Legal Training & Development Manager
Fenwick & West LLP
Santa Monica, CA
The Legal Training & Development Manager manages and oversees attorney training and development, curriculum and programs, continuing legal education (CLE), career development and counseling. This role requires a highly organized, innovative, engaged leader with a strong client service orientation, diplomacy, excellent written/verbal communications skills with strong management and collaboration skills. It requires regular travel to other firm offices. This position can be based in any of our offices.
* Develop, lead and monitor learning-focused firmwide and practice-group initiatives for attorneys, including programs for development of professional and client services skills, as well as technical, substantive and practice-specific legal skills and competencies.
* Measure and assess training, curriculum and development programs for relevancy and impact, and sustain, modify or replace as appropriate based on current and future needs and consistent with the firm's strategic objectives.
* Work with training and development team and practice management to collaborate with internal and external program presenters, as well as to maintain and update existing content and introduce new learning opportunities.
* Develop and execute, and expand as needed, programs offered at all levels within the attorney life cycle.
* Oversee the continued evolution and delivery of Fenwick University programs.
* Work with CLE coordinator to ensure CLE compliance, tracking and reporting firmwide.
* Maintain and nurture existing and potential relationships with external consultants, coaches and speakers, as well as maintain active involvement with appropriate professional organizations, including the Professional Development Consortium.
* Maintain networks and in-depth knowledge of trends and developments in the talent development field both within and outside legal industry.
* Oversee and enhance the firm's mentor and advisor programs in collaboration with legal personnel, practice management, recruiting and diversity teams.
* Collaborate with legal personnel, practice management, and recruiting to implement effective onboarding of first-year and lateral attorney hires.
* Collaborate with business development team, including with client and alumni networks, to support external training offerings, as well as career development, connections and transitions.
* Assess e-Learning opportunities and build e-Learning programs based on practice group needs.
* Recruit, lead and engage training and development team in an effective implementation and execution of programs, events and initiatives.
* Manage and oversee training and development budgeting process and expenditures.
* Regular travel to other firm offices.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
* Experience and knowledge of attorney professional development, including core competencies, adult learning concepts, program design, feedback systems, and attorney career progression
* Strong interest in training and professional development and a demonstrated track record designing and implementing professional development programs.
* Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality work while maintaining a client service focus.
* Demonstrated ability to motivate and develop team skills and dynamics.
* Must have strong written and oral communication skills, proven experience at diplomacy and effective listening skills, and ability to inspire confidence of attorneys and staff at all levels.
* Excellent project management and organizational skills, and strong attention to detail.
* Ability to work well both independently and while leading a team.
* Highly motivated, proactive self-starter that demonstrates ownership, commitment to the job, initiative and strong work ethic.
* Proven collaboration skills and ability to build strong relationships across attorney populations and staff professionals.
* Ability to multi-task and deal with stringent deadlines.
* Demonstrated good judgment and discretion as to confidential and sensitive matters.
* Ability to deal effectively with change in fast-paced and changing environments.
Reporting to the Senior Legal Training and Development Manager, the qualified candidate will have 6+ years' relevant experience in a law firm or professional services environment. Management experience required. Bachelor's degree required; graduate degree or JD preferred.
COVID Vaccine Policy
On July 7, 2021, Fenwick implemented a policy requiring all new hires to receive the COVID vaccine. Proof of vaccination will be required as a condition of employment. Fenwick will continue to comply with applicable laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or strongly held religious beliefs. This policy is part of Fenwick's ongoing efforts to ensure the safety and-well-being of our employees and community, and to support public health efforts.