Mechanical Technician (Valve Technician)
Mechanical Technician Job in Moses Lake, WA
$23.24 - $37.89
Valve experience preferred
Responsibilities may include the setup, repair, and maintenance of industrial machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pneumatic actuated equipment, conveyor systems, compressors, pumps, industrial piping, hydraulic systems, and specialized production equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following examples of duties and responsibilities illustrate the general range of tasks assigned to the position but are not intended to define the limits of required duties. Other essential duties may be assigned consistent with the general scope of the position.
* Assist in or perform the removal, installation, repair, and maintenance of equipment such as pumps, compressors, motors, and other rotating machinery and equipment
* Assist in or perform basic fabrication and mechanical duties such as pipe and valve installation bracket fabrication, etc.
* Perform preventative maintenance functions
* Perform facility maintenance functions along with basic grounds functions such as plumbing, repair, emptying dumpsters, etc.
* Assist in job planning which includes estimating time and crafts required along with identifying and requisitioning the required materials
* Perform simple mathematical calculations
* Prepare sketches and simple drawings
* Perform normal recordkeeping practices
* Participate in design reviews and the management of change (MOC) process
* Provide training to other individuals in the workgroup
* Operate vehicles, mechanized devices, or equipment
* Serve as an "on-call" technician during off-hours, weekends and holidays as part of the call-out rotation to perform limited troubleshooting and repair mechanical equipment
Incumbents must have demonstrated knowledge and abilities in these areas. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
* Requires a minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent and one (1) to three (3) years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
* Prefered but not required: Associate's degree from a two-year college or technical school.
* Must be able to successfully certify and maintain forklift certification
* Basic computer skills including functionality in Microsoft Office suite of applications
Other Skills and Abilities
* Basic knowledge of technical drafting
* Strong troubleshooting and reasoning skills
* Strong understanding of how to read and interpret engineering, industrial / blueprint drawing, electrical and mechanical components/equipment, and use of shop tools and equipment
* Basic understanding of pipefitting and knowledge of flange assembly and pressure and leak testing
* Strong understanding of the operation, repair, and maintenance of mechanical drive systems (belt/pulley systems, gearboxes, etc.), pump and compressor operation, repair, installation, and maintenance and operation and repair on various types of valves
* Skilled in coupling maintenance and laser alignment
* Strong understanding of mechanical seal and packing installation, operation, and maintenance
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
* Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume and apply concepts of algebra and geometry
* Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one or small groups
* Ability to write routine reports and correspondence effectively
* Must be a team player and supportive and cooperative of management and corporate initiatives
* Ability to solve practical problems
These skills and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education, experience, and training. This combination will provide the competence to perform the work of the position.
Supervisory and Budgetary Responsibilities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, reach outward, reach above shoulder, climb, squat or kneel, bend and lift/carry up to 50 pounds and over 50 pounds must be done with the assistance of another person(s)
* The employee is frequently required to push/pull up to 100 pounds with the assistance of another person
* The employee is occasionally required to sit and crawl
* Vision requirements include near, distance, color, peripheral, and depth perception
* The employee must have a sense of sound, smell, and touch and have the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including standard issued PPE and respiratory devices
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* This position may require the employee to work a 12-hour rotating shift including weekends, holidays, and overtime as required, and based on production needs, the company reserves the right to change or modify the schedule
* The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat
* The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and toxic or caustic chemicals
* The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate