments
All jobs are permanent, full-time appointments unless otherwise stated in the announcement. The following benefits are available:
Paid Leave: Vacation leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. Leave accrual increases every three years until eight hours of leave are earned biweekly for twelve or more years of service. Sick leave is earned at the rate of four hours biweekly. There are eleven paid holidays each year.
Health and Dental Insurance: Three group health insurance plans are offered - a network open access plan, a point-of-service plan, and a health maintenance organization. A group dental insurance plan is also offered. The County pays a significant portion of the premium for these plans for employees and their dependents. A discount vision plan is provided for eye care needs.
Life Insurance: A group term policy of basic life insurance is provided at no cost to employees. The benefit is one times annual salary. Additional life insurance is available with rates based on the employee's age and smoker/non-smoker status.
Retirement: The County offers three vehicles to help you prepare for retirement: a defined benefit plan, a defined contribution plan (401(a)), and a deferred compensation plan (457). The defined benefit plan provides a monthly retirement benefit based on your final average salary and years of service with the County. You contribute a portion of your salary on a pre-tax basis to this plan. General employees contribute 4% of pay; uniformed public safety employees contribute 7.5% of pay. Employees become vested in the plan at five years of service. The County also contributes to this plan.
For general employees, the County also contributes 4.2% of pay to a defined contribution plan (401(a)) . The County also matches your 457 contribution, up to $20 per pay period, in this plan. The 457 deferred compensation plan allows you to set aside money on either a pre-tax (457b) or post-tax (457 Roth) basis up to the IRS annual limit. New employees are automatically enrolled with a pre-tax contribution equal to 2% of your base pay.
Other Benefits: The County also offers health, dependent care, and parking flexible spending accounts; long-term care insurance; tuition assistance; transit and walk/bike to work subsidies; a college savings plan; wellness programs; training opportunities; and a variety of other employee benefits.
Permanent, Part-Time Appointments:
Part time employees who work ten or more hours per week receive paid leave and benefits in proportion to the number of hours worked per week.
Limited Term Appointments:
Benefits are the same as permanent appointments except that the employees do not achieve permanent status.
Temporary Regular Appointments:
Temporary regular employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for health, dental, and basic life insurance as described above. They are also eligible for vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays.
Temporary Seasonal and Occasional Appointments:
Temporary employees who work on a seasonal basis or variable hours receive sick leave, but do not normally receive other paid leave or benefits. Exceptions are noted in individual announcements.
* The possession of a valid Class A or B commercial driver's license is required at time of application.
* The possession of a valid VDOT Basic Work Zone Certification is required or the ability to obtain within one year of hire date.
* I must authorize Arlington County to obtain or provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record.
* I must provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employer's information required by DOT agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information.
* Prior to appointment, I must pass a pre-employment drug screening and will be subject to drug screening at such times during employment as required by federal, state and local standards and policies.
* If I am invited for an interview, I may be asked to participate in skills testing involving the operation of equipment. I have read and understand the requirements for this position.
Please ensure that your application fully supports the requirements for this position and check ALL which describe your background and experience.
* I have earned a high school diploma, GED, or the equivalent
* I am substituting directly related experience on a year for year basis for the education requirement
* I have at least three (3) years of experience in public works, construction, or another trades vocation that demonstrates the ability to perform semi-skilled to skilled manual maintenance and/or construction
How much experience do you have operating heavy/specialized equipment such as concrete trucks, medium and tandem dump trucks, crane trucks, front-end loaders, or asphalt rollers, asphalt/concrete saws, skid steers and forklifts and/or other specialized equipment?
* Less than 1 year
* 1 to less than 2 years
* 2 to less than 3 years
* 3 to less than 4 years
* 4 to less than 5 years
* 5 or more years
How much experience do you have operating a Backhoe and/or similar equipment? Please ensure the detail of this experience is reflected in your application.
* Less than 1 year
* 1 to less than 2 years
* 2 years or more
What valid driving permit/licenses and/or certifications do you possess? Check all that apply
* Regular Driver's License from place of residence
* Hazardous Materials Category C
* Class "B" CDL
* Class "A" CDL
* CDL Learner's permit
* Tankers endorsement
* Basic Work Zone certification
* Intermediate Work Zone certification
* None of the above
Which of the following equipment do you have experience operating? Check all that apply:
* Medium Dump Truck
* Tandem Dump Truck
* Concrete Truck
* Asphalt Roller
* Pothole Patch Truck
* Crane Truck
* Front-end Loader
* Asphalt/Concrete Saw
* Skid Steer
* None of the above
Please check the box(es) if you have experience with any of the following: Please ensure the detail of any experience checked is reflected in your application.
* Performing preventive maintenance on heavy equipment
* Field construction experience (reading/interpreting plans, cut sheets, etc.)
* Experience entering, updating and maintaining data into a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS)
* Operating other specialized equipment (list on application)
* None of the above
I understand that the regular work hours for this position are from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. I also understand that occasional overtime may be required and that this position requires availability for stand-by duty and call-back in emergencies such as snow removal operations or other emergencies. I have read the above work schedule statements and I agree to them.
Agency Arlington County
Address 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 511
Arlington, Virginia, 22201
$32k-37k yearly est.