Information Technology Professional Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for Information Technology Professionals in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 377,919 Information Technology Professionals currently employed in the United States.
- 23.1% of all Information Technology Professionals are women, while 73.2% are men.
- The average age of an employed Information Technology Professional is 41 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of Information Technology Professionals is White (61.0%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (14.3%) and Asian (11.1%).
- The majority of Information Technology Professionals are located in CO, Denver and NY, New York.
- Information Technology Professionals are most in-demand in Houston, TX.
- Information Technology Professionals are paid an average annual salary of $71,809.
- San Ramon, CA pays an annual average wage of $100,072, the highest in the US.
- Information Technology Professionals average starting salary is $53,000.
- In 2021, women earned 95% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid Information Technology Professionals earn as much as $96,000 or more.
- Rhode Island is the best state for Information Technology Professionals to live.
- Information Technology Professionals are more likely to work at Public companies in comparison to Private companies.
Information Technology Professional Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Information Technology Professional
Women Earn 95¢ For Every $1 Earned By Men
Information Technology Professional Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the Information Technology Professional position over time.
Information Technology Professional Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, Senior Data Center Engineer and Senior Windows Engineer have the biggest difference in gender.
|Informatics Nurse Specialist||14%||82%|
|Clinical Support Specialist||21%||73%|
|Information Technology Professional||73%||23%|
|Senior Windows Engineer||93%||4%|
|Senior Data Center Engineer||96%||2%|
Information Technology Professional Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among Information Technology Professionals is White, which makes up 61.0% of all Information Technology Professionals. Comparatively, there are 14.3% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity and 11.1% of the Asian ethnicity.
- White, 61.0%
- Hispanic or Latino, 14.3%
- Asian, 11.1%
- Black or African American, 10.2%
- Unknown, 3.0%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.4%
Information Technology Professional Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among Information Technology Professionals.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Information Technology Professional Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of an Information Technology Professional
We determined the average age of Information Technology Professionals based on ethnicity and gender.
Information Technology Professional Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of Information Technology Professional employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of Information Technology Professionals is 40+ years old, which represents 55% of the population.
Types of Information Technology Professional Degree Levels
- Bachelors, 61%
- Associate, 19%
- Masters, 12%
- High School Diploma, 3%
- Other Degrees, 5%
Information Technology Professional Jobs You Might Like
Information Technology Professional Wage Gap By Education
Information Technology Professional Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ Information Technology Professionals. We found that the most common company type is Public. In addition, the industry that employs the most Information Technology Professionals is the Technology industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire Information Technology Professionals.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Information Technology Professional Work In
Employees with the Information Technology Professional job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most Information Technology Professionals prefer to work at Public companies over Private companies.
Top Industries Hiring Information Technology Professionals
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ Information Technology Professionals. Those industries include Technology, Manufacturing and Education.
Information Technology Professional Turnover And Employment Statistics
Information Technology Professional Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of Information Technology Professionals changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Information Technology Professional Stay in a Job
By looking over 1,263 Information Technology Professionals resumes, we figured out that the average Information Technology Professional enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 29%.
Foreign Languages Spoken By Information Technology Professionals
The most common foreign language among Information Technology Professionals is Spanish at 52.6%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is Portuguese at 7.9% and German is the third-most popular at 5.3%.
- Spanish, 52.6%
- Portuguese, 7.9%
- German, 5.3%
- French, 5.3%
- Swedish, 2.6%
- Other, 26.3%