Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Bechtel Corporation is a global company headquartered in Reston, VA and engaged in the engineering, procurement, and construction of large-scale projects such as fossil and nuclear power plants, renewable energy, infrastructure (motorways, airports, etc.), processing facilities, multi-faceted chemical complexes, refineries, and pipelines.
As a major contractor engaged in the design and construction of large-scale projects in the United States and overseas, Bechtel has delivered projects in some of the most challenging ground conditions; thus, it is looking to add to its staff geotechnical engineers seeking challenging projects requiring geotechnical investigation program development and execution, design of complex ground improvement systems, deep foundation design and installation, advanced finite element modeling for geotechnical analysis, and other geotechnical-related project activities. Projects may be in the US or other countries.
We invite qualified engineers looking for opportunities to join our team to help deliver the most challenging projects in the world.
This position is for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer who will provide field support as needed, originate and check analytical calculations and numerical modeling, specifications and reports associated with various projects. The successful candidate will report to the project Geotechnical Engineering Manager, but should be able to work independently and exercise engineering judgment on problem definition, scoping, selection of design criteria, adoption and adaption of appropriate engineering techniques. The successful candidate must have strong organizational and teamwork skills, proven problem-solving abilities, a can-do attitude, and the desire to innovate designs. The successful candidate will be expected to support multiple projects, but may also be assigned to a project. The selected candidate will be expected to travel to the job site and other Bechtel and client offices in the U.S. and abroad for periods of time ranging from a few days to several months.
This role will support field investigations, review of site and subsurface geotechnical investigations data, originate and review geotechnical engineering designs and specifications, and prepare and review geotechnical studies for multiple projects in accordance with applicable procedures, codes, standards, and contract requirements. The work will require coordinating with other geotechnical engineers and other technical disciplines in a team environment and may include the following scope:
* Geotechnical design parameters for soil and/or rock-supported foundations.
* Bearing capacity and settlement calculations.
* Soil liquefaction assessments and mitigation.
* Ground improvement design and installation.
* Pile design and installation.
* Foundation settlement analysis.
* Soil and rock slope stability analyses.
* Soil and/or rock excavations support calculations.
* Engineering specifications including earthworks, piling, ground improvement, soil and/or rock excavation support, etc.
* Technical memo, study, and report writing.
* Vendor submittal review and integration into the design solution.
* Budget and schedule tracking and quality compliance.
* Coordination with other technical disciplines in planning and executing work as an integrated team.
* Level 1: An M.S. degree in Geotechnical Engineering or other related Engineering discipline from an accredited university or college with 5 years of progressive related experience in the field or a Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering and a minimum of 3 years of progressive related experience.
* Level 2: An M.S. degree in Geotechnical Engineering or other related Engineering discipline from an accredited university or college with 8 years of progressive related experience in the field or a Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering and a minimum of 6 years of progressive related experience.
* Relevant experience includes, but is not limited to, performing site and subsurface geotechnical investigations, geotechnical engineering designs and specifications, and preparing and reviewing geotechnical calculations and studies for power plants, infrastructure, industrial process facilities or complex building systems.
* Legal right to work in the US without sponsorship.
* Experience with Microsoft Office programs, and other common computer programs.
* Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
* Ability to utilize engineering and office automation tools effectively.
* Knowledge of industry and regulatory guides, codes, and standards.
* Broad knowledge of the application of geotechnical engineering design principles.
* Registered Professional Engineer in US (Geotechnical or related Engineering).
* Advanced knowledge of site and subsurface Investigation, development of engineering properties of soil and rock, foundation design and analysis, foundation analysis under dynamic loads and earthworks.
* Advanced knowledge of pile installation and testing, numerical analysis using FEM and FDM, soil and/or rock slope stability and construction specification.
* Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical or related Engineering, from an accredited university.
* Related experience in soil liquefaction analysis, construction dewatering, and construction supervision.
* Experience working with procedures meeting quality assurance programs (including nuclear) and occupational health and safety.
* Prior experience working on large industrial or civil infrastructure projects.
* Hands-on experience with industry-standard geotechnical software and computational tools.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we've completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.
$65k-92k yearly est.