Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist - Area 1, 2, 3 & 4 (6-month Roster)
Department of The Treasury
Specialist Job in Johnstown, PA
WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENT DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
Wage and Investment Customer Assistance, Relationship and Education
Please see the "additional information" section for the locations that are currently being filled.
The number of vacancies has not yet been determined for the following Post of Duty's. Please see location information in the overview section, to find the street address, city and state for each of the Building Codes (BC). If vacancies become available in these locations, this announcement will be amended, and a new cutoff date will be established to fill the additional vacancies as needed:
CT0013; CT0059; CT0061; CT3376; CT3438; CT3462; DE0016; DE0066; IN1641; IN1823; IN1905; KY1472; MA0129; MA5785; MA5942; MA5955; MA5982; MA6035; MD1123; ME4276; MI0131; MI2019; MI2186; MI3022; NH0037; NH6136; NH6185; NJ0056; NJ0145; NJ4531; NJ4541; NJ4571; NJ4611; NJ4721; NJ5105; NJ5114; NJ6998; NY0016; NY0218; NY0300; NY0350; NY6175; NY7030; NY7117; NY7230; NY7288; NY7304; NY7357; NY7368; NY7501; NY7539; NY7619; NY7629; OH0189; OH0192; OH0194; OH0195; OH0202; OH0208; OH1918; PA0233; PA0267; PA0277; PA0329; PA0358; PA0507; PA0582; PA0596; PA0627; PA0656; PA0719; PA0745; PA0865; PA0871; PA0896; PA0949; RI7085; VT8102; VT8139
AL1213; AL1238; AL2062; AL2203; AL2393; DC0198; FL0061; FL0067; FL1328; FL1361; FL1382; FL1407; FL2174; FL2214; FL2257; FL2347; FL2402; FL2668; FL3007; FL3026; FL3100; FL3143; FL3279; FL3285; GA0087; GA0118; GA2004; GA2307; GA2410; GA2441; GA2478; GA2480; GA2618; GA2713; LA1336; LA1427; MD0055; MD0195; MD0440; MD0487; MD1045; MD1137; MD1248; MS0072; MS0083; MS2191; MS2201; MS2373; NC0002; NC1151; NC1167; NC2310; NC2410; NC2443; NC2598; NC2668; NC2677; PA7017; SC0058; SC0068; SC1149; SC2089; SC2095; TN2190; TN2351; VA0008; VA0088; VA0486; VA0593; VA0688; VA0746; VA1608; WV0171; WV0273
AL2036; AR0057; AR0063; AR1127; AR1184; AR1316; IA1408; IA1412; IA1550; IL0222; IL0236; IL1914; IL2201; IL2209; IL2260; IL2337; IL2454; IL2473; IL2528; IL2549; IL2558; IL2636; IN0133; IN1588; IN1762; IN1778; IN1822; KS1603; KS1615; KY0086; KY1690; KY2024; KY2028; KY3060; LA1340; LA1399; LA1545; MI1926; MN1674; MN1720; MO0106; MO0147; MO1833; MO1993; MO2011; ND0014; NE0051; NE0056; NE1377; OK1356; OK1431; SD1317; TN0029; TN0052; TN0076; TN2070; TX0224; TX0284; TX0297; TX0298; TX0302; TX1732; TX1861; TX2007; TX2074; TX2096; TX2148; TX2224; TX2292; TX2298; TX2444; TX2754; TX2880; TX2982; WI0103; WI1623; WI1711; WI1720; WI1738; WI1784
AK3237; AZ0058; AZ6886; AZ7748; AZ7837; AZ7887; CA0150; CA0154; CA0167; CA0198; CA0221; CA0273; CA0281; CA0521; CA6116; CA6139; CA6862; CA6901; CA6921; CA7023; CA7087; CA7102; CA7239; CA7395; CA7564; CA7588; CA7720; CA7898; CA7903; CA8050; CA8271; CA8479; CA8500; CO0018; CO0046; CO1811; CO2177; HI0011; HI6575; HI6993; ID0025; ID4252; ID4423; MT5513; MT5626; NE1375; NM1431; NM1464; NM1524; NV0012; NV7516; OR0051; OR6527; OR6674; SD0035; TX0272; UT0035; UT1522; WA0064; WA0094; WA0101; WA7598; WA7751; WA7961; WA7992; WA8075; WY0030; WY1219; WY1228
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
* Assists and advises taxpayers in meeting their Federal Tax obligations. Assistance is technical, and covers the full range of individual income, excise, and employment taxes, as well as certain elements of all other kinds of taxes.
* Conducts interviews with taxpayers to determine their tax situation, provide advice, and explains probable consequences of various courses of action open to taxpayers for the current and other tax years.
* Discusses tax law impact with tax practitioners and accountants, review books and records to gain understanding of taxpayer's financial status (cash/accrual basis).
* Confers with taxpayers and/or their representatives to explain issues involving the applicability of tax law, regulations, notices and account adjustments.
* Assists taxpayers in preparing tax returns and explains the consequences of courses of action. Explains to taxpayers the collection and examination processes.
