Web Developer Statistics and Facts in the US
Research Summary. Using a database of 30 million profiles, Zippia estimates demographics and statistics for web developers in the United States. Our estimates are verified against BLS, Census, and current job openings data for accuracy. After extensive research and analysis, Zippia's data science team found that:
- There are over 320,709 web developers currently employed in the United States.
- 23.6% of all web developers are women, while only 69.4% are men.
- The average age of an employed web developer is 35 years old.
- The most common ethnicity of web developers is White (65.8%), followed by Asian (14.1%) and Hispanic or Latino (10.2%).
- The majority of web developers are located in NY, New York and IL, Chicago.
- Web developers are most in-demand in Washington, DC.
- Web developers are paid an average annual salary of $72,539.
- Seattle, WA pays an annual average wage of $84,778, the highest in the US.
- Web developers average starting salary is $55,000.
- In 2021, women earned 96% of what men earned.
- The top 10% of highest-paid web developers earn as much as $94,000 or more.
- Washington is the best state for web developers to live.
- Web developers are more likely to work at public companies in comparison to private companies.
Web Developer Statistics By Gender
Gender Pay Gap For Web Developer
Women Earn 96¢ For Every $1 Earned By Man
Web Developer Gender Over Time
This data shows how men and women predominate in the web developer position over time.
Web Developer Male to Female Ratio
We compared this job title with other job titles to see how gender percentages varied. As you can see, senior data center engineer and senior windows engineer have the biggest difference in gender.
|Informatics Nurse Specialist||14%||82%|
|Clinical Support Specialist||21%||73%|
|Senior Windows Engineer||93%||4%|
|Senior Data Center Engineer||96%||2%|
Web Developer Statistics By Race
The most common ethnicity among web developers is White, which makes up 65.8% of all web developers. Comparatively, there are 14.1% of the Asian ethnicity and 10.2% of the Hispanic or Latino ethnicity.
- White, 65.8%
- Asian, 14.1%
- Hispanic or Latino, 10.2%
- Black or African American, 6.1%
- Unknown, 3.5%
- American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.3%
Web Developer Race And Ethnicity Over Time
Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2008-2018 among web developers.
- Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American
Web Developer Wage Gap By Race
Average Age of a Web Developer
We determined the average age of web developers based on ethnicity and gender.
Web Developer Age Breakdown
This chart breaks down the ages of web developer employees. Interestingly enough, the average age of web developers is 30-40 years old, which represents 40% of the population.
Types of Web Developer Degree Levels
The most common degree for web developers is bachelor's degree 71% of web developers earn that degree. A close second is master's degree with 14% and rounding it off is associate degree with 11%.
- Bachelors, 71%
- Masters, 14%
- Associate, 11%
- High School Diploma, 2%
- Other Degrees, 2%
Web Developer Jobs You Might Like
Web Developer Wage Gap By Education
Web Developer Employment Statistics
This section highlights the information we gathered about the types of businesses and industries that employ web developers. We found that the most common company type is public. In addition, the industry that employs the most web developers is the technology industry.
We created this chart to show you the average size of companies that typically hire web developers.
< 50 employees
50 - 100 employees
100 - 500 employees
500 - 1,000 employees
1,000 - 10,000 employees
The Types Of Companies Web Developer Work In
Employees with the web developer job title have their preferences when it comes to working for a company. For instance, most web developers prefer to work at public companies over private companies.
Top Industries Hiring Web Developers
Just based on the number of employees within each industry, we were able to determine the most common industries that employ web developers. Those industries include technology, education and finance.
Web Developer Turnover And Employment Statistics
Web Developer Unemployment Rate Over Time
The Bureau of Labor Statistics came in clutch when it came down to figuring out how the unemployment rate has changed over time. Between 2008 and 2018, this is how the number of web developers changed.
- Unemployment rate
The Average Number of Years That Web Developer Stay in a Job
By looking over 43,863 web developers resumes, we figured out that the average web developer enjoys staying at their job for 1-2 years for a percentage of 36%.
Foreign Languages Spoken By Web Developers
The most common foreign language among web developers is Spanish at 33.0%. The second-most popular foreign language spoken is French at 10.9% and Chinese is the third-most popular at 10.8%.
- Spanish, 33.0%
- French, 10.9%
- Chinese, 10.8%
- Mandarin, 7.9%
- Japanese, 6.1%
- Other, 31.3%