Medical Assistant-Virtual Clinic-Warren-Full Time
Henry Ford Health System
Remote or Warren, MI
Under direct supervision of the provider and nursing leadership, performs a variety of administrative and clinical tasks to assist in the quality and compassionate care provided to patients. These duties include the greeting and escorting of patients to the exam room; taking medical histories, the measurement and recording of vital signs; preparing patients for the examination/procedure; and assisting the physician during the examination/procedure. Demonstrates clinical competence as a Medical Assistant.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Patient Care:
1. Perform initial-response screening following protocols approved by supervising physician.
2. Escort patient to room and prepares patient for examination, procedure and treatment.
3. Obtain vital signs and record in the EHR.
4. Obtain, evaluate, and record patient history employing critical thinking skills.
5. Prepare for, set up and assist with examinations, procedures, and treatments per protocols, policies, and procedures.
6. Prepare and administer oral, parenteral medications and immunizations as ordered by the supervising physician based on Henry Ford Medical Group medication policy. Documents medication administration following the six rights in the EHR.
7. Maintain medication and immunization records.
8. Documents care provider during patient visit in EHR.
9. Recognize and respond to emergencies.
10.Responds to patient requests via telephone encounter, In Basket message and/or My Chart according to identified time frames and documents responses in the EHR.
11.Monitors and performs in basket duties to ensure timely response.
12.Enters medication, radiology and lab orders in the electronic health record for provider sign off.
13.Discharges patient providing after visit instructions to patient and/or caregiver as directed by the provider.
14.Enters medication refill orders per protocol.
1. Collect and process specimens.
2. Perform CLIA-waived tests.
3. Perform electrocardiography, respiratory and other testing based on department needs.
4. Perform phlebotomy, including venipuncture and capillary puncture.
1. Serve as a liaison between patients and medical staff in the event of problems or complaints.
2. Schedule, coordinate, and monitor appointments.
3. Schedule outpatient procedures.
4. Apply third party and managed care policies, procedures and guidelines.
5. Obtain insurance pre-authorizations.
6. Enters referrals for provider sign off.
1. Participate in departmental/divisional Quality Assessment and Quality Improvement Programs.
2. Practice Standard Precautions, including hand washing and disposal of biohazardous materials.
3. Apply principles of aseptic and sterile technique.
4. Clean instruments and equipment per policies and procedures.
5. Comply with all HFHS and departmental specific safety standards.
6. Maintain compliance with regulatory standards regarding practice, environment and documentation.
1. Function as a health care advocate to meet individual's needs.
2. Educate individuals in office policies and procedures.
3. Educate the patient within the scope of practice and as directed by supervising physician in health maintenance, disease prevention, and compliance with patient's treatment plan.
4. Identify community resources for health maintenance and disease prevention to meet individual patient needs.
1. Uphold goals, policies, procedures and expectations of the Henry Ford Health System (HFHS).
2. Support the mission, vision, and values of the HFHS.
3. Maintain examination/treatment rooms, including inventory of supplies and equipment.
4. Maintain core and applicable specialty competencies as defined by the Henry Ford Health System.
5. Other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
+ Graduate from a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) Medical Assistant Program, OR
+ Graduate of a formal medical assistant program, OR
+ Graduate of a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program.
+ Completion of a clinical externship.
+ Ability to perform a wide variety of clinical skills as related to ambulatory patient care.
+ Basic computer knowledge and keyboarding skills.
+ Successful completion of HFMG pharmacology class and test.
+ Current BLS-C certificate.
+ Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) preferred.
Under the leadership of President and CEO Wright L. Lassiter, III, Henry Ford Health System is a
$6 billion integrated health system comprised of six hospitals, a health plan, and 250+ sites
including medical centers, walk-in and urgent care clinics, pharmacy, eye care facilities and
other healthcare retail. Established in 1915 by auto industry pioneer Henry Ford, the health system
now has 32,000 employees and remains home to the 1,900-member Henry Ford Medical Group, one
of the nation's oldest physician groups. An additional 2,200 physicians are also affiliated with the
health system through the Henry Ford Physician Network. Henry Ford is also one of the region's
major academic medical centers, receiving between $90-$100 million in annual research funding and
remaining Michigan's fourth largest NIH-funded institution. Also an active participant in medical
education and training, the health system has trained nearly 40% of physicians currently practicing
in the state and also provides education and training for other health professionals including nurses,
pharmacists, radiology and respiratory technicians. visit HenryFord.com.
Whether it's offering a new medical option, helping you make healthier lifestyle choices or
making the employee enrollment selection experience easier, it's all about choice. Henry
Ford Health System has a new approach for its employee benefits program - My Choice
Rewards. My Choice Rewards is a program as diverse as the people it serves. There are
dozens of options for all of our employees including compensation, benefits, work/life balance
and learning - options that enhance your career and add value to your personal life. As an
employee you are provided access to Retirement Programs, an Employee Assistance Program
(Henry Ford Enhanced), Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, Employee Health and Wellness, and a whole host of other benefits and services. Employee's classified as contingent status are not eligible for benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Henry Ford Health System is
committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals without regard to
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, size, height,
weight, marital status, family status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and genetic information,
or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
$28k-36k yearly est.