Manager, Regional Operations - Kauai
Regional Operation Manager Job in Lihue, HI
The Manager, Regional Operations is an essential member of the management team and is responsible for the direction and supervision of longshore workers, and supervising and coordinating all phases of operations relating to the local region. Responsible for the selection, promotion, training and retention of regional operations personnel. Develops and directs the regional budget/plan, casualty investigations, equipment repair, and coordination of operations. Develops and implements standard operating procedures designed to ensure regulatory compliance of personnel and vessels consistent with company ISO/ISM/SMS Programs, Vision, Mission and Core Values.
* Exercises direct supervision of the overall port operations.
* Maintains a positive safety culture, schedules regular safety meetings and enforces safety rules and regulations as they apply to freight operations.
* Oversees the implementation, execution and compliance with company initiatives as they apply to freight operations.
* Coordinates with maintenance and local contracted service providers to ensure documented timely repair and maintenance of all shore-side equipment as well as procurement of replacement machines or repair parts.
* Coordinates with IT on repair or replacement of all electronic devices.
* Monitors operational performance and timely communication of relevant information to appropriate company personnel.
* Responsible for the overall cleanliness and safe condition of the freight operations area.
* Develops, coordinates and implements operational plans. Submits daily reports to appropriate company personnel.
* Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
* Adheres to all company policies.
* Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
Supervisory and Leadership of Direct Staff
* Supervise up to 20-30 union-represented employees and responsible for all matters of employment including recruiting, training, development, promotion, discipline and termination to ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreements and company policies.
* Conduct investigations by gathering facts and interviewing witnesses.
* Understands and complies with the Companies Affirmative Action Plan, EEO, Non-Discrimination, Harassment, and all other HR policies and procedures.
* Effectively communicates regional goals and objectives.
* Provides direction and leadership to achieve company Core Values, Mission and Safety Vision.
* Processes employee evaluations in a timely manner.
* Directs, motivates and develops employees for maximum performance.
* Develops operating expense budgets for the local operation inclusive of budgeting and cost estimating for current and future operations activities to include the financial management of operational expenditures, as well as capital improvements. Periodically reports production and cost results as necessary.
* Responsible for the timely approval and submission for payment of payable invoices generated in the conduct of company business and support of freight operations. Responsible for accurate accounting, replenishment and security of petty cash fund.
* Maintains oversight of equipment detention/cargo storage charges.
* Maintains oversight of DOT applied revocable permit and associated charges for assigned port.
* Oversees the generation of charge out costs associated with freight operations.
* Provides input to the annual budget process.
* Develops and maintains a working knowledge of USCG, US customs and OSHA regulatory requirements. Implements and enforces as they apply to freight operations.
* Develops and maintains a working knowledge of applicable freight tariffs.
* Responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of employees' time worked, attendance and benefit use to the payroll department.
* Prepares and administers performance appraisals of employees.
* Participates in the screening and interviewing of prospective employment candidates.
* Represents management at the first step of the grievance procedure on those originating at assigned port.
* Responsible for the timely and accurate administration of company claims reporting process.
* Develops and maintains a working knowledge of port security requirements as they pertain to facility security and cargo movement.
* Performs duties of YB Alternate Facility Security Officer under the guidance of company FSO in accordance with USCG mandated facility security plan.
* Provides and maintains positive customer service levels to both internal and external customers.
* Develops and maintains positive individual business relationships.
* Provides assistance and pertinent information to Sales and Marketing Dept regarding local business concerns, new business, requests for contract or rate data.
* Provides timely communication of operational initiatives to the local businesses and other customers.
* Represents the Company at government, community or business meetings, forums or events where time or other operational commitments allow.
* Assists in the initiation and coordination of company or freight ops sponsored events and meetings.
* Provides information and input on a variety of topics and issues inclusive but not limited to: strategic plan, cost of service, CBA, PUC, SOP, and Tariff.
* Performs other tasks as directed by members of the executive team. KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Geography of operating area including ports, facilities and running times.
* Personal computers and office equipment.
* Federal and state rules and regulations pertaining to barge, terminal, and freight operations.
* Basic non-financial accounting principles and methods.
* Estimating and job cost management.
* Strong Knowledge of labor contracts and work rules.
* Strong transportation and logistics background with a thorough understanding of the day-to-day operations, their limits, their capabilities and both internal characteristics and external factors influencing them.
* Understanding of the individual roles, interactions and responsibilities of employees.
* Ability to interpret, administer and insure compliance with government regulations construction, maintenance & repair, safety, training, work rules and emergency response.
* Understanding of financial cost accounting, budgeting, forecasting and financial planning processes to effectively manage multiple budgets on a routine basis.
* Good organizational and planning skills are essential.
* Proficient in the English language and with strong written and oral communicative skills to draft business letters, develop reports, present oral presentations, create policies & procedures and write repair specifications.
* Good interpersonal skills to work well with customers, peers, superiors, subordinates, competitors and the general public.
* A strong appreciation for and sensitivity to the needs of our customers recognizing that the Company is a specialty service provider.
* Team player willing and able to exercise authority when required.
* Negotiating skills to deal with regulators, customers, vendors and labor unions. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent (Bachelor's degree preferred) and experience in freight transportation/logistics industry is a must. Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience of union-represented employees. The experience necessary is dependent upon the individual, but a minimum of 5 years of related experience is usually needed. Working Conditions: Work is performed in environments ranging from outside to inside, noisy to quiet, hot to cold, and wet to dry as well as in normal office environments. May be required to work more than a normal workweek, including weekends. Travel may also be required. Regular and predictable attendance is a requirement.
Physical/Mental Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be involved with accessing vessels, sometimes climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching overhead. Must be able to lift and carry at least 25 lbs.
Young Brothers, Limited is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Young Brothers, Limited is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled