Material Handler/Lab Assistant I
If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq: NVAX) is a biotechnology company that promotes improved health globally through the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. Novavax is currently conducting multiple late-stage clinical trials for NVX-CoV2373, our vaccine candidate against the virus that causes COVID-19, and has recently reported exciting and highly encouraging initial efficacy results. NanoFlu, our quadrivalent influenza nanoparticle vaccine, met all primary objectives in its pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial in older adults. Both candidate vaccines incorporate Novavax' proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M adjuvant to enhance the immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies. Novavax is a leading innovator of recombinant vaccines. Our proprietary technology platform leverages the power and speed of genetic engineering to efficiently produce highly immunogenic nanoparticles in order to address urgent global health needs.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
The Material Handler/Lab Assistant I position is an entry level position responsible for basic laboratory operations and material handling to ensure the Discovery and Preclinical laboratories are able to perform efficiently. This person will serve as department specific courier to deliver animal study immunization materials to local CROs. Courier assignments will also include serum pick-up from local CROs, serum delivery to local collaborators, and may include material transfers between company locations. This person will be required to assist with, then eventually maintain inventory of general supply reagents and consumables used in lab operations. They will assist supervisor with tracking calibration and preventative maintenance schedules for equipment used in the Preclinical and Antibody Discovery laboratories.
The Material Handler/Lab Assistant I receives detailed instruction and guidance on each component of work, which will be overseen by their supervisor. The Material Handler/Lab Assistant I will also be responsible for picking up and distributing delivered reagents and consumables to end users from Materials Management storage location. This will include the inventory and delivery of animal serum samples. This position requires work with animal serum and in-house virus samples at lower temperatures in a laboratory setting. Position will require replacing and ordering compressed gas cylinders for Discovery labs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Deliver and pickup animal study related materials (immunizations or serum) to local CROs.
* Submit shipping requests and coordinate shipments with Materials Management.
* Receive and deliver reagents, consumables, and serum samples based on detailed delivery instructions provided by supervisor twice daily.
* Retain and organize PO receipt documents from Materials Management.
* Maintains efficient, well-organized laboratories, manages supplies, and helps supervisor maintain equipment calibration and preventative maintenance schedules.
* Lab equipment and instrument maintenance: monthly sterilization of water baths, weekly UV sterilization of Biosafety Cabinets; refill water pans in incubators on a weekly basis
* Individual is responsible for maintaining laboratory supplies by inventorying stock; verifying receipt, restocking lab and discarding expired reagents. Individual will ensure lack of inventory is never a limiting factor in laboratory operation.
* Assist supervisor with inventorying freezers and organizing serum samples
* Individual will help supervisor track all department chemicals and maintain chemical database
* Individual will maintain daily temperature and gas logs for freezers and incubators in Preclinical and Discovery labs.
* Manage biohazard waste disposal by taping up burn boxes when ¾ of the way full and constructing new burn boxes for use on a weekly basis.
* Must be able to prioritize workload in response to the specific needs of department
* Ensures accurate storage for all reagents and serum samples
* Prepares wash buffer and other reagents as needed by research associates
* Keep management informed of day to day progress
* Replacing and ordering compressed gas cylinders as necessary
* Daily pickup, washing, drying, or autoclaving of glassware and metal utensils as needed
* Understanding the Standard Operating Procedures and equipment associated with his/her duties.
* High School Diploma required
* Valid Drivers License required
* Vehicle required for courier runs
* Some undergraduate biological science coursework or certificate preferred
* Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills
* Prior Knowledge of laboratory equipment is preferred.
* Ability to work in a cold environment with exposure to dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and infectious agents for up to 6 hours per day
* Must use personal protective equipment and adhere to safety protocols
* Must be able to lift, push and carry up to 50lbs
* Requires ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form
* Requires knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Word
* Typically prefer 0-1 years' laboratory work experience with ordering, inventory, data entry, shipping/receiving and sample handling/management.
* Prefer knowledge of Universal Precautions, general laboratory and quality assurance/ control.
Novavax is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
$24k-41k yearly est.