University of California
Remote or Santa Cruz, CA
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to Policy.
Employees can submit proof of vaccination online or request an exception.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Physical Planning, Development & Operations (PPDO) manages and oversees all University activities and services related to physical and environmental planning, design and construction, engineering, physical plant maintenance and operations, capital planning and space management, and the associated business services necessary to support these functions. The University's main campus is spread across more than 2,000 acres and includes over 500 buildings comprising more than 8 million square feet. The department includes operating budgets of over $48 million, manages a capital project portfolio of approximately $500 million, and employs nearly 300 full time staff to carry forth the duties necessary for the campus' development and operation.
Under the supervision of the Inventory Manager, a Stores Worker is responsible for all phases of shipping and receiving at the Physical, Planning & Development Shop Store.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 11-04-2021
Salary Information: $20.84 - $23.46 Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full
Full time, Fixed
# Hours weekly: 40
Days of Week: M-F
Employee Classification: Career
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: SX
Job Code Classification: 005063 (STORES WORKER)
60% - Shipping & Receiving
Inspect incoming items and packing slips against existing material orders and releases to determine accuracy of initial delivery.
Troubleshoot, verify and resolve discrepancies to assure proper delivery of misdirected items.
Assist delivery drivers to locate proper destination using all available resources (e.g. the financial information system, contact with purchasing personnel, etc.).
Maintain ongoing log of all incoming packages for UCSC delivery reference.
Assist delivery drivers using powered (i.e. forklift) and non-powered equipment to off load trucks.
Assess proper procedure to rectify misdirected shipments contacting department buyer and/or vendors directly to obtain correct items.
Work with department buyer to obtain RMA numbers and shipping instructions from vendors to return damaged or improperly delivered merchandise.
Annotate packing slips with pertinent Stores Warehouse information (i.e. part number, pricing, freight charges, job numbers, etc.) and enter into database.
Stock all Stores Warehouse merchandise in correct locations labeling items as necessary.
Arrange existing stock as necessary to allow for new inventory placement.
Contact Physical Plant personnel to pick-up ordered stock or deliver to them as needed.
Assist in performing random inventory counts and annual inventory. Reconcile actual counts against computer stated inventory.
Address aged inventory to ensure Stores maintains a reasonable turns ratio.
Ensure that Stores maintains an up-to-date catalog for all parts carried. Act as a backup for his/her peers.
30% - Deliveries
Deliver mechanical room supplies (i.e. 1-2 tons of salt for water softeners, filters, etc.) to proper mechanical rooms and other locations throughout campus on an ongoing basis.
Deliver large items to campus locations for other PPDO departments as needed. This could include the delivery and setup of scaffolding.
Deliver Stores Warehouse inventory items to campus departments upon request, keeping track of correct time to assure proper funding recharge amounts.
Pick-up and deliver various items from off campus vendors as needed.
Deliver received skilled crafts supplies to the Central Heat Plant as needed.
10% - Shop Maintenance
Duties also include adherence to specific standards of housekeeping, safety, and the care of equipment.
Other duties as assigned by management.
* Basic knowledge of warehouse and delivery operations, including proper recording of receipts and issuance of materials/supplies in a large institutional environment.
* Ability to work independently with initiative or in a team setting.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to effectively interact and communicate with members of the campus community and off campus suppliers.
* Ability to read, write and perform mathematical (addition/subtraction/division/percentages) calculations in order to verify invoices, packing slips, inventory records, etc.
* Ability to follow oral and written instructions (e.g. delivery or pick-up instructions).
* Ability to exercise good judgment to ensure that the lifting and movement of material is undertaken safely at all times, requesting assistance from coworkers and/or using moving equipment to handle loads that are too heavy or cumbersome for a single person to move unaided.
* Experience in safely operating a forklift and flatbed truck.
* Typing skills sufficient to perform data entry tasks.
* Knowledge of personal computers, inventory databases, Microsoft software, and the willingness to learn new programs.
* Maintain that quality is the top priority in the execution of unit affairs.
Special Conditions of Employment
* Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) pull notice program.
* Ability to perform heavy manual tasks including the ability to move up to 50 pounds; moving materials such as cartons, equipment, supplies, etc., with or without accommodation.
* Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained on our website.
* The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
$36k-49k yearly est.