Manufacturing Engineer (2950-056)
Remote or Muskegon, MI
Knoll, Inc. is a constellation of design-driven brands and people, working together with our clients in person and digitally to create inspired modern interiors. We are part of MillerKnoll, the engine powering the world's most dynamic design brands. Our internationally recognized portfolio includes furniture, textiles, leathers, lighting, accessories, and architectural and acoustical elements. Our brands - Knoll Office, KnollStudio, KnollTextiles, KnollExtra, Spinneybeck | FilzFelt, Edelman Leather, HOLLY HUNT, DatesWeiser, Muuto, and Fully - reflect our commitment to modern design that meets the diverse requirements of high-performance workplaces, work from home settings and luxury residential interiors. A recipient of the National Design Award for Corporate and Institutional Achievement from the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, we can help organizations achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), Living Building Challenge and WELL Building workplace certifications. To learn more about our initiatives to support more inclusive and diverse communities, visit Knoll.com/Community.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Coordinates and leads manufacturing projects and teams for the design, development, installation, and documentation of new and/or existing processes, equipment, and tooling. Manufacturing engineers assure that the highest quality, least costly manufacturing processes will be implemented and are followed. Areas of expertise include but are not limited to tool engineering, roll forming, industrial engineering, automation engineering, plant layout, safety, finishing and electrical engineering.
MANGEMENT BY OBJECTIVES:
Each year the Manufacturing Engineer will coordinate with the Engineering Manager the specific results, improvements, or accomplishments required to support Knoll department and site objectives.
* Process owner: Designs, develops, and researches new processes or improvements to existing processes, tooling, and equipment. Manufacturing engineers will provide to manager a detailed analysis of capacity, alternatives considered, financial analysis and detailed recommendations for process direction and implementation.
* Project leadership: Assumes project leadership role for one or more complex manufacturing engineering projects as assigned by manager. Responsible for project implementation including coordinating timing and controlling capital and product cost.
* Project team member: As a product development team member, applies engineering techniques to determine the best design to minimize labor, material, and overhead costs. Manufacturing engineers will work with product engineers and designers to review form, fit, function, and finish of product design to assure manufacturability. Utilizes engineering principles and tools to calculate and evaluate alternative manufacturing processes for best possible production cost. Utilizes personal computers to complete the cost analysis and transmits data to Accounting for completion of the financial analysis.
* Safety and environmental compliance: Ensures that all new and/or existing processes comply with corporate policy in the areas of health, safety and environmental assurance. Analyzes, recommends, and oversees installation of health, safety and environmental equipment required to meet applicable codes, standards, and regulations.
* Quality / ISO compliance: Works with Quality Assurance to insure that all quality aspects of product design and manufacturing are met, by applying statistical techniques and manufacturing engineering principles as required. Insures all company procedures regarding product quality and equipment procurement are met.
* Production support: As a team member with production, troubleshoots operational issues on a daily basis. Significant time will be spent on the shop floor. Initiates, recommends, and installs correction action where appropriate.
* Supplier contacts: Contacts and occasionally travels to customer and supplier sites, agencies, and universities to obtain information relative to existing products, purchased parts, material selections and manufacturing processes.
* Continuous improvement: Maintains up- to-date state-of-the-art knowledge in the area of manufacturing engineering methods and processes. Shares this information with other associates via training and/or day to day contact.
* ECN's, managing change: Processes ECN's. Develops methods, materials, labor standards, and routings for all manufacturing processes. Enter process information into the manufacturing production system.
* Champions Lean Manufacturing Principles: Assures that Lean Manufacturing principles are expanded and adhered to throughout Knoll. Assures utilization of appropriate documentation and visual aids (standardized work, combination tables, kanban tickets, heijunka tags, etc.).
* Assists in program launches. Coordinates with Product Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Safety, and Production to assure process capability, generic equipment design, and optimum work balancing prior to program launches.
* Assures integrity of manufacturing processes. Assures the Integrity of manufacturing processes is maintained and improved after program launch by developing process checks/controls, and a method to trigger a response when the checks/controls indicate a deviation from established parameters.
* Participates as a member of the Engineering Team. Participates in ongoing development, communication and implementation of team concepts, programs, and policies. Coordinates work to ensure best practices with all team members. Attends appropriate team meetings. As a member of the Technical Team, fosters strong cohesiveness regarding all major issues; e.g., direction, annual plan, budget, policy changes, etc. Accepts responsibility to quickly identify any areas of lack of cohesiveness, bringing them to the attention of the team leader and working with the team in a supportive manner to resolve issues effecting cohesiveness. Actively look for ways, and reinforce actions needed, to achieve synergy possible within the larger organization.
* Performs other duties as necessary in support of business objectives. This position description is intended to guide the activities of the Manufacturing Engineer. It is not intended to limit the thinking and creativity of the person to the work of this function. Nor is it intended that this describe all the work that may be required of the person in this position.
* Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent.
* Technical Experience: The disciplines of Electrical Engineer, Industrial Engineer, Facilities Engineer, Finishing Engineer, Roll Form Engineer, Tool Engineer & Mechanical Engineer are all combined under this job description. Focused experience on one of these disciplines may be required for a given position. Verbal and written communication skills. Must have knowledge of basic CAD systems. PC skills are required, including working knowledge of word processing and spread sheet applications. Must be able to work in a development oriented team environment.
* Industry Experience: Experience applying lean manufacturing principles required.
* Lean Manufacturing: Ability to utilize lean manufacturing principles and techniques.
* Problem Solving: Ability to troubleshoot, identify the root cause of, and develop and implement effective solutions to problems.
* Project Management: Ability to develop, communicate and implement project management plans. Ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
* Communication: Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, to various levels within the organization.
* Teamwork: Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
MillerKnoll is an Equal Employment opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or other applicable laws. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the application or interview process, please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MillerKnoll is a federal contractor and is subject to the requirements of Executive Order 14042. As such, we are requiring all of our U.S.-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 4, 2022.