Regional Packaging Engineer -Remote
Regional Packaging Engineer - Packaging CoE - Various Locations
This is a Salaried Exempt position.
The Packaging Engineer job is primarily a technical support role for ADM packaging and warehouse operations within the Packaging CoE (center of excellence) team. The packaging CoE is a part of the Process Optimization CoE.
This role will participate in all business units of ADM as needed primarily in their Region. The role will collaborate with operations, technical CoE's, procurement, strategic sourcing and commercial, to capture value, ensure best practices and standards are deployed and align with business priorities. The packaging engineer uses their expertise in packaging systems to provide technical and operational performance leadership. Responsible for key performance indicators, measures of success, applying safety and food safety/quality standards and best practices within all packaging technologies. This role is a key link between the Packaging CoE and collaboration of deployment of standards, best practices and continuous improvement opportunities to create value within the region and globally as applicable, interlinked with Performance Excellence principles and tools.
Packaging engineers apply their packaging expertise to monitor production processes, packaging equipment selection, packaging materials cost vs quality optimizing the packaging system, solve production and packaging problems, support capital projects and provide input to process and packaging continuous improvements projects. Involvement might include sizing of equipment, identifying equipment capacity requirements, developing process control systems, increasing efficiencies of packaging line equipment and work with packaging material suppliers. They are exposed to installation of new equipment and modification of existing equipment, along with all of the inherent training and start up issues that must be addressed following best practices and standards. The packaging engineer will need to write technical reports from plant visits and support with follow up. Monitoring, and in some cases, guiding cost savings projects, packaging materials and supporting with appropriate documentation. Initiating and managing supplier relationships in conjunction with Strategic Sourcing efforts.
ADM's dry packaging operations involve the use of multiwall bags, drums, totes, pouches and boxes. In the liquid packaging operations involves the use of PET, glass, Jerry Cans, Aseptic and UHT, Bag in box and HDPE containers.
Key accountabilities and ownership:
• Packaging Strategies
• Packaging efficiency improvements
• Packaging material and process improvement leadership
• Packaging Materials specifications
• Knowledge Management
• Innovation Leadership
• Value creation and sustain the base
• Develop, coach and lead others
• Leadership in packaging, warehousing and material handling areas.
• Support capital and NDE projects
• Support continuous improvement through Performance excellence methodologies
• Technical support for quality complaints
• Safety and Food safety standards improvements
• Utilize KPI's and metrics to identify improvements areas and sustain value for continuous improvements
• Develop and deploy best practices and packaging standards, including performance guarantees
• Collaboration with other operations CoE's to capture value, ensure best practices and standards are deployed and align with business priorities
• Capture areas to digitalize metrics
• Drive value by overseeing packaging and warehousing systems and cost savings initiatives
• Develop and optimize packaging processes
• Function and collaborate as a team; provide or receive coaching and develop other team members
• Define and build a prioritized global pipeline of packaging savings and improvement projects that drive costs out of our packaging materials and operations aligned with the agreed packaging strategies with strategic sourcing.
• Support plant teams with troubleshooting problems related packaging to help identify causes and solutions.
• Packaging materials specification support, testing and analysis
• Any other duties as assigned
This position will be part of the Packaging CoE and reports to Director of Global Packaging within the Process Optimization CoE.
Travel: 25-50 %.
B.S. in Engineering or Packaging Technology
8+ years operations experience.
Inclusive 4+ years direct packaging experience
Hands on troubleshooting experience of mechanical and/or electrical systems
Organized, detail focused and methodical.
Project management skills
Preferred experience with Performance Excellence.
Strong analytical and problem solving ability
Basic knowledge of Process Safety and applications for design for packaging equipment.
Knowledge of Food Safety best practices as it applies to packaging food products.
Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
• Able to lift and transport materials and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds on a frequent basis, up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis and up to 55 pounds overhead.
Lifting or carrying of weights over 50 pounds is rare. Employees are encouraged to request assistance in lifting or carrying objects that weigh more than 50 pounds.
• Able to traverse up to two (2) miles during the course of a work day.
• Able to move about or to a work site by stooping, bending, kneeling or squatting frequently during the course of a work day. May require periods of prolonged sitting or standing.
• Able to operate equipment or diagnose / detect issues of machinery that may be located at different heights. May require work on ladders, scaffolding or other work at heights.
Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically powered tools and test equipment, to move throughout the facility, including climbing stairs in all buildings, and to work at heights.
The role is open to remote or at locations anywhere in United States.
Relocation assistance is available with this position.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of applicable pre-employment drug screen, medical questionnaire and a background check.
IL - Illinois
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We're a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world's premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn more at www.adm.com.
$56k-71k yearly est.