The University of Tulsa Company History Timeline

1894

With William A. Caldwell as president the new college held its first classes in September 1894.

In 1894, at the request of the Synod of Indian Territory, the Board of Home Missions of the Presbyterian Church elevated the academy’s status and chartered it as Henry Kendall College, a name that honored the first general secretary of the Home Missions Board.

In 1894 William Robert King of the Synod of Indian Territory asked the Presbyterian Board of Home Missions in New York City to elevate the academy's status and charter it as Henry Kendall College, to honor their late general secretary and devoted missionary.

In 1894, the young school expanded to become Henry Kendall College, named in honor of Reverend Henry Kendall, secretary of the Presbyterian Board of Home Missions.

1896

We'll be transcribing the papers of Mary Church Terrell, co-founder of the National Association of Colored Women in 1896. https://fb.me/e/3ztJArtvr

The first president was William A. Caldwell, who served a brief, two-year term ending in 1896.

1906

The school struggled through its first decade until 1906 when school officials asked the Synod of Indian Territory to assume control as trustees and to seek a new location for the college.

In most years, class sizes remained small and although the Academy, the attached elementary, middle, and high school was more successful; by the end of the 1906/07 year Kendall College had had only 27 collegiate graduates.

1907

The college opened to thirty-five students in September 1907, two months before Oklahoma became a state.

Successfully courted by the business and professional community of Tulsa, which was booming after the discovery of oil at Glenpool, Henry Kendall College moved to Tulsa in 1907, the year of Oklahoma’s statehood.

Financial problems caused officials of the Presbyterian Synod of Indian Territory to move the school to Tulsa in 1907.

1908

Kendall Hall, the first building of the new school, was completed in 1908 and was quickly followed by two other buildings.

1918

In 1918, the Methodist Church proposed building a college in Tulsa, using money donated by Tulsa oilman Robert M. McFarlin.

1919

In 1919 the Southern Methodist Church was preparing to establish a new college in Tulsa.

1920

9, 1920, by the Kendall College trustees.

In 1920, Henry Kendall College merged with the proposed McFarlin College to become The University of Tulsa.

A petroleum engineering division was founded in 1928, graduate-level courses were authorized in 1933, and the College of Business Administration was formed in 1935. It was reorganized as the University of Tulsa in 1920.

1921

In 1921 the University of Tulsa was formed.

1926

Articles of incorporation were changed in 1926 to finalize the merger and sever the authority of the Synod from the school, thus creating a self-perpetuating board of trustees.

1928

By 1928, the articles of incorporation had been amended to create the modern structure as an independent school corporation governed by a self-perpetuating board of trustees.

The University of Tulsa opened its School of Petroleum Engineering in 1928.

1935

In 1935 Clarence I. Pontius became president.

1958

In 1958, Ben Graf Henneke, a scholar of theater and communications, became the first alumnus to hold the Presidency of the University of Tulsa.

1959

In 1959 Ben Graf Henneke, a TU alumnus and professor, became the university's president.

The school sold the mansion and its furnishings to private owners in 1959.

1972

All three buildings have since been demolished, with Kendall the last to be razed in 1972.

1988

In recognition of TU's academic strength, a Phi Beta Kappa chapter was established in 1988.

1996

Beginning in 1996 Robert Lawless pushed the university into a period of economic growth and construction.

2004

Steadman Upham became president in 2004.

In 2004, anthropologist Steadman Upham joined the University of Tulsa as President, having served in faculty and leadership positions at the University of Oregon and Arizona State University.

2012

After closing the purchase on July 13, 2012, the structure will be officially known as Skelly House.

On July 5, 2012, the university announced that it would repurchase the house as a residence for its president, who would live on the second floor.

2016

The University also partnered with the George Kaiser Family Foundation to permanently house The Bob Dylan Archive at TU in 2016.

In 2016 President Upham retired and was succeeded by Doctor Gerald Clancy who previously served as a psychiatry professor and held leadership positions at the University of Iowa and the University of Oklahoma.

2019

About two-and-a-half years into his presidency, in the spring of 2019, President Clancy and Provost Levit announced a restructuring of academic programs at the university that would eliminate several liberal arts-focused programs.

Founded
1894
Company Founded
Headquarters
Tulsa, OK
Company Headquarter
Founders
Dax Craig (BSBA ’91)
Company Founders

The University of Tulsa Jobs Nearby

The University of Tulsa Jobs

The University of Tulsa Similar Companies

Find Jobs from Similar Companies
Personalize your job search. Where would you like to work?
0 selections

The University of Tulsa Similar Companies Jobs