Head Chef Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for head chefs in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 112,391 head chefs currently employed in the United States.
- 20.1% of all head chefs are women, while only 76.5% are men.
- The average age of an employed head chef is 39 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of head chefs is White (56.3%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (19.9%) and Black or African American (11.0%).
- The majority of head chefs are located in NY, New York and IL, Chicago.
- Head chefs are most in-demand in Phoenix, AZ.
- Head chefs are paid an average annual salary of $44,181.
- Edison, NJ pays an annual average wage of $64,260, the highest in the US.
- Head chefs average starting salary is $27,000.
- In 2021, women earned 93% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid head chefs earn as much as $71,000 or more.
- Nevada is the best state for head chefs to live.
- Head chefs are more likely to work at private companies in comparison to public companies.
Head Chef Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Head Chef
Women Earn 93¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Head Chef Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the head chef position over time.
Head Chef Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, corporate executive chef and chef de cuisine have the biggest difference in gender.
|Chef De Cuisine||86%||11%|
|Corporate Executive Chef||87%||10%|
Head Chef Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among head chefs is White, which makes up 56.3% of all head chefs. Comparatively, there are 19.9% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity and 11.0% of the Black or African American ethnicity.
- White, 56.3%
- Hispanic or Latino, 19.9%
- Black or African American, 11.0%
- Asian, 9.1%
- Unknown, 2.7%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 1.0%
Head Chef Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among head chefs.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Head Chef Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of a Head Chef
We determined the average age of head chefs based on ethnicity and gender.
Head Chef Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of head chef employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of head chefs is 40+ years old, which represents 45% of the population.
Types of Head Chef Degree Levels
Head Chef Wage Gap By Education
Head Chef Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ head chefs. We found that the most common company type is private. In addition, the industry that employs the most head chefs is the hospitality industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire head chefs.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Head Chef Work In
Employees with the head chef job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most head chefs prefer to work at private companies over public companies.
Top Industries Hiring Head Chefs
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ head chefs. Those industries include hospitality, retail and manufacturing.
Head Chef Turnover And Employment Statistics
Head Chef Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of head chefs changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Head Chef Stay in a Job
By looking over 9,265 head chefs resumes, we figured out that the average head chef enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 37%.
Comparing The LGBT Ratio of Head Chefs with Other Job Titles
After finding the gender ratio, we wondered if the percentages of LGBT persons were different as well. Using the data below, you can see how other job titles compare to head chefs.
|Dining Room Server||7.39%|
|Server And Certified Trainer||9.75%|
|Fast Food Worker||11.55%|
Foreign Languages Spoken By Head Chefs
The most common foreign language among head chefs is Spanish at 39.4%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is French at 15.4% and Italian is the third-most popular at 13.8%.
- Spanish, 39.4%
- French, 15.4%
- Italian, 13.8%
- Thai, 4.5%
- Japanese, 4.5%
- Other, 22.4%