GEA Company History Timeline

1881
1881 Metallgesellschaft AG MG established as a metalstrading company.
Founded in 1881, GEA has continued to develop and set new standards to meet the needs of the market and its customers.
1918
1918 Large proportion of foreign investments lost in the First World War.
1919
In 1919, Balcke agreed to help him establish his own business, which Happel started one year later in a small workshop in Bochum.
1920
1920 Gesellschaft f r Entstaubungsanlagen GEA , a company producing dedusting equipment, founded.
1925
In 1925, Otto Happel acquired the Metallwerk Westfalia GmbH in Bochum, a company that had made equipment for him earlier.
1928
In 1928, a new large factory and a laboratory for thermodynamic and aerodynamic tests were built on a property in Wanne-Eickel near Bochum that was large enough for further growth.
1934
In 1934, the German Patent Office granted a patent for the elliptical finned tube with turbulators.
1935
In 1935, Otto Happel together with the German engineer Doctor Kurt Lang, started working on air-cooled condensers for stationary steam turbines used for electricity generation.
1939
In 1939, GEA commissioned the first pilot project using an air-cooled condenser for stationary steam turbines at the Waltrop Colliery in the Ruhr.
1948
The day after Christmas in 1948, GEA's founder Otto Happel died.
1950
The year 1950 saw two GEA firsts.
1953
In 1953, two new subsidiaries were founded the GEA W auml eaustauscher Berlin GmbH in Berlin for heat exchanger production, and the GEA Konvektorenbau Happel KG in Wanne-Eickel.
1958
In 1958, the GEA Gesellschaft f r Luftkondensation mbH was founded in Bochum to develop air-cooled condensers for steam and gas turbines--a growing market at that time.
1959
As one result, large orders were placed by companies from the petrochemical industry for oil refineries starting in 1959.
1962
In 1962, GEA established a joint venture in Glasgow, Ireland--James Howden-GEA Ltd.--which included a production facility in Northern Ireland.
1963
After founding its first foreign subsidiary in Austria in 1963, a new German factory was opened one year later in Obershausen in Hessen, thereby doubling its production capacity.
1965
When natural draught wet cooling towers were introduced to German power plants in 1965, GEA decided to market this new technology which fit well into its product line, especially for the utility industry.
When the Government Employees Association GEA was founded in 1965, its mission was to serve active and retired or former federal, state and local government employees including members of the military and National Guard.
1973
Prompted by the 1973 energy crisis, GEA Luftk hlergesellschaft developed heat exchangers that recovered process energy in large processing facilities in the chemical, steel producing, and other industries.
1974
GEA Konvektorenbau developed water-to-water heat pumps in 1974, and before long it dominated the European market for heat pumps for almost a decade.
1979
In 1979, GEA diversified into the food and process engineering market by taking over the Eduard Ahlborn GmbH in Hildesheim, northern Germany, a firm specialized in plate heat exchangers used for thermal treatment of milk, fruit juices, and beer.
1982
In 1982, the company made the biggest single deal in its history when it received a contract worth DM 360 million for air-cooled condensers for a 4,000 MW power station in Matimba, South Africa.
1992
1992 MG enters the field of special chemistry with the acqui-sition of Dynamit Nobel AG.
1994
1994 Start of a fundamental realignment of the MG Groupturning it into an innovative technology group.
1995
In 1995, when GEA celebrated the group's 75th anniversary, sales had surpassed DM 4 billion, generated by more than 17,000 employees.
1998
The joint ACEC Georgia GSPE office initially had two locations and one Executive Director then, the physical offices were merged into a single location on November 1, 1998.
1999
1999 Metallgesellschaft acquires GEA AG.
2000
2000 Metallgesellschaft AG becomes mg technologies ag.
2003
2003 Strategic realignment of the Group focusing on specialty mechanical engineering, especially process engineering and equipment and on plant engineering.
2004
2004 Disposal of the Chemicals division sale of four of the five business units in Dynamit Nobel AG.
2005
2005 Change in company name from mg technologies ag to GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft.
2006
In 2006, GEA moved offices to Peachtree Center and executed at six-year lease on its own account, with no lease payment guarantee required.
2007
2007 Sale of Plant Engineering Segment.
2011
2011 Acquisition of Convenience Food Systems CFS , headquartered in Bakel, Netherlands, and integration as today s 6th segment GEA Food Solutions.
2012
Post July 1, 2012, GEA reorganized into a collaborative coalition of professional societies and related industry organizations to serve the broad needs of Georgia s engineering community.
2015
In early 2015, the GEA Board decided to disband itself as a formal coalition lifting requirements of membership dues.
2020
GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft 2020.
Founded
1956
Company Founded
Headquarters
Glendora, CA
Company Headquarter

Similar Companies

Company NameFounded DateRevenueEmployee Size
Cameron andCompany1970
Cameron andCompany
1970
1970
$5.5M
$5.5M
45
45
Norrell1961
Norrell
1961
1961
9,500
9,500
Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency1964
Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency
1964
1964
$148.5M
$148.5M
1,949
1,949
ACS1906
ACS
1906
1906
$35.0M
$35.0M
375
375
Percepta2000
Percepta
2000
2000
$104.9M
$104.9M
4,450
4,450
iTAc Resources Sdn Bhd-
iTAc Resources Sdn Bhd
-
-
$15.0M
$15.0M
35
35
Spherion1946
Spherion
1946
1946
$5.5B
$5.5B
4,650
4,650
Corporate Services1986
Corporate Services
1986
1986
$30.0M
$30.0M
150
150
Payroll Management1986
Payroll Management
1986
1986
$136.7M
$136.7M
8,500
8,500
PLS1997
PLS
1997
1997
$375.0M
$375.0M
3,800
3,800