Assistant Store Manager, Petsense
Assistant Store Manager Job in La Grande, OR
This position is responsible for proficiency in all areas of a retail operation. The position serves as the second in charge of operations to the Store Manager. Duties include providing leadership and direction to the store team, ensuring a positive customer shopping experience and performing operational activities throughout the store and giving appropriate direction to the store Team Members. This position is also responsible for promoting a safe and productive work environment for all Team Members, customers, and vendors, as well as training Team Members on the appropriate application of policies and procedures.
It is essential that you be available, flexible, adaptable, and service-oriented, as you must be able to fulfill all of the following requirements:
* Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
* Work scheduled shifts and have the ability to work varied hours, days, nights, weekends and overtime as dictated by business needs.
* Uphold and promote a safe and productive work environment by following and enforcing policies and procedures.
* Take the initiative to support selling initiatives (TEAM):
* Thank the Customer
* Engage with the customer and/or pet
* Advise products or services
* Make it Memorable
* This position is required to perform a combination of the following duties during 95 percent of their day. Although the mix may vary from one day to another, our business and staffing model makes it essential that every person in this position be able to perform all of the following duties accurately, efficiently and safely on a regular basis and without advance notice:
* Assist Store Manager in Store Operations including: driving sales and profit, customer loyalty, planning, prioritization, and delegating of daily tasks.
* Support Store Manager in Team Member counseling, hiring/staffing decisions, scheduling, Team Member training and development, and maintaining a productive work environment.
* Execute assigned basic, promotional, and seasonal merchandising activities.
* Perform Opening/Closing procedures.
* Transport and make deposits to bank.
* Assess store conditions and assign duties.
* Organize and prioritize workflow through the use of the daily planner.
* Recovery of merchandise.
* Participate in mandatory freight process.
* Perform regular and promotional price change activities.
* Resolve customer complaints/issues and ensure the customer has a positive experience.
* Adhere to loss prevention standards and respond to any alarm calls as needed.
* Communicate with Team Members on job functions, responsibilities and financial goals.
* Operate cash register/computer supervising cash handling procedures.
* Assist Team Members on appropriate application of policies and procedures.
* Ensure the safety and well-being of live animals. Sanitize and maintain holding tanks and care for live animals as required
* Complete all documentation associated with any of the above job duties
* May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Experience: Previous retail leadership experience is required. Experience with pet/live animal knowledge is strongly preferred. Supervisory experience preferred. Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver's license.
Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred, but not required. Regardless of education level,Team members must be able to read, write and count accurately.
Professional Certifications: None.
Other knowledge, skills or abilities:
* Ability to perform and execute principle responsibilities of Team Members.
* Pet/Live Animal, pet food, pet product knowledge is strongly preferred.
* Strong interpersonal skills and ability to resolve issues ethically and with minimal conflict.
* Basic computer skills.
* Working environment is favorable, generally working inside with moderate noise. Indoor floors and outdoor lots generally are hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt, etc.) Lighting and temperature are adequate.
* Work shifts vary from one store to another, but generally are no less than 4 hours and may exceed 8 hours.
* Promote a safe and productive work environment for all Team Members, customers, and vendors, as well as train Team Members on the appropriate application of policies and procedures.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
This position is non-sedentary. It is essential that you have the physical and mental stamina and ability to move throughout the store and outdoor areas quickly and safely; to operate all equipment related to their job duties efficiently, safely, properly and accurately; and to provide the highest level of customer service. Team members must have the physical and mental ability to perform all of the following tasks (with or without reasonable accommodation):
* Ability to move and transfer merchandise, weighing up to 50 pounds, throughout the store.
* Ability to occasionally lift or reach merchandise overhead.
* Ability to frequently stand, kneel, twist, crouch, squat, bend, stoop, and climb ladders.
* Ability to move throughout the store for an entire shift.
* Ability to safely access all areas of the store including selling floor, stock area, and register area.
* Ability to constantly operate store equipment such as computer, cash register, and other store equipment.
* Ability to read, write, and count accurately to complete all documentation.
* Ability to utilize strong written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with team members and customers.
* Ability to process information / merchandise through the point-of-sale system.
* Ability to handle and be in contact with live animals.
* Ability to successfully complete all training and certifications to care for live animals.
* Ability to travel as required in support of district needs.
* Ability to drive or operate a vehicle for business needs
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. A team member should perform all duties as assigned by his/ her supervisor.
Petsense by Tractor Supply is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tractor Supply Company (NASDAQ: TSCO), is a small-box pet specialty retailer focused on meeting the needs of pet owners, primarily in small and mid-size communities. Founded in 2005, Petsense specializes in providing a large assortment of pet food, supplies and services, such as grooming and training, and offering customers a tailored experience while providing the top-quality products they need at a price they love. Petsense is proud to carry brands such as Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Pro Plan, Science Diet, Victor, 4health, and Royal Canin. Petsense is also committed to promoting responsible pet ownership through pet adoptions, community involvement and education. For more information on Petsense, visit www.Petsense.com.
Petsense by Tractor Supply offers a competitive Benefits package, including Medical, Dental, & Vision plans, to all Full-time Team Members as well as Part-time Team Members who are deemed eligible based on a minimum hours requirement. In addition, Petsense by Tractor Supply offers access to other Benefits such as Pet Insurance, a Health Savings Account, Life Insurance, 401(k), and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan.