Greek Orthodox Church Of Holy Company History Timeline

1800
The church of Russia 1448 1800 The third Rome Origin of the Muscovite patriarchateRelations between patriarch and tsarThe reforms of Peter the Great reigned 1682 1725.
1803
At the time of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the French and Spanish populations of New Orleans were predominantly Roman Catholic.
1821
The hanging of patriarch Gregory V from the gate of the patriarchate on Easter Sunday 1821 was accompanied by the execution of two metropolitans and twelve bishops.
1850
Indeed, Greece's autocephalous status, recognized by Constantinople in 1850, meant that it could elect its own head or kephale.
1864
A small group of New Orleans Greek merchants built the first church in 1864.
With recognition of the proud heritage and history of the Church and Community that started in 1864 as a center for Orthodox Christians in New Orleans.
1865
Later in 1865 the formal organization of Eastern Orthodox to raise funds for the purpose of building a church was created.
1866
The first Greek Orthodox Church of the Americas and a small cottage for the priest were built in 1866 as confirmed by news reports and the sale document of the property.
1900
The first Greeks came to Lansing, Michigan in the early 1900 s, a time of great promise and opportunities.
1917
The Synodal Period that followed lasted until the Bolshevik Revolution, when the patriarchate was once again restored 1917 . Today, Russia ranks fifth after the four ancient patriarchates of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem.
However, with the Bolshevik revolution of 1917, Orthodoxy found itself confronted with the beliefs and political policies of militant atheists.
1921
The Greek Archdiocese of North and South America itself was officially incorporated by the State of New York in 1921.
1922
The Albanian Orthodox Church split from the Greek Orthodox Church and declared its independence autocephaly in 1922.
1927
On May 28, 1927 their petition to form an Ahepa Chapter here was granted.
1933
170 see also Chester Beatty Papyri . The oldest complete canon of the Christian Bible was found at Saint Catherine's Monastery see Codex Sinaiticus and later sold to the British by the Soviets in 1933.
1939
On December 10, 1939 the order of business by the General Assembly was to form an ecclesiastical committee to submit a petition to the Archdioceses of North and South America, his Holiness Athenagoras, to establish a parish in Lansing so their faith, language, and customs would be perpetuated.
Father Samuel Vlahusis was our first local priest, in 1939.
1944
In 1944 the Philoptochos, Friends of the Poor , women's auxiliary was established.
1945
In 1945, the first church building was purchased, on the North East corner of South Washington Avenue and Elm Street.
1948
In 1948, Father John Sarantos and Presvetera Niki were assigned to Lansing, and became the first occupants, along with Father Vlahusis.
1950
Some Orthodox see a continuation of Roman Catholic hostility in the establishment of the Uniate or Eastern Catholic Churches see the sainting of Bissarion in 1950 .
1953
The officers of the Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Chicago authorized a group to organize a new parish in the western suburbs on March 20, 1953.
1954
The Reverend Father Nicholas Spellyotis celebrated the first sacrament of the new parish when he baptized Charles Maniatis on May 1954 at the Methodist Church in Maywood.
1958
By 1958, the Saginaw Marshall Street property was purchased, and early fund raising started.
1959
Reverend Father William Chiganos was appointed pastor of Holy Apostles Greek Orthodox Church and celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the gymnasium of the Nixon School in Westchester on July 12, 1959.
1961
The 280 family church purchased five acres of land on South Wolf Road in Westchester for 43,000 in 1961.
1965
Holy Apostles celebrated the Opening of the Doors on Sunday, June 27, 1965.
1970
Although it has provoked controversy, the establishment of the autocephalous Orthodox Church in America 1970 by the patriarch of Moscow has as its stated goal the resumption of normal territorial unity in the Western Hemisphere.
2000
For a year, it was as it was in the beginning of the parish when visiting priests served the community, under the direction of His Grace Bishop Nicholas of Detroit until 2000, when our present priest, a convert to Orthodoxy, Father Mark Sietsema Katherine was assigned.
2014
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral of New Orleans celebrated 150 years during 2014.
Click on the title above or here to see the full schedule of 150th Anniversary events that were held in 2014.
Founded
-
Company Founded
Headquarters
Biloxi, MS
Company Headquarter

Similar Companies

Company NameascdescFounded DateascdescRevenueascdescEmployee Sizeascdesc
William Penn-
William Penn
-
-
$750,000
$750,000
3
3
Florida Air Academy1961
Florida Air Academy
1961
1961
$30.0M
$30.0M
75
75
South San Francisco1908
South San Francisco
1908
1908
300
300
St. David's Episcopal Church-
St. David's Episcopal Church
-
-
7
7
FLS International1986
FLS International
1986
1986
$30.0M
$30.0M
150
150
Hispanic Ministry1852
Hispanic Ministry
1852
1852
$52.7M
$52.7M
2,750
2,750
Andrew Hill-
Andrew Hill
-
-
175
175
SVdP Parish Omaha-
SVdP Parish Omaha
-
-
35
35
Mission Bay Aquatic Center1971
Mission Bay Aquatic Center
1971
1971
$30.0M
$30.0M
1,120
1,120
Broadway Baby-
Broadway Baby
-
-
$1.8M
$1.8M
15
15
Find Jobs from Similar Companies
Personalize your job search. Where would you like to work?
0 selections