One of the best ways to acquire the skills needed to be a systems programmer is to take an online course. We've identified some online courses from Udemy and Coursera that will help you advance in your career. Since systems programmers benefit from having skills like provide technical assistance, video conferencing, and c++, we found courses that will help you improve these skills.
Systems Programmer Skills For Your Resume And Career
Research Summary. Below we've compiled a list of the most important skills for a systems programmer. We ranked the top skills based on the percentage of systems programmer resumes they appeared on. For example, 11.8% of systems programmer resumes contained provide technical assistance as a skill. Let's find out what skills a systems programmer actually needs in order to be successful in the workplace.
- The most common hard skill for a systems programmer is provide technical assistance. 11.8% systems programmers have this skill on their resume.
- The second most common hard skill for a systems programmer is video conferencing appearing on 7.7% of resumes. The third most common is c++ on 7.5% of resumes.
- Three common soft skills for a systems programmer are detail oriented, troubleshooting skills and analytical skills.
Below we've compiled a list of the most important skills for a systems programmer. We ranked the top skills based on the percentage of systems programmer resumes they appeared on. For example, 11.8% of systems programmer resumes contained provide technical assistance as a skill. Let's find out what skills a systems programmer actually needs in order to be successful in the workplace.
15 Essential Systems Programmer Skills For Your Resume And Career
1. Provide Technical Assistance
- Provide technical assistance to applications development staff and others in computer user community.
- Provide technical assistance to end-users.
- Provide technical assistance in IBM DOS/SE and VM system software to a large base of large and small client companies.
- Provide technical assistance with Database Administration in order to identify and limit data issues with the DTMS Database.
- Provide technical assistance to operations, team members and development staff.
2. Video Conferencing
- Contributed to reduction of travel expenses and carbon footprint by supporting and implementing the virtual technologies such as video conferencing.
- Implemented and supported Tandberg's PC based video system (MOVI) and video conferencing with Tandberg units.
- Designed and implemented a map projection animation application using Microsoft Visual C++ and WinG.
- Project Configuration Manager, C++ Developer and Technical Lead for Computer Operations Production Support.
- Developed applications and maintained COBOL, Java, C++, Oracle, SQL, and DB2 programs in a 24/7 environment.
- Designed, developed, and integrated applications in Ada, C++ and Perl to provide communication to other systems.
- Developed snippets of code on Visual Studio.NET suite, COM, Visual C++ and Visual C#.
And if you’re looking for a job, here are the five top employers hiring now:
- Installed software; administered storage; maintained, administered, and supported corporate security database and tape management system.
- Conceptualized, planned and implemented database access modules interfacing with BenXL UABC product to various relational platforms.
- Release management procedures for Development, Customer test and Production environment for database and non-database objects.
- Performed troubleshooting activities with database management system to interface between the application software and application database.
- Lead a team that performed Database Administration and server administration for various telecommunication related projects.
- Assisted management with business case for elimination project, gathering expense information and varying termination dates of all mainframe software.
- Collaborated with other internal divisions in detection and resolution of noted issues and provided mainframe and SMTP troubleshooting and resolution.
- Provided detailed mainframe maintenance and infrastructure support including program deployment, patches, and updates nationwide during scheduled system downtime.
- Frequent presenter and lecturer, providing informational briefings to upper management regarding health and capacity of the mainframe.
- Created capacity planning strategies of Mainframe and Open System based applications to ensure proper monitoring of critical infrastructure/software.
6. Technical Support
- Provide operations, systems and applications programming departments with technical support for mainframe including hardware support for in-house network environment.
- Maintained account management and organized technical support for five widely known health care providers.
- Provided technical support, security administration, and troubleshooting to large development user community.
- Implemented, tested and evaluated document management systems and provided administrative and technical support.
- Developed operation manual for district operation's staff and provided system technical support.
Choose From 10+ Customizable Systems Programmer Resume templates
Zippia allows you to choose from different easy-to-use Systems Programmer templates, and provides you with expert advice. Using the templates, you can rest assured that the structure and format of your Systems Programmer resume is top notch. Choose a template with the colors, fonts & text sizes that are appropriate for your industry.
- Applied genetic algorithm in simulation to prevent system from manipulating in Java.
- Supported e-commerce applications using Visual Age Java over a Linux environment.
- Installed IBM DB2 utility suite and related product features including Client Management package, REXX support, net.data and JAVA support.
- Programmed in ASP, Java Script and HTML to maintain the electric vehicle fleet system of UCR IntelliShare Research Center System.
- Performed modifications, maintenance, and resolved IE10 compatibility issues for existing LMS JAVA and JSP applications in the Eclipse environment.
8. System Performance
- Balanced server load capacity with sister data center in Atlanta to ensure optimal flow of high-volume data and uninterrupted system performance.
- Appreciated for developing heavily optimized Dynamic C code, resulting in reduced boot times and improved overall system performance otherwise.
