Find a Job You Really Want In
Oh Canada, land of maple syrup, hockey sticks, and bagged milk.
It’s no secret that our Canadian nice neighbor to the north is a pretty nice place to live.
In fact, whenever America goes through a bit of turbulence, searches for “moving to canada” sky rockets. The US election was no exception. Election day, and the days surrounding it, saw a surge of American workers looking to learn more “aboot” Canada.
We analyzed Google Trends’ data to see where in the country people were most interested in moving to the Great White North.
- Vermont searched “moving to canada” more than any other state in the past 7 days.
- After Vermont, Maine and Oregon are the most eager to exchange their dollars for maple syrup and say “eh” a lot.
- All top 10 states that want to move to Canada the most are pretty chilly.
- The state least interested in moving to Canada is Mississippi. Whether it’s the chilled weather, the distance, or the strongest desire to remain on American soil, you’ll have to ask them to find out.
- After Mississippi, it is Hawaii who is lease willing to trade their leis for parkas.
- Related search terms include “best country to move to from us,” showing some people are pretty open to life anywhere else– you can see a breakdown of that further down
How We Determined This
We once again turned to Google Trends to find which states were googling “moving to canada” the most.
The keyword overall saw a sharp increase in traffic this week. While we can’t guarantee everyone looking how to move to Canada will follow through, they’re at least thinking about it. We opted to look at the past 7 days- capturing the days leading up to Election day, Election day itself, and the day following.
For the other countries Americans in certain states want to move to, we followed a similar process. We simply substituted the other country for “canada” in the “moving to” search query. You can see who is eyeing Japan, Australia, and other countries further down.
States That Want To Move To Canada The Most
It’s Not Just Canada
Canada isn’t the only country US workers are considering relocating to. Although it is by far the most popular, judging from Google searches. Below we highlight some countries certain states are a bit more keen to move to than other states.
California – Japan
Colorado – Spain, Costa Rica
Florida – France, Panama, England
Hawaii – New Zealand
Indiana – China
New Mexico – Mexico
Nevada – Australia
Oregon – Germany, Ireland, UK
Pennsylvania – Norway
Switzerland – New York
Washington – Italy
Hold your hockey stick, moving to Canada isn’t that easy
While searches for moving to Canada are up, odds are most people won’t fully through.
Immigrating to Canada- and most countries- requires a lot of paperwork and often means navigating a foreign job market from abroad to land a visa. The process of relocating will cost you a lot of time and loonies (the Canadian currency, not sanity.)
Despite all the challenges, all the stress has people in America checking out the process to see if they should move to snowier pastures.
The States That Want To Move To Canada (From Most To Least)
|49||District of Columbia|
Find The Best Job That Fits Your Career
Where do you want to work?