Fifty years later, in 1835, Captain W.A. Richardson was designated as the port s first Harbor Master.
Long Wharf or Central Wharf now Commercial Street was the first major pier built in San Francisco 1848 50 . It eventually extended 2,000 feet into the Bay over shallow water and mud flats that prevented ships from docking at the shoreline.
By the Fall of 1850, about six thousand feet of pier space, extending into the bay like the fingers of two large hands and costing about one million dollars, had been constructed.
Some wharves were developed to such an extent that by 1851-52, they were small cities of stores, shops, and storeships lining the waterfront.
San Francisco also had its share of savory characters, so much so that in 1851 the first Vigilance Committee was established.
The Port traces its official beginning to this date in 1863, but the Port s history goes back much further in time.
In 1863, Governor Leland Stanford signed legislation Senate Bill 90 creating a Board of State Harbor Commissioners for San Francisco to better serve maritime commerce for the entire state and to protect the waterfront from total private control.
He bought the business in 1867 and renamed it G.T. Brown Co., continuing his efforts to document the gold rush towns and other Bay Area settlements.
Brown sold his business in 1872 in order to devote his time to traveling and painting.
On October 2, 1875, the Palace Hotel officially opened.
The Palace Hotel below , built in 1875, envisioned by William Chapman Ralston and William Sharon, was reputedly the largest, most luxurious and costly hotel in the world.
By 1880, over two and a half miles of seawall were completed from Fisherman s Wharf in the north to China Basin Channel in the south.
In 1892, planning began to replace the Ferry House with a new, efficiently planned building designed by A. Page Brown.
In 1898, the Ferry Building rose at the foot of Market Street as headquarters for the Harbor Commission and a vast ferry boat fleet that served the entire Bay.
The army first shipped men and supplies to the Pacific through San Francisco in 1898 during the Spanish-American War.
Six million tons of goods from around the world passed through the Port in 1900.
Like most of the waterfront, the Ferry Building escaped virtually unscathed in the 1906 earthquake and fire that destroyed most of downtown San Francisco.
The Port had constructed 23 piers along the waterfront by 1908.
As early as 1912, Fort Mason served as the headquarters for the San Francisco Port of Embarkation.
Maritime commerce flourished and the Port experienced a steady increase in trade after the opening of the Panama Canal in 1914.
The Port of Embarkation, completed in 1915, included three long wharves designed so the transport ships could align up against them supplies were stored in adjacent warehouses and sheds.
Tonnage at the Port increased sharply to 14.5 million tons in 1922.
In the fall of 1939, the SFPE personnel had expanded to 130 military personnel and over 500 working civilians.
Following the end of the war in 1945, the Port faced another identity crisis brought on by containerization.
The Ferry Building and Embarcadero were blocked by the Embarcadero Freeway beginning in 1959, creating a dramatic physical barrier between the waterfront and the city.
In 1972, the San Francisco Port of Embarkation was listed as a National Historic Landmark.
To learn detailed information about the historic buildings, download the San Francisco Port of Embarkation Historic Structure Report NPS, 1991 PDF 24 MB.
For the first four deserters who have left any ship or ships of the Squadron since the 4th day of July last, 2000 two thousand dollars, or 500 each.
On April 24, 2013 the Port of San Francisco celebrated the 150th anniversary of the creation of the State Harbor Commission.
All eyes are on San Francisco's waterfront, as the city prepares for the 34th America's Cup, to be held in San Francisco in 2013.
|Company Name||Founded Date||Revenue||Employee Size|
National Exchange Carrier Association-
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston1914
Public Consulting Group1986
World Consulting Group-