Forestry Technician (Apprentice)
Department of Agriculture
Garden Valley, ID
These positions are located with USDA Forest Service Intermountain Region 4 wildland fire units. The purpose of the position is wildland fire suppression/management/control as a specialized firefighter on an engine, helitack module, or hand crew with responsibility for the operation and maintenance of specialized tools or equipment.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact - Matt Nielsen, email@example.com
Learn more about this agency
* Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-05 level.
* Serve as an experienced firefighter on a hand crew or other related fire suppression crews performing fire suppression and/or fuels management duties under the most adverse conditions of climate, fuels, and terrain.
* Perform the duties of a fully qualified chain saw operator and chainsaw repair technician.
* Perform all aspects of wildland and prescribed fire operations including preparation, ignition, monitoring, holding, and mop-up. Collects fire weather data, fuel and/or soil moisture samples, maps projects, and maintains records.
* Perform and may direct others in starting pump engine, priming pump, adjusting engine speed and pump valves, laying hose, and using appropriate nozzles and nozzle adjustment in effective use of water and additives.
* Load helicopter personnel and cargo considering methods, weight distribution, necessity for securing, total weight, etc. and completes manifests of personnel and equipment being transported to the fire or other work site.
* Perform project work such as road and trail maintenance, habitat manipulation, and miscellaneous equipment and facilities maintenance.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnight for fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
$30k-44k yearly est.