View of the east entrance of the first Treasury Building in Washington, 1804.
Later it was burned by the British in 1814, but was rebuilt by White House architect James Hoban.
The Treasury Building, to the southeast of the White House, was again burned by arsonists on March 31, 1833, with only the fireproof wing left standing.
The Treasury Building, to the southeast of the White House, was burned by arsonists in 1833 with only the fireproof wing left standing.
The preliminary design of the wings was provided by Thomas Ustick Walter, architect of the dome of the United States Capitol, but construction began under the supervision of Ammi B. Young and from 1862 until 1867 by Isaiah Rogers. It was found necessary in a few years to enlarge the building, and on March 3, 1855, Congress granted authority to extend the building, by appropriating $100,000.
Officials believed that the adoption of a national currency in 1863 would solve the counterfeiting problem.
Following the assassination of President Lincoln in 1865, Andrew Johnson used the Secretary's reception room as a temporary office before moving into the White House. (Treasury Collection)
The Treasury Building is the oldest departmental building in Washington and has had a great impact on the design of other government buildings. It served as a barracks for soldiers during the Civil War and as the temporary White House for President Andrew Johnson following the assassination of President Lincoln in 1865.
On the right stands the old State Department building, which was razed in 1866 to make room for the north wing of Main Treasury. (Treasury Collection)
The Department continued to grow, and construction began on the North Wing, the final addition to the Treasury Building in 1867.
The room was opened in 1869 as the site of President Ulysses S. Grant's Inaugural Ball.
The room was opened in 1869 as the site of President Ulysses S. Grant�s Inaugural Reception.
The material for the original Wing was Acquia Creek freestone, which was largely replaced with granite in 1908.
The 336-foot long colonnade was rebuilt with granite in 1908.
In 1915 the Life-Saving Service merged with the Revenue Cutter Service to become the United States Coast Guard.
In 1953 following a reorganization of its function, its name became the Internal Revenue Service.
The law enforcement functions formerly carried out by the department were transferred to other departments in 2003.
May 18, 2021 Remarks by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on A Better Deal for Americans to The United States Chamber of Commerce
May 17, 2021 Treasury and IRS Announce Families of 88% of Children in the United States to Automatically Receive Monthly Payment of Refundable Child Tax Credit
May 20, 2021 Remarks by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on the Executive Order on Climate-Related Financial Risks
May 18, 2021 Remarks by Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen at the Summit on Financing African Economies
|Company Name||Founded Date||Revenue||Employee Size||Job Openings|
U.S. Department of Commerce1903
National Labor Relations Board1935
Federal Deposit Insurance1933
U.S. Department of State1789
United States Mint1972
U.S. Office of Personnel Management1883
State of Maine1820
City and County of Denver1859
Federal Bureau of Investigation-