Johns Hopkins Hospital Company History Timeline

(2,691 Jobs)
1889

As a Baltimore American headline put it on May 7, 1889, the hospital’s opening day, “Its aim is noble,” and its service would be “for the good of all who suffer.”

The Johns Hopkins Hospital, completed in 1889, was considered a municipal and national marvel when it opened.

1895

He divided his time between his country house, Clifton, where he entertained the Prince of Wales and other notable people, and a colonial rowhouse on West Saratoga Street. (Clifton was sold to the city in 1895 and the house served for many years as the Clifton Park Golf Course’s club house.

1932

1932: The Baltimore City Health Department and the School of Hygiene and Public Health established the Eastern Health District, a one-square-mile model research and training area in the neighborhood surrounding the Hopkins medical campus.

1944

1944: The BCHD opens the Somerset Health Center at the corner of Orleans and Central avenues.

1947

The City Health Department established a Medical Care Section in 1947.

1948

After Harry Chant resigned as director of the EHD in 1948 to direct the Medical Care Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital, the position was vacant for years at a time.

1958

“Jesus came in through the north door," according to the hospital's first doorman, William Thomas, who remained with the hospital until he died in 1958.

1, 1958, box 187, folder 2237 "200 L Johns Hopkins University-School of Hygiene and Public Health 1958-61,” RFA.

1968

6, 1968 memo to Faculty of the School of Medicine and School of Hygiene and Public Health and Staff of Hospital, "Health Care Programs 1968-69" folder.

1969

1969: On July 1, 1969, the Maryland state departments of health and mental hygiene were combined into a single cabinet-level agency.

To spearhead the research aspects of the community health programs, Malcolm Peterson began as director of the Health Services Research and Development Center on July 1, 1969.

The Eastside Development Corporation was formed in late 1969 to promote community development and economic investment, and proposed a new housing development surrounding the Hopkins community clinic.

1970

The United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare rejected the JHU Affirmative Action Program submitted in March 1970, resulting in a temporary withholding of federal funds from the university until a revised program was submitted in June.

1970: Baltimore City's population was 44 percent black.

1972

1972: Steven Muller, the new president of Johns Hopkins, also became president of Johns Hopkins Hospital after the former president retired.

The goal of improving the quality and availability of health services in East Baltimore was seriously undermined by the 1972 departure of Gordon and Urban Center director Sol Levine.

1973

The University seeks good community relations with all race/ethnic components of the Baltimore metropolitan communities. . . . At the Health Divisions, the 'Eastbo Fair' [begun in 1973] is also an important community relations program.

1974

1974: In January 1974, Barbara Starfield, chair of the SHPH Affirmative Action Committee, sent a letter to department chairs and chairs of active search committees requesting what specific actions their departments had taken to implement the school's affirmative action policy.

1983

Designed by architect Grosvenor Atterbury and renovated in 1983 by RTKL Associates, the Edwardian-style building's two wings partially overlook Fells Point and form a U around a garden court, complete with its own fountain, boxwood and trees.

Founded
1867
Company Founded
Headquarters
Baltimore, MD
Company Headquarter

Johns Hopkins Hospital Jobs Nearby

Johns Hopkins Hospital Jobs

Johns Hopkins Hospital Similar Companies

Find Jobs from Similar Companies
Personalize your job search. Where would you like to work?
0 selections

Johns Hopkins Hospital Similar Companies Jobs