Solutions Architect (Flexible Work Location)
Old Dominion Freight Line Inc.
Solutions Architect Job in Sidney, MT
This role is a member of the ODFL Application Delivery Team. This team is responsible for evaluating the business needs by analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and propose solutions leveraging software, hardware, or infrastructure and to enable Old Dominion Freight Line to serve our Customers better than anyone else.
Working closely with Enterprise Architecture, IT Application Development, and Operations Leaders this role will shape the architecture and engineering of Old Dominion's strategy for DevOps, modern application architectures, and the supporting middleware capabilities.
This position is responsible for enabling significant organizational and technological change by providing a foundation for continuous integration and delivery of business capabilities with the goal of continuously improving Old Dominion's ability to exceed our customer's expectations.
* Act as a strategic solution advisor to the IT engineering teams.
* Lead programs to develop, maintain, and govern Continuous Integration and Delivery capabilities across the enterprise
* Develop, socialize, and communicate IT DevOps architectural standards.
* Participate in the Architecture / Design Review Board processes
* Lead the architecture and engineering of application delivery capabilities
* Continuous Integration and Delivery through a Source-To-Image strategy
* Application resiliency, high availability, and security
* Application elasticity and scalability
* Application monitoring and alerting
* Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
* Developing the program/project solution architecture, including diagrams, data models, and other artifacts as required (primarily at the logical level of the solution architecture).
* Ensuring that the delivered solution meets the functional, performance, cost constraint and technical operations requirements that have been agreed to for the project.
* Ensuring detailed designers have what they need to complete their tasks.
* Translates Enterprise Architecture artifacts and guidance into the logical design.
* Developing and maintaining a holistic picture of the solution, and providing technical oversight of the detailed design activities, and implementation and testing of the design.
* Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
* Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
* Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
* Improves delivery operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
* Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products.
* Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
* Continuously improves by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
* Accountable to accomplish engineering and organization mission while completing solution delivery.
* Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users and internal cross discipline IT department; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
* Coach and mentor solution designers, software engineers, and system engineers in the principles and practicalities of modern application delivery
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of relevant education, training and experience
* 10 years of experience in application development
* 2 years of experience in IT architecture and engineering
* Direct experience in the architecture of PaaS, Public / Private / Hybrid Cloud and DevOps platforms
* Experience with data management, architecture patterns, and large-scale application platforms
* Experience with distributed computing environments
* Agile software development experience preferred
* Requires knowledge and use of containerization and virtualization technologies
* Experience with Application-to-Application integration
* Aptitude for, desire to, and experience in mentoring developers and engineers
* Exceptional partnering and communication skills
* Ability to work independently and self-pace work to meet required deadlines
Join the OD Family Today!
As a Full Time member of our Family, you are eligible to receive:
* Health, Dental & Vision Benefits
* Short Term & Long Term Disability
* Flex Spending Accounts
* 401(k) Retirement Plan
* Wellness Program
* Credit Union access, Vacation & Holiday
* "Birthday Holiday" who doesn't love some extra attention on their Birthday?
Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, and/or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military status, Vietnam Era and/or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law(s).