- Monitored system performance using TMON, identifying, reporting on and resolving anomalies that adversely affected system performance.
- Monitor and troubleshoot overall system performance, ensuring system integrity and high-availability across sites.
- Modify internal system parameters to aid system performance or business requirements for development.
9. Technical Assistance
- Provided technical assistance to other data center personnel in programming techniques, system manipulation, telecommunications, and resolution of problems.
- Worked with Database and Applications personnel solving problems with and providing technical assistance on applications and systems.
- Provided technical assistance to operations, quality assurance and applications staff on various software.
- Led projects, worked independently and provided technical assistance for problem resolution.
- Provided technical assistance to programming personnel for printing and system access.
Systems Programmer Jobs
10. Disaster Recovery
- Maintained disaster recovery documentation and implementation.
- Developed automated Disaster Recovery procedure.
- Charged with leading team in updating and maintaining all business disaster recovery processes, providing high-level failure analysis on technical resources.
- Enhanced REXX code, generating data center disaster recovery documentation and JCL, successfully used in multiple large-scale recovery exercises.
- Planned and executed Disaster Recovery exercises for system files and application files deemed critical for re-establishing the data center.
- Provided the overall project coordination between operations, development and systems organizations for the enterprise wide implementation of several DB2 versions/releases.
- Performed requirements gathering from users, development and other support groups regarding DB2 configuration and feature activation.
- Provide strategic planning and project leadership over DB2 systems standardization, configuration, migration and maintenance.
- Completed several diagnoses of performance problems within DB2 environments.
- Provided DB2 tuning recommendations and monitoring support.
- Customized Linux based transformer control systems per customer requirements.
- Developed automated Linux installation and maintenance process.
- Managed and supported several s/390 Linux environments.
- Lead development of enterprise-wide Linux standard.
- Maintained and administered the college's batch scheduling application, Control-M. Scheduler was used in MSSQL, Linux and Windows environments.
- Managed enterprise-wide CICS software projects that provided on site technical systems programming support to Temple University.
- Provided programming support at the Systems Programmer level interfacing into power to offload spooled data into VSAM files accessed by CICS.
- Performed daily CICS data collection using CICS shutdown statistics and TMON data in order to recommend performance enhancements to my customers.
- Advised CICS development on functional changes to take advantage of hardware cache enhancements, improving the performance of future CICS releases.
- Performed maintenance and customization support for CICS gateway and CICS/TS at various version levels running under z/OS for multiple system environments.
14. System Software
- Performed a variety of support tasks including system software development, process automation, and fault isolation/analysis.
- Recommended system software; trained staff to use software and develop procedural documentation.
- Modified operating system software in response to performance problems and changing business priorities.
- Installed, maintained, debugged and customized communications system software products.
- Implemented and maintained system software in testing and production environments.
- Improved stability/maintainability of UNIX computing environments by cleaning up administrative files, upgrading software, troubleshooting and debugging.
- Provided network administrator duties and performed Windows and UNIX administration tasks.
- Supported internal UNIX systems and communication equipment.
- Served as core technology group team leader for planning operating systems and hardware support for MVS, Unix and Windows platforms.
- Identified a significant degradation in performance after the local Active Directory replica was removed, impacting both Windows and Unix hosts.
- Provide Technical Assistance, 11.8%
- Video Conferencing, 7.7%
- C++, 7.5%
- Database, 5.4%
- Mainframe, 4.7%
- Technical Support, 3.4%
- Java, 3.4%
- Other Skills, 56.1%
skills are in demand
Jobs With Trending Skills
Systems Programmer Jobs You Might Like
- High Paying Systems Programmer Jobs - $138K and Up
- Work From Home Systems Programmer Jobs
- Entry Level Systems Programmer Jobs
- Part Time Systems Programmer Jobs
- Actively Hiring
- No Degree Systems Programmer Jobs
List Of Skills To Add To Your Systems Programmer Resume
According to recent trends, the most relevant systems programmer Resume Keywords for your resume are:
- Provide Technical Assistance
- Video Conferencing
- Technical Support
- System Performance
- Technical Assistance
- Disaster Recovery
- System Software
- Software Products
- SQL Server
- Problem Resolution
- Party Software
- Management System
- Problem Determination
- Capacity Planning
- System Support
- Object Oriented Programming
- C Net
Real Examples Of Systems Programmer Resumes That Use These Skills
Build a professional systems programmer resume in minutes. Browse through our resume examples to identify the best way to word your resume. Then choose from 12+ resume templates to create your systems programmer resume.
