Fort Valley State University Company History Timeline

1895
Fort Valley State College was established in 1895 as the Fort Valley High and Industrial School.
1896
The group s leader, John Wesley Davison, himself a child slave, was hired as its first principal after its incorporation on January 6, 1896.
1902
One of the first graduates of the young school was Austin Thomas Walden, who graduated in 1902 and became Georgia s first black judge since Reconstruction.
1902 The State Teachers and Agricultural College of Forsyth was founded by.
1916
O Neal created the Ham and Egg Show, began in 1916 as a way to encourage local farmers to produce more food by showcasing examples of high quality meat.
1916 Jeanes Hall was remodeled and Royal C. Peabody provided funds for the.
1918
In 1918, the institution received perhaps life-saving financial support after it agreed to the control of the Episcopal Church, which raised much of the funding for the academic building now known as Founders Hall.
1925
1925 The Carnegie Foundation provided funds for the erection of the Carnegie Library.
1928
Hunt used the growth of the school, which earned junior college status in 1928, to promote social and economic progress for African Americans, and became a nationally-recognized champion of their advancement and progress.
1929
1929 The Academic Building was erected with funds contributed by the General.
1930
1930 Ohio Hall was erected with funds contributed by the Episcopal Church of.
1932
Fort Valley High and Industrial School changed its name to Fort Valley Normal and Industrial School in 1932.
1939
In 1939, the state of Georgia acquired Fort Valley Normal and Industrial School and designated it a four-year senior college named Fort Valley State College.
1939 Negotiations begun by Hunt to transfer the school to state control and operation.
1939 Doctor Horace Mann Bond was appointed first President of Fort Valley State College.
1940
1940 Doctor W. E. B. DuBois delivered the first Founder s Day address on October 10 it.
1941
In 1941, Harriet Barfield Black became the first person to earn a degree from the new college.
Three years later, in 1941, Fort Valley State College granted its first baccalaureate degree.
1942
The United States Office of Education noted in 1942 that FVSC was one of few black colleges with a clear statement of purposes.
1945
Doctor Bond was succeeded in 1945 by Doctor Cornelius V. Troup, who served as president for 21 years.
1947
1947 The Board of Regents adopted a resolution moving the Land-Grant designation.
1949
In 1949, 10 years after the merger that formed Fort Valley State College, the Georgia legislature designated the college the state s land-grant institution for blacks.
1952
1952 FVSU student Catherine Hardy won a gold medal as a member of the winning.
1952 The Leroy Bywaters Building, formerly the H.A. Hunt Library, was dedicated.
1954
1954 The Alva Tabor Agriculture Building opened for occupancy on October 10.
1957
1957 The Graduate Division was begun in the Fall.
1966
1966 William Madison Boyd Hall opened for occupancy.
1967
1967 The Lottie M. Lyons Student Union Building opened.
1968
1968 The Agricultural Mechanics Building opened for occupancy.
1969
became the first African-American woman judge in Georgia in 1969 when she was elected to serve on the Hancock County Court of the Ordinary.
1972
1972 FVSC s first regionally televised football game appeared on ABC Television.
1973
1973 Doctor C. W. Pettigrew was appointed fourth President.
1974
1974 First acquisition of property on State College Drive.
1975
1975 The new Florence Hunt Infirmary opened for occupancy.
1976
1976 The new Henry Alexander Hunt Memorial Library opened for occupancy.
1976 The Horace Mann Bond classroom building dedicated.
1978
1978 The Animal Health Technology Building completed and opened for occupancy.
1979
1979 The Leroy Bywaters Business Building opened for occupancy.
1982
1982 The C. W. Pettigrew Endowment Fund was initiated.
1983
Doctor Luther Burse became president in 1983, the same year the college launched its nationally renowned Cooperative Developmental Energy Program CDEP . The program works to increase the numbers of minorities and women working in the energy industry, both in the private and governmental sectors.
1987
1987 The C. W. Pettigrew Farm and Community Life Center was dedicated.
1994
1994 The Centennial Inauguration and Founders Day Celebration was held on November 3.
1995
1995 The Computer Technology Mathematics CTM Building was opened for occupancy on August 18.
1996
The school became Fort Valley State University, a state and land-grant university, in June 1996, and is the second largest land-grant institution.
1996 Opening Convocation for displaying the new university seal and for the new.
The school acquired university status in 1996.
2002
2002 The African World Studies Institute was established.
2002 The John W. Davison Lecture Series was initiated.
2007
The 44 million Wildcat Commons student apartments and residential complex opened in 2007, and a new Wildcat Stadium opened soon after.
2008
2008 Construction began on a new academic building for the sciences.
2009
2009 Ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday, May 1 to celebrate the completion and grand.
2009 A new 9 million stadium opened in August to kick off the Wildcat football season.
2010
2010 A Ribbon cutting ceremony held on August 25 signaled the official opening of the.
2010 The College of Agriculture, Home Economics and Allied Programs was renamed.
2010- Fort Valley State University s enrollment increased to the largest number in the.
2010- The U. S. Department of Transportation funded 1.5 million for continuation of the.
2011
2011- A donation of 1.5 million was presented on behalf of President Obama, the United States.
2011- The Banks-Pierro-Rutland-Bellamy Colloquium celebrated its 31st anniversary.
2013
2013 Doctor Ivelaw Lloyd Griffith was appointed the Ninth President and took office on July 22, 2013.
Student enrollment grew to 4,000 students before Rivers stepped down in 2013.
2017
In 2017, FVSU topped SR Education Group s national rankings of schools which enabled exceptional student mobility.
The Wildcat Battalion ROTC program won the statewide Ranger Challenge in 2017, , designed to challenge cadets mental and physical toughness while developing leadership and teamwork in a grueling two day challenge.
2018
In 2018, Diverse Issues in Higher Education listed FVSU as a top 10 producer of producer of African-Americans with bachelor s degrees in mathematics, engineering technology, family and consumer sciences, computer and information systems, psychology, and history in the state of Georgia.
The band ended the 2018 season ranked 9 nationally, and FVSU s drum majors were ranked 5.
2019
In 2019, Washington Monthly magazine ranked colleges which offer master s degrees as their highest offering and found that FVSU ranked among the top 100 in the country.
Founded
1895
Company Founded
Headquarters
Fort Valley, GA
Company Headquarter

Similar Companies