Custodian Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for custodians in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 1,446,382 custodians currently employed in the United States.
- 36.3% of all custodians are women, while only 59.3% are men.
- The average age of an employed custodian is 48 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of custodians is White (47.9%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (35.6%) and Black or African American (9.8%).
- The majority of custodians are located in NY, New York and IL, Chicago.
- Custodians are most in-demand in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Custodians are paid an average annual salary of $24,097.
- The education industry is the highest-paying for custodians.
- San Jose, CA pays an annual average wage of $38,456, the highest in the US.
- Custodians average starting salary is $18,000.
- In 2021, women earned 94% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid custodians earn as much as $31,000 or more.
- 7% of all custodians are LGBT.
- Alaska is the best state for custodians to live.
- Custodians are more likely to work at education companies in comparison to private companies.
Custodian Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Custodian
Women Earn 94¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Custodian Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the custodian position over time.
Custodian Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, duct cleaner and solids control technician have the biggest difference in gender.
|Solids Control Technician||92%||5%|
Custodian Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among custodians is White, which makes up 47.9% of all custodians. Comparatively, there are 35.6% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity and 9.8% of the Black or African American ethnicity.
- White, 47.9%
- Hispanic or Latino, 35.6%
- Black or African American, 9.8%
- Asian, 3.4%
- Unknown, 1.9%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 1.4%
Custodian Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among custodians.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Custodian Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of a Custodian
We determined the average age of custodians based on ethnicity and gender.
Custodian Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of custodian employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of custodians is 40+ years old, which represents 74% of the population.
Types of Custodian Degree Levels
The most common degree for custodians is high school diploma 48% of custodians earn that degree. A close second is bachelor's degree with 17% and rounding it off is associate degree with 17%.
- High School Diploma, 48%
- Bachelors, 17%
- Associate, 17%
- Diploma, 12%
- Other Degrees, 6%
Custodian Jobs You Might Like
Custodian Wage Gap By Education
Custodian Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ custodians. We found that the most common company type is education. In addition, the industry that employs the most custodians is the education industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire custodians.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Custodian Work In
Employees with the custodian job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most custodians prefer to work at education companies over private companies.
Top Industries Hiring Custodians
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ custodians. Those industries include education, non profits and professional.
Custodian Turnover And Employment Statistics
Custodian Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of custodians changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Custodian Stay in a Job
By looking over 91,846 custodians resumes, we figured out that the average custodian enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 30%.
Comparing The LGBT Ratio of Custodians with Other Job Titles
After finding the gender ratio, we wondered if the percentages of LGBT persons were different as well. Using the data below, you can see how other job titles compare to custodians.
|Environmental Services Aide||7.08%|
Foreign Languages Spoken By Custodians
The most common foreign language among custodians is Spanish at 73.9%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is French at 5.0% and German is the third-most popular at 2.7%.
- Spanish, 73.9%
- French, 5.0%
- German, 2.7%
- Polish, 2.1%
- Japanese, 2.0%
- Other, 14.3%