Counsel, Labor & Employment
The Morning Consult, LLC
About Morning Consult:
Morning Consult is a billion-dollar, global enterprise technology company specializing in intelligent data to power leaders' intelligent decisions. The company's proprietary technology, including both AI and machine-learning solutions, pairs with leading, high-frequency datasets and access to more than 100 million people globally, to optimize decision making. Morning Consult's proven advantage drives more accurate decisions at unparalleled speed and scale.
COVID-19: Morning Consult's top priority is the health and safety of our employees, their families and the communities where they live and work. As part of our commitment to health and safety, we require all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Morning Consult offers a reasonable accommodation process for individuals who are unable to meet our vaccination requirement due to a disability, medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Morning Consult is looking for an entrepreneurial, business-oriented lawyer to support its People (HR), Talent and Operations teams. The Counsel, Labor & Employment, will be primarily responsible for providing legal advice on a wide spectrum of labor and employment ("L&E") issues.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate an entrepreneurial ethos toward issue spotting and problem solving, with a keen eye toward constantly improving internal processes, compliance practices, policies and documentation. Specifically, the Counsel will provide legal advice and support to the Legal, Talent and People teams pertaining to the federal, state and local laws governing the company's relationship with its employees and contractors.
As a member of our rapidly expanding Legal team, the successful candidate will experience the legal and operational ins-and-outs that affect a high-growth company, and a high performer will have opportunities over time to expand their role.
* Serve as the company's in-house L&E law expert with day-to-day responsibility for (i) addressing the legal elements of employment matters as they arise and (ii) anticipating/mitigating organizational risks pertaining to applicable L&E laws
* Advise the Legal, Talent and People teams on applicable federal, state and local L&E laws, including but not limited to regulatory regimes governing discrimination, vacation/sick leave matters, wage and hour laws, COVID-19, and employer/employee contractual issues
* Keep abreast of L&E laws across all relevant jurisdictions, and provide regular updates and training modules to the Legal, Talent and People teams regarding changes, trends, risk areas and best practices applicable to relevant L&E laws
* Prepare employment-related agreements
* Advise on, and manage outside counsel engagements related to, immigration matters
* Represent the company, and manage outside counsel engagements, in connection with:
* Federal, state and local government L&E inquiries, including responding to information requests, managing investigations, and executing any litigation or mediation of related charges and legal proceedings; and
* Employment litigation, including development and execution of litigation management and strategy
* Oversee and manage periodic legal reviews of-and updates to-employment agreement templates, employment practices and arrangements, and applicable company policies and disclosures
* Develop and enhance scalable compliance procedures with People, Talent and Operations personnel
* Support L&E compliance in connection with international expansion
* Ensure the company conducts its business according to applicable federal and state laws and regulations
* Foster a workplace with the highest moral, ethical and legal standards to deliver an environment that promotes respect, innovation, and creativity
We view this section as a guide, not a checklist. We encourage you to apply even if you don't satisfy every single bullet on this list!
* J.D. with excellent academic credentials and a state bar member in good standing (must be admitted to DC bar within 360 days of start date)
* At least 4 to 7 years of legal practice with direct experience providing substantive L&E legal advice and services in an in-house or law firm setting
* Experience shepherding a variety of employment matters and issues to conclusion, including internal investigations, employee disputes, and litigation
* Ability to work independently while exercising appropriate judgment in communicating relevant issues and matters to senior Legal leadership and appropriate company stakeholders
* Ability to take a stand on critical issues while maintaining the respect of, and influence among, key business partners
* Comfort with the 'disagree and commit' principle
* A collaborative, team-oriented disposition alongside an ability to recognize and navigate political dynamics-internal and external-while remaining apolitical in carrying out job responsibilities
* Extremely practical and business-oriented approach to legal issues
* Comfort working across all departments and job levels
* Excellent writing and oral communication skills (experience drafting complex legal agreements is highly valued)
* Ability to handle competing deadlines-and shifting priorities-with minimal supervision
* Experience managing and supporting the professional development of one or more junior associates
* Must exhibit intellectual curiosity and attend aggressively to details
* Willing to take feedback, learn and grow; an ethos of continuous self-improvement
We are committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law. Morning Consult will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals.