First Supply Company History Timeline

(68 Jobs)
1897

In 1897, three tradesmen, Reinie Wesson, Henry Poehling and Ed Roesler pooled their resources to answer La Crosse’s need for a new wholesale plumbing supplier.

Originally incorporated in 1897 as a family owned supplier of pumps and windmills, this growing company has evolved into the single source supplier that most Midwestern contractors rely on for plumbing, HVAC, municipal, waterworks, well & septic, builder PVF and industrial supplies.

1898

They opened the doors of their new business in 1898 and La Crosse Plumbing Supply Company was born.

1907

A company rich in history itself, Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907, by brothers, Herbert and Fred Kretschmer.

1927

Henry wanted to try his hand in distribution so he and his son, Henry Jr., on June 15, 1927, began The H.W. Theis Co., Inc. becoming a top commercial distributor in Milwaukee and the surrounding area.

1936

Until 1936, Fred Kretschmer guided the company as President.

1940

In 1940, Henry Poehling’s son Gerhard, who had worked both as a truck driver and warehouseman, took over the business.

1951

In 1951, the time was right for expansion.

1960

Wisconsin Supply Corporation was opened on Mifflin Street in downtown Madison, Wisconsin in 1960.

1970

In 1970, La Crosse Plumbing Supply moved to the present location at 106 Cameron Avenue, with 86,000 square feet of offices, warehouse and showroom, plus acres of barge yard and pipe yard.

1988

In 1988, Rochester Supply Company opened its doors for business, becoming the fourth facility and the first outside of Wisconsin.

1990

In 1990, Wisconsin Supply became the largest facility in the company when it built and moved to a new location housing 131,000 square feet of offices, warehouse and showroom.

In 1990, two more locations were opened: one in Northern Illinois and the other in Southern Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

1992

Then, in October of 1992, a groundbreaking took place and construction started on a modern warehouse/office facility for First Supply Milwaukee.

1997

In 1997 as preparations were underway for celebration of the company’s 100th birthday, the company made its largest change to date.

1998

In 1998, Kretschmer-Tredway in Dubuque, Iowa was purchased.

1999

In 1999, First Supply Owatonna was opened in Owatonna, Minnesota.

2000

In January of 2000 First Supply Group made Pumpco of Minnesota its most recent branch and is now First Supply Brainerd.

Archaearium The award-winning Archaearium museum houses over 2000 artifacts that bring James Fort’s story to life.

2003

Growth continued and in 2003, Rockford Supply moved to its present location in Machesney Park.

2005

On May 23, 2005, the Glendale location opens its doors which later merged with neighboring Brookfield.

2006

The acquisition of Sherman’s Plumbing Supply of Winona, MN makes way for Winona which opened May 1, 2006.

In 2006 two more facilities open: Janesville on June 5 and Delavan on November 2.

2007

Cedar Rapids opens on February 5, 2007 to become the second facility in Iowa.

The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.

The May 1, 2007 acquisition of The H.W. Theis Co., Inc. adds three more branches in Brookfield, Burlington and Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

2010

On July 12, 2010 First Supply added a second Illinois location in Freeport on 115 E. South Street servicing customers west of Rockford and covering central and western areas of the state.

First Supply later moved its Winona location to a building a block away in August of 2010 opening as a new self-pick concept store filling the need for a quick, well stocked and efficient one-stop-shop for that market.

In November 2010, Gerhard's in Brookfield launched Wisconsin’s first Next Generation Premier Kohler® Registered showroom, a brand new take on product design and demonstration – incorporating global trends and an enhanced consumer experience.

2012

With a strong, long-lasting history of bringing products to homeowners and the trade through trusted distributors, KOHLER heightens its accessibility with the opening of the first KOHLER Signature Store in Edina, Minnesota on April, 21, 2012.

2013

On February 25, 2013 First Supply acquired the KitchenCraft location in Minnetonka, Minnesota and transitioned it to a Gerhard's store.

2015

First Supply in Kenosha moves to 9016 58th Place, Suite 400 on September 14, 2015.

Gerhard's in Kenosha moves to 7114 118th Avenue in September of 2015.

2016

An all new Gerhard's in Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin opened its doors on June 2nd, 2016 at 402 East Silver Spring Drive.

On September 10, 2016 the second KOHLER Signature Store opened at 2525 N. Mayfair Road in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.

2017

On July 5th, 2017, First Supply opened its doors in the Wausau market at 5506 Sternberg Ave., Suite B, in Weston, Wisconsin.

In early 2017 the First Supply footprint expanded when it opened its third KOHLER Signature Store in Overland Park, Kansas.

2021

© 2021 First Supply LLC. All rights reserved.

Founded
1897
Company Founded
Headquarters
Madison, WI
Company Headquarter

First Supply Jobs Nearby

First Supply Jobs

First Supply Similar Companies

Find Jobs from Similar Companies
Personalize your job search. Where would you like to work?
0 selections

First Supply Similar Companies Jobs