Patent Attorney Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for patent attorneys in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 3,805 patent attorneys currently employed in the United States.
- 19.3% of all patent attorneys are women, while only 72.0% are men.
- The average age of an employed patent attorney is 45 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of patent attorneys is White (79.9%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (7.0%) and Black or African American (5.5%).
- The majority of patent attorneys are located in DC, Washington and IL, Chicago.
- Patent attorneys are most in-demand in Tarrytown, NY.
- Patent attorneys are paid an average annual salary of $96,081.
- The pharmaceutical industry is the highest-paying for patent attorneys.
- Redwood City, CA pays an annual average wage of $141,467, the highest in the US.
- Patent attorneys average starting salary is $51,000.
- In 2021, women earned 94% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid patent attorneys earn as much as $177,000 or more.
- 21% of all patent attorneys are LGBT.
- Massachusetts is the best state for patent attorneys to live.
- Patent attorneys are more likely to work at private companies in comparison to public companies.
Patent Attorney Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Patent Attorney
Women Earn 94¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Patent Attorney Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the patent attorney position over time.
Patent Attorney Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, patent attorney and patent examiner have the biggest difference in gender.
|Veteran Appeals Reviewer||15%||76%|
Patent Attorney Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among patent attorneys is White, which makes up 79.9% of all patent attorneys. Comparatively, there are 7.0% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity and 5.5% of the Black or African American ethnicity.
- White, 79.9%
- Hispanic or Latino, 7.0%
- Black or African American, 5.5%
- Asian, 5.5%
- Unknown, 1.9%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.2%
Patent Attorney Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among patent attorneys.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Patent Attorney Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of a Patent Attorney
We determined the average age of patent attorneys based on ethnicity and gender.
Patent Attorney Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of patent attorney employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of patent attorneys is 40+ years old, which represents 63% of the population.
Types of Patent Attorney Degree Levels
- Bachelors, 45%
- Doctorate, 42%
- Masters, 11%
- Associate, 1%
- Other Degrees, 1%
Patent Attorney Jobs You Might Like
Patent Attorney Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ patent attorneys. We found that the most common company type is private. In addition, the industry that employs the most patent attorneys is the professional industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire patent attorneys.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Patent Attorney Work In
Employees with the patent attorney job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most patent attorneys prefer to work at private companies over public companies.
Top Industries Hiring Patent Attorneys
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ patent attorneys. Those industries include professional, technology and manufacturing.
Patent Attorney Turnover And Employment Statistics
Patent Attorney Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of patent attorneys changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Patent Attorney Stay in a Job
By looking over 961 patent attorneys resumes, we figured out that the average patent attorney enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 32%.
Foreign Languages Spoken By Patent Attorneys
The most common foreign language among patent attorneys is Chinese at 21.8%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is Mandarin at 20.0% and Japanese is the third-most popular at 12.7%.
- Chinese, 21.8%
- Mandarin, 20.0%
- Japanese, 12.7%
- Spanish, 9.1%
- Cantonese, 7.3%
- Other, 29.1%