Maintenance Machinist Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for maintenance machinists in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 25,662 maintenance machinists currently employed in the United States.
- 7.6% of all maintenance machinists are women, while only 89.2% are men.
- The average age of an employed maintenance machinist is 47 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of maintenance machinists is White (74.8%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (12.4%) and Asian (5.6%).
- The majority of maintenance machinists are located in IL, Aurora and SC, North Charleston.
- Maintenance machinists are most in-demand in Helena, MT.
- Maintenance machinists are paid an average annual salary of $51,987.
- The automotive industry is the highest-paying for maintenance machinists.
- Newport News, VA pays an annual average wage of $56,118, the highest in the US.
- Maintenance machinists average starting salary is $32,000.
- In 2021, women earned 86% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid maintenance machinists earn as much as $82,000 or more.
- 6% of all maintenance machinists are LGBT.
- Pennsylvania is the best state for maintenance machinists to live.
- Maintenance machinists are more likely to work at private companies in comparison to public companies.
Maintenance Machinist Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Maintenance Machinist
Women Earn 86¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Maintenance Machinist Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the maintenance machinist position over time.
Maintenance Machinist Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, mechanic, welder, truck driver and engine lathe operator have the biggest difference in gender.
|Special Process Person||30%||63%|
|Die Repair Machinist||96%||2%|
|Engine Lathe Operator||98%||2%|
|Mechanic, Welder, Truck Driver||99%||1%|
Maintenance Machinist Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among maintenance machinists is White, which makes up 74.8% of all maintenance machinists. Comparatively, there are 12.4% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity and 5.6% of the Asian ethnicity.
- White, 74.8%
- Hispanic or Latino, 12.4%
- Asian, 5.6%
- Black or African American, 5.4%
- Unknown, 1.2%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.6%
Maintenance Machinist Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among maintenance machinists.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Maintenance Machinist Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of a Maintenance Machinist
We determined the average age of maintenance machinists based on ethnicity and gender.
Maintenance Machinist Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of maintenance machinist employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of maintenance machinists is 40+ years old, which represents 72% of the population.
Types of Maintenance Machinist Degree Levels
The most common degree for maintenance machinists is high school diploma 31% of maintenance machinists earn that degree. A close second is associate degree with 30% and rounding it off is bachelor's degree with 21%.
- High School Diploma, 31%
- Associate, 30%
- Bachelors, 21%
- Diploma, 10%
- Other Degrees, 8%
Maintenance Machinist Jobs You Might Like
Maintenance Machinist Wage Gap By Education
Maintenance Machinist Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ maintenance machinists. We found that the most common company type is private. In addition, the industry that employs the most maintenance machinists is the manufacturing industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire maintenance machinists.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Maintenance Machinist Work In
Employees with the maintenance machinist job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most maintenance machinists prefer to work at private companies over public companies.
Top Industries Hiring Maintenance Machinists
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ maintenance machinists. Those industries include manufacturing, technology and retail.
Maintenance Machinist Turnover And Employment Statistics
Maintenance Machinist Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of maintenance machinists changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Maintenance Machinist Stay in a Job
By looking over 4,176 maintenance machinists resumes, we figured out that the average maintenance machinist enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 29%.
Comparing The LGBT Ratio of Maintenance Machinists with Other Job Titles
After finding the gender ratio, we wondered if the percentages of LGBT persons were different as well. Using the data below, you can see how other job titles compare to maintenance machinists.
|Screw Machine Hand||5.42%|
Foreign Languages Spoken By Maintenance Machinists
The most common foreign language among maintenance machinists is Spanish at 51.4%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is Carrier at 10.8% and French is the third-most popular at 8.1%.
- Spanish, 51.4%
- Carrier, 10.8%
- French, 8.1%
- Russian, 5.4%
- Mandarin, 5.4%
- Other, 18.9%