Johns Hopkins Medicine
Work Week: Full Time
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: Nov. 24, 2021
Network Engineer III
Requisition #: 440084
Location: Johns Hopkins Suburban Hospital, Bethesda, MD
Shift: Full Time (40 hours), Day Shift; 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt; Pay Grade: IW
Under general direction, leads the planning, forecasting, implementation, and identification of resource requirements for network backbone infrastructures (inclusive of wireless technologies) of moderate complexity. The scope of this position typically affects the delivery of campus backbone network resources for a large number of local and wide-area connected buildings.
Trouble-shoots, monitors and maintains network components and functionality on a campus/enterprise-wide level. Position provides consultation to IT users in designated business units for aspects of network connectivity functions, issues of increasing traffic, and determining the path between hosts across the network. Candidate communicates with end users about the scheduling and delivery of changes within the network topology and participates in the technical aspects of network changes and workflow. Position leads the design, change control processes, deployment and maintenance of network infrastructure in relation to requests for service in conjunction with vendors, technicians, and clients.
Scope of work is based on assignment of designated buildings and geographical locations of business units as well as the immediate response to intermittent, latent, or lack of network connectivity. This position will lead complex network designs and assist the Network Architect and/or Network Security Architect positions as required. This position will provide input to Network Architect, Network Security Architect's and network Manager Positions for very broad and complex network enhancements that encompass and impact the entire Institution. This position is considered the third tier level of support for networking issues.
Bachelors degree required, Additional experience may substitute for education.
Minimum of 6 years related experience. Additional education may substitute for experience
CCNA and CCDP certification preferred.
CCIE certification highly desirable.
* Candidate must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to write & speak clearly and effectively.
* Candidate must have excellent organizational skills
* Must be able to multi-task in a high energy environment, work independently, exhibit a positive demeanor, and have superb attention to detail.
* Candidate must also be proficient in Microsoft office.
* Expert understanding of routed and routing protocols.
* Must demonstrate broad theoretical knowledge of wireless networking and a solid understanding of wireless LAN technologies.
* Expert understanding of Classless Internet Domain Routing (CIDR); ability to clearly explain and articulate CIDR, VLSM, etc.
* Expert knowledge of EIGRP and BGP and demonstrated ability in configuring both protocols in large scale enterprises
* Expert knowledge of QOS, MPLS, Metro Ethernet and related technologies.
* Demonstrated ability in understanding redundant technologies, such as HSRP, spanning tree, VSS, etc.
* Expert understanding of IPv4 and 32-bit numbers, IP, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Serial Line Interface Protocol Frame Relay, VLANs, Ethernet, and access control lists (ACLs).
* Thorough working knowledge of IPv6 and 128-bit numbers
* Thorough understanding of different IPv4 addresses, inclusive of loopback, unicast, multicast, limited and directed broadcast.
* Expert understanding of the OSI network model, Ethernet, and TCP/IP networking
* Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex IPv4 routing issues.
* Thorough understanding and demonstrated track record of implementing and managing complex networking technologies within a production data center setting that serves thousands of users
* Demonstrated ability in understanding, implementing, and supporting various load balancing technologies, such as CSM (Content Switching Modules), ACE (Application Control Engine, Advanced AP load balancing strategies, etc.
* Demonstrated ability of understanding, implementing, and supporting enterprise level CWDM and DWDM solutions
* Ability to implement local EAP authentication (against local user list, and external LDAP), L3 security policies, wired and wireless Guest technologies, L2 security policies (802.11i, static dynamic WEP, mac filtering, etc.), Local DHCP services for clients, AAA (WLC to Radius/LDAP).
* Ability to implement and managing wireless controllers in a large enterprise setting (> 10 controllers), WCS, create and deploy template, template groups, prepare building/floor map, create floor coverage proposal, and validate client connectivity/troubleshoot client via WCS/WLC, validate location information in WCS/WLC, validate security events with WCS/WLC and validate trap generation and notifications in WCS/WLC
* Demonstrated ability to configure security devices, such as firewalls, intrusion detection devices, intrusion prevention, etc.
* May configure and maintain network related systems that run Windows, Linux, or Unix as an operating system.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.