Senior Human Resources Generalist
Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc.
Remote or Sahuarita, AZ
Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world's largest publicly traded copper producers, the world's largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Please note: This position has the possibility to work remotely up to 100% of the time. The position will require occasional travel to the Phoenix corporate offices and/or site locations. This position may be performed anywhere in the U.S. except California, New Hampshire, Michigan, Illinois and New York. Additional states may be excluded from remote work based on business factors. Should the position shift to in-office work in the future, the company will offer relocation benefits at that time should the position meet the established eligibility for these benefits.
Performs highly complex Human Resources related duties at the professional level and carries out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations, labor relations, recruitment, training, compliance, and recognition. Administers HR policies and procedures. Collects and analyzes HR data, assists the HR Manager with tasks as assigned and makes recommendations to Management. Mentors and coaches fellow HR team members.
* Act as Company's sole representative during legal and binding arbitration, appeal's board and open door processes to settle disputes with employees.
* Lead employment and compliance based investigations.
* Collaborate with site HR and Operations leadership to provide advice on HR and labor regulatory issues; this may include acting as a mentor or supervisor for other HR team members.
* Collaborates with leadership in effective performance management (ensures alignment with policies and procedures) and coaches on developing effective pipeline and succession plans.
* Implement projects and HR improvements as directed by leadership; facilitating change management, engagement, coaching and advising of stakeholders.
* Responsible for protecting and maintaining privacy of employee personnel records, including compensation information
* Implement HR goals, processes, practices and systems to build organizational and individual capability (i.e., staffing, performance management, training & development, employee relations).
* Guides leaders and employees regarding Company policies, values, HR programs and monitors for compliance with Federal, State, and local laws.
* Analyzes and uses HR metrics, such as turnover, time system data and overtime reports, to determine appropriate action. Including supporting workforce planning and forecasting initiatives.
* Perform other duties as requested.
* Bachelor's degree AND five (5) years Professional Human Resources experience, with a minimum of two (2) years Generalist experience; OR
* Bachelor's degree and six (6) years related industrial or manufacturing employee relations experience with a minimum of three (3) years Generalist experience; OR
* Master's degree AND three (3) years Professional Human Resources experience, with a minimum of two (2) years Generalist experience; OR
* Master's degree and four (4) years related industrial or manufacturing employee relations experience with a minimum of three (3) years Generalist experience
* Understand the business operations from both a strategic and tactical perspective
* Understanding of and experience with most or all of the core aspects of Human Resources Management (staffing, employee relations, labor relations, performance management, leadership development, training, etc)
* Experience working within a dispute resolution process
* Experience in independently leading an investigation process
* Experience in addressing complex employee relations issues autonomously.
* Experience in independently handling routine and complex scenarios utilizing various resources
* Experience leading a project to completion
* Ability to address and resolve workplace conflicts
* Courage to make tough decisions and deliver difficult messages with professionalism, poise and diplomacy skills. Standing by decisions
* Ability to coach and influence leadership at all levels of the organization
* Must possess consultative/collaborative style and approach with proven ability to develop credible relationships with business partners.
* Must be a confident communicator, including written and verbal skills, effective at all levels of the organization
* Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and ambiguous business conditions
* Demonstrates high level of integrity and absolute confidentiality
* Demonstrated leadership qualities that encompass amongst other things, a positive disposition, high level of accountability, motivating others, adapting to change, expressing confidence, encouraging & developing others to succeed, inspiring ideas, cultivates a positive team culture that creates a caring and inclusive environment, and seeking out ways to serve others
* Degree in Human Resources Management, Business or related discipline
* PHR/SPHR Certification
* Mining or Industrial setting experience
* Experience leading a dispute resolution process (leading arbitrations, etc)
* Travel Required: Must be willing to travel domestically 30 - 40% and may include remote areas
* Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
* Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
* Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
* Work will be performed in a mine, outdoor or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
* Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds during the course of the workday
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safey-sensitive:
* Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
* Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose "motor vehicles" includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
* Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability