HARRIS CORP., a worldwide leader in the information processing industry, was founded in Niles, Ohio, in 1895 as the Harris Automatic Press Company.
The first automatic press, called the E-1, ships to Brooks Printing in November 1897.
Victor Talking Machine was developed in our Camden, NJ location in 1901.
The Thaw Telescope was designed and built by our Pittsburg, PA location in 1912.
The photographic program started in 1914 and to this day has collected some 110,000 exposures on glass plates.
Incorporated 1926 as Harris-Seybold-Potter CompanyEmployees 35,000Sales 3 billionStock Index New York Midwest Pacific Philadelphia Boston.
The first pilot trainers are sold to the United States Army Air Corps in 1934.
The first Electron Microscope was developed in our Camden, NJ location in 1940.
The company's name was shortened to Harris Seybold in 1946.
One of the earliest of these businesses was Radiation, Inc., established in 1950 by Homer Denius and George Shaw, both of whom were electronics engineers.
Harris developed a professional-quality, portable printing press for the army in 1951 to produce on-site multicolor maps, charts, and reconnaissance photos.
Hartley joined the firm in 1956, the same year that Radiation stock was first sold to the public.
After merging with the Intertype Corporation in 1957, it changed its name to Harris-Intertype Corporation.
Boyd joined Radiation in 1962 and within a year was made president of the firm.
By 1967 the company was one of Florida s largest employers at 3,000 employees and sales passed 50 million a year.
The two companies merged in 1967 under the Harris-Intertype name.
By 1970, electronics provided 50 of the company's 380 million sales.
In 1972, Harris-Intertype purchased General Electric s product line of TV broadcasting cameras, transmitters, studio equipment, and antennas for 5.5 million in cash, adding greatly to its original broadcasting product line.
Two years later, in 1974, Harris-Intertype acquired Datacraft Corporation and also divested itself of its corrugated paper machinery business.
But by 1976 things began to change for Harris over the following three years its stock rose more than 100 percent.
By 1977 Harris's sales were more than 646 million and earnings were greater than 40 million.
Harris opened a new plant in Melbourne, Florida, that year and moved its headquarters there from Cleveland in 1978, after changing its name to the Harris Corporation just four years earlier.
Boyd was appointed chairman and CEO two years later, in 1979.
In 1980 Harris made another important purchase, of the Farinon Corporation, a manufacturer of microwave transmitters, electronic switchboards, and other sophisticated telephone products.
The company reorganized its printing equipment sector as the Harris Graphics Corporation in 1982 and acquired Atlanta-based office systems supplier, Lanier Business Products, the following year.
In June 1987 the company agreed to settle out of court, for 1.3 million, a claim that Harris had overcharged NASA to upgrade the security system for a ground tracking station.
In fact, the firm's role in the American electronics industry is so important that in 1987 the Pentagon stepped in to prevent its acquisition by a foreign company.
By 1989 Harris had become the largest United States supplier of radio and television broadcasting equipment and dictating equipment and the largest producer of low- and medium-capacity microwave radio equipment.
Harris s 1989 formation of Lanier Worldwide was also paying off.
In January 1991 Harris learned that it had won a 1.7 billion Federal Aviation Administration contract to develop the voice switching and control system of the nation s air traffic control ATC communications systems.
Harris s push into another nondefense high-tech sector advanced energy management systems for electric utilities was strengthened in 1992 when Harris acquired Westronic Inc. of Canada.
John Hartley, the CEO of the firm until 1995, joined Radiation after serving on the faculty of Auburn University.
In 1995, Phil Farmer, a 13-year veteran with Harris, succeeded Hartley as Harris s chairman and CEO.
By 1995, the Harris Corporation employed 27,000 people and had annual sales of approximately 3.5 billion.
Harris Sells Business to Intersil, Wall Street Journal, August 17, 1999.
In early 1999, Harris put its semiconductor business up for sale in order to focus on its core communications equipment operations.
The Orkand Corporation was purchased in 2004 in a deal that added new customers to Harris's lineup, including the United States Postal Service, and the United States Departments of State, Energy, Health and Human Services.
Leitch CEO Says United States Buyer Will Speed Journey to China, Hamilton Spectator, September 2, 2005.
First Quarter Calendar 2021 Earnings Conference Call.
|Company Name||Founded Date||Revenue||Employee Size|
Booz Allen Hamilton1914
Exelis Advanced Engineering & Sciences International2002