Commercial Senior Underwriter (remote opportunity)
Remote or Philadelphia, PA
Summary: This position is responsible for achieving profitable underwriting results in support of growth and profit objectives by appropriate risk selection, agency relations, book management, self-development, and assistance in professional development of others.
What You'll Be Doing:
* Selects profitable risks by identifying and analyzing risk exposures against coverage desired.
* Manages and underwrites book of business to maintain profitable results, by identifying changes in risk exposures or characteristics, changes in loss trends as measured by loss ratio, loss frequency or other measures.
* Monitors new business production, renewal and policy retention trends, and agency production and loss ratio results within assigned territory to ensure objectives are met and if necessary develop appropriate corrective action alternatives to meet overall company objectives.
* Develops effective relationships with agents and other internal and external customers through effective communication, cooperation and periodic agency visits.
* Drives new business sales growth for Commercial Lines.
* Develops and maintains full knowledge of all policy forms, coverages, rating plans and manuals for all property and casualty lines written.
* Assists as needed in the training, mentoring and development of new or less experienced underwriting personnel.
* Manages assigned work to meet or exceed time and quality service standards.
* Reviews referrals within the referral guidelines and individual underwriting authority.
* Maintains appropriate underwriting documentation on the system or in writing as required.
* Agency Management - executes agency management routines to develop a profitable book of business with each agency: Develops and manages New Business pipeline to ensure a steady stream of business opportunities; analyze quality, volume, mix of business and profit for assigned producers; identify trends in submission activity and work to meet production targets as established; execute actions to achieve policy retention and pricing objectives; participate in agency review process; support Sales Relationship Manager/Territory Sales Manager in conducting sales, product, and process training for agencies and their staff.
* Responsible for agency travel to increase producer awareness of Enterprise underwriting appetites, philosophy and product offerings maximizing time with the right agencies.
* Embraces a culture of Continuous Improvement (CI) and actively identifies opportunities for improvement to increase efficiency and decrease waste, aiding in expense reductions for Commercial Lines.
* Exhibits the company's core values of integrity, candor, ownership, working together and doing the right thing.
* Places reinsurance and assists less experienced underwriters in obtaining reinsurance quotes.
* Assists with audits for individuals, team, and department.
* This position will work with the VA/PA team.
What You'll Bring To The Company:
Bachelor's degree and/or CPCU designation strongly desired. At least three years commercial multiple lines underwriting experience or completion of the Underwriting Training program or comparable experience within the property and casualty insurance industry required. Must possess excellent communication, time management, decision making, and PC skills. Ability to complete multiple tasks within set deadlines, be detail oriented, and have a willingness to participate in industry related continuing education and/or training (CPCU, INS, AU, AIS, CIC, etc) needed. Outstanding negotiation skills, including the ability to deal with conflict and handle difficult situations as well as provide a high level of customer service are a must. Travel as necessary (up to 25%) for agency visitations, agency meetings, seminars, etc.
Grange Insurance Company, with $3 billion in assets and more than $1.3 billion in annual revenue, is an insurance provider founded in 1935 and based in Columbus, Ohio. Through its network of independent agents, Grange offers auto, home, life and business insurance protection. Life insurance offered by Grange Life Insurance and Kansas City Life Insurance. Grange Insurance Company and its affiliates serve policyholders in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Who We Are:
We are committed to an inclusive work environment where we welcome and value diversity and inclusion. We hire great talent from a wide variety of backgrounds, and our associates are our biggest strength. The diversity of our associates, their backgrounds, experiences, and individual differences are the foundation for our success. Our inclusive culture empowers all of us to "Be One Team," "Deliver Excellence," "Communicate Openly," "Do the Right Thing," and "Solve Creatively for Tomorrow". We have active Associate Resource Groups and a Diversity and Inclusion Team, that focuses on professional development, networking, business value and community outreach; all which encourage and facilitate an environment that fosters learning, innovation, and growth. Together we use our individual experiences to learn from one another and grow as professionals and as humans.
We welcome the unique contributions that you bring from education, opinions, culture, beliefs, race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, handicap, disability, sexual orientation, gender stereotyping, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, pregnancy, veteran status, and citizenship.
Grange Enterprise is proud to be part of the CEO Action for Diversity and Inclusion™, a national initiative of more than 1400 CEOs working for the advancement of diversity and inclusion within the workplace.