2015 - Present
Web Application Developer
2011 - 2015
Tata Consultancy ServicesEdison, NJ
Junior .NET Developer
2007 - 2011
DeloitteNew York, NY
Bachelor's Degree Computer Science
2004 - 2007
National UniversityNorth Torrey Pines Road, LA Jolla, CA
SdlcRacfGo-LiveLdapWindowsPl/SqlTechnical ExpertiseCRMZ/OSData Centers
2016 - Present
2013 - 2016
Unix Systems Administrator
2007 - 2013
West Des Moines, IA
Bachelor's Degree Computer Science
2004 - 2007
Oakbrook Terrace, IL
New York, NY
Systems Programmer2015 - Present
Citi•New York, NY
Production Control Analyst2013 - 2015
Citi•New York, NY
Production Support Analyst (Part-Time)2006 - 2008
Glaxosmithkline USA•Chapel Hill, NC
Customer OrdersParty SoftwareProduction ProcessingManagement SystemWindowsJCLVariance AnalysisProblem ResolutionPerformance IssuesWeb Services
Bachelor's Degree Mathematics2005 - 2008
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill•Chapel Hill, NC
Ready To Start Your Systems Programmer Resume?
Choose Your Current Work Experience To Start Creating Your Resume
Online Courses For Systems Programmers
1. IBM Mainframe Developer
Gain the job-ready skills for an entry-level mainframe programming role. Mainframe computers continue to power many mission-critical, financial, banking, and government agency systems. There are 220 billion lines of COBOL in use today. 43% of banking systems are built on COBOL, and 95% percent of ATM swipes rely on COBOL code.¹\n\nCOBOL is scalable, mature, and self-documenting. You'll learn about COBOL from its birth and through its evolution. You'll learn new features and aspects of the...See More on Coursera
2. Mainframe: Code DB2 on COBOL Programs for Absolute Beginners
Master the DDL and DML operations on DB2. Code multiple COBOL DB2 Programs. Master the concept of Cursors on DB2...See More on Udemy
3. Fundamentals of Unix and Linux System Administration
Master Linux/Unix System administration through a practical and hands on approach...See More on Udemy
4. Linux System Programming Techniques & Concepts
For Developers - Build Linux Programmable Libraries, Makefiles, Memory Management, Compilation & Linking, C Programming...See More on Udemy
5. SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery (HA/DR)
Dive deep into how SQL Server works to implement an effective high availability and disaster recovery solution...See More on Udemy
6. Mainframe: The Complete COBOL Course From Beginner To Expert
Become an Expert on COBOL Programs by coding it. Run COBOL Programs with JCL. Basic TSO/ISPF operations are also covered...See More on Udemy
7. Advanced Linux System Administration
This course will teach you everything you need to know to be an Advanced system administrator...See More on Udemy
8. Mainframe: The Complete JCL Course from Beginner to Expert
Become an expert on JCL. Jcls are used for COBOL Programs. Procedures, Utilities, GDG and basics of TSO/ISPF are covered...See More on Udemy
9. Linux System Programming - A programmers/Practical Approach
Files, Memory and Process management, Fork, Signals, Threads, IPC - Pipes, FIFO, message Queue, Semaphores, Shared Memory...See More on Udemy
10. DB2 For Beginners
Execute SQL Queries on an IBM DB2 Database Server...See More on Udemy
11. The Complete Mainframe Professional Course - 4 Courses in 1
The first step in learning about Mainframes. Covers COBOL, JCL, VSAM, TSO/ISPF, Unix System Services and CICS...See More on Udemy
12. Linux Operating System: A complete Linux guide for Beginners
Linux Command Line, Ubuntu, shell scripting, bash shell, Linux Administration, Linux Operating system, IT job essentials...See More on Udemy
13. The Complete Job Control Language (JCL) Course.
Mainframe JCL Procedures, SORT, GDGs, Libraries, Utilities such as IEBCOPY, IEBGENER etc are explained in detail...See More on Udemy
14. Linux Certified System Admin - SA1 (RHEL7)
Prepare for Linux Exam and gain sufficient skill to perform core system administration tasks...See More on Udemy
15. Project Based SQL Course: Code like a SQL Programmer
Attempt Projects and Tests on a mock database that is designed to simulate the day-to-day work of a SQL programmer...See More on Udemy
16. Oracle PL/SQL Fundamentals vol. I & II
A complete introduction to PL/SQL database programming language...See More on Udemy
17. TCP/IP Socket Programming Windows Linux Interview - C & C++
Scratch to Master - TCP/UDP Protocol Client/Server Socket Program-OSI Networking Concept Bootcamp Course with Execution...See More on Udemy
18. Windows Server 2012 System Administration: Get an IT Job!
Learn Systems Administration! The easiest way to stack your resume & get a high paying IT Job - Step-by-step guide!...See More on Udemy
19. Database Management System from scratch - Part 1
Learn Database Management Systems from scratch as Database Management System forms the core of computer science...See More on Udemy
20. Introducing z/OS UNIX System Services
UNIX System Services are introduced, and the role of z/OS as a server in the open systems environment is discussed. This is an introductory level course. It provides an overview of z/OS UNIX System Services (usually abbreviated to z/OS UNIX) as seen by the user. Details of installation and implementation for system programmers are not covered in this course...See More on edX
Ready To Build Your Resume?
Ready To Build Your Resume?