Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Mount Erie, IL
The Sow Farm Manager supports the Mission of Smithfield Hog Production by meeting or exceeding budgeted volumes of marketable animals into the Smithfield system. Responsibilities also require direct management of company systems, including cost reporting and budgeting, training/developing employees, animal welfare, and implementing and monitoring corporate program standards on employee safety, environmental management, and biosecurity.
* Manages all activities/processes related to farm management and operations. Schedules/performs according to all standard procedures and policies set out by company technical manuals.
* Manages financial performance by controlling costs, budgeting, business and financial planning, and tracking financial activity via P&L review.
* Plans, sets and monitors goals, then communicates results to Production Specialist.
* Develops subordinates by leading, planning (short and long term), managing, coaching, mentoring and providing a positive professional image at all times.
* Establishes and maintains open communication with all farm staff, management, other departments, external customers and suppliers, refers all external communication to appropriate SHP spokesperson to identify potential problems and initiate improvements.
* Manages and administers all Human Resources/employee relations functions relating to farm management such as compensation, records, vacation, performance reviews, etc.
* Ensures the operation is functioning in an environmentally responsible way and practicing approved land and nutrient management techniques. Functions as a company steward of land resources.
* Ensures that the farm working environment is safe, by providing equipment, training, and actions to prevent hazardous conditions by meeting Smithfield-IPS standards.
* Ensures all equipment, machinery and vehicles are accounted for and properly maintain