Conditions of Employment
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
* Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
* Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
* Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
* Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
* If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
* Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
* The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
GENERAL EXPERIENCE FOR GS-05: You must have three years of general experience one year of which was at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 in the Federal Service. General experience for this position includes: Analyzing problems to identify significant factors; gathering pertinent data and recognizing solutions; planning and organizing work; and communicating effectively orally and in writing. Such experience may have been gained in administrative, professional, technical, investigative, or other responsible work. Other experiences that may provide evidence of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position to be filled.
EDUCATION: You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-07: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes A knowledge of business practices, basic accounting principles, and Federal tax laws and regulations; and that required the ability to audit tax records, analyze systems and bookkeeping, use fact-finding techniques, and develop interpersonal skills.
EDUCATION: You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: 1 year of graduate education in a field of study such as: business administration, finance, accounting, auditing, taxation, or other related fields. OR Superior Academic Achievement may be met by having a Bachelor's degree, with one of the following: A GPA of 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last 2 years of study, or a GPA of 3.45 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all courses in the major field of study or those courses in the major completed in the last 2 years of study, or rank in the upper one third of the class in the college, university, or major subdivision, or membership in a national honor society recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Combination of qualifying graduate education and experience equal to that amount required.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-09: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes Knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code, regulations and administrative procedures related to the full range of personal, business, and other tax-related issues. Examples of qualifying experience include: Interpreting and applying rules and regulations; Interviewing others to elicit facts to identify and resolve problems; Communicating with others to elicit facts to identify and resolve complex problems; Analyzing financial documents, such as financial accounts, tax returns, financial statements, etc., to reconcile factual differences or to reconstruct missing facts, and; Deciding whether actions are in compliance with statutory provisions and/or procedural and policy requirements.
EDUCATION: You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: a master's or equivalent graduate degree in a field of study such as: accounting, finance, or business administration. OR two full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a graduate degree in a field of study such as: accounting, finance, business administration or public administration. OR LL.B. or J.D., if related.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: Combination of qualifying graduate education and experience equal to that amount required.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
* Subject to a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
* This is a bargaining unit position.
* Tour of Duty: Day Shift - Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
* Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
* Relocation expenses - None
* If this position is designated as hard to fill and you were referred by an IRS employee, the employee may be eligible to receive a bonus for referring you under The Employee Referral Bonus Program (ERBP), recruiting strategy.
Though many locations may be listed, you will be limited to a maximum of 3 location choices. Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
Vacancies to be filled are as follows. Please see location information in the overview section, to find the street address, city and state for each of the Building Codes (BC).
1 vacancy in BC: CT3451
3 vacancies in BC: DE0051
1 vacancy in BC: KY2098
5 vacancies in BC: MA0131
1 vacancy in BC: ME0061
1 vacancy in BC: ME0068
1 vacancy in BC: ME0078
3 vacancies in BC: MI2210
1 vacancy in BC: NY6385
2 vacancies in BC: NY7064
1 vacancy in BC: NY7340
2 vacancies in BC: OH0302
2 vacancies in BC: OH2146
2 vacancies in BC: OH2342
2 vacancies in BC: PA0440
2 vacancies in BC: RI7097
2 vacancies in BC: WV0016
1 vacancy in BC: LA0070
1 vacancy in BC: LA1420
1 vacancy in BC: VA0535
1 vacancy in BC: VA0712
2 vacancies in BC: VA0719
1 vacancy in BC: WV0167
1 vacancy in BC: WV0300
2 vacancies in BC: WV0304
1 vacancy in BC: WV0318
1 vacancy in BC: IA0112
1 vacancy in BC: IA1465
2 vacancies in BC: IL2551
1 vacancy in BC: IN1853
1 vacancy in BC: KS1607
1 vacancy in BC: MN0015
5 vacancies in BC: MN1600
2 vacancies in BC: MN1675
1 vacancy in BC: MN2608
2 vacancies in BC: MO1913
1 vacancy in BC: MO1991
1 vacancy in BC: ND0008
3 vacancies in BC: ND0046
1 vacancy in BC: ND1366
1 vacancy in BC: NE0531
1 vacancy in BC: OK1476
1 vacancy in BC: OK1477
1 vacancy in BC: SD0040
1 vacancy in BC: TX0163
1 vacancy in BC: TX0230
1 vacancy in BC: CA7585
1 vacancy in BC: MT5356
1 vacancy in BC: MT5383
3 vacancies in BC: MT5524
1 vacancy in BC: MT5577
1 vacancy in BC: OR0043
2 vacancies in BC: OR6660
1 vacancy in BC: WA0063
1 vacancy in BC: WA7849
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement 07/24/2023. This announcement will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 6 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of each of the following cutoff dates to be considered: 2/6/2023, 3/6/2023, 4/7/2023, 5/5/2023, 6/5/2023, 7/24/2023. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 6-month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants who apply by the initial cut-off date, will be referred in score order. If additional vacancies exist, remaining applicants will be considered in score order as needed. Selections from this announcement may be made no later than (NLT) 6 months after the 1st cutoff date. If the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.