Find a Job You Really Want In
Every state has its claim to fame.
Sometimes that dubious honor is being home to something really, really big. Or being the location of a colossal, immense quantity of an everyday object or action. Regardless, no accomplishment so big is too small to escape our notice here at Zippia.
We scoured thousands of records (and maybe a few roadside signs) to find out what each state has that’s gigantic, ginormous, and downright mammoth.
You can see the animal, food, action, and other bizarre items of substantial size each state boasts of in the map above, or keep reading to see our more interesting findings.
Summary of the Biggest Thing Each State Has
- Most people enjoy their share of salsa from time to time. Usually, it’s accompanied with some hot tortilla chips and a lime margarita with a salt rim. But typically it comes in a small bowl. That’s not the case in Arizona where the largest serving ever made was 7,308 lbs. It was made to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Nana’s Best Tasting Salsa Challenge in 2014. I wonder what the 40th anniversary will bring in 2024.
- A lot of people dream about their wedding day well before they’re even in a relationship. It’s hyped up to be the best day of their life. Well, you definitely can’t pull that off without the largest wedding cake ever, which is exactly what Connecticut set out to do. The cake weighed in at 15,032 lbs and was presented at a bridal showcase. Imagine the price tag on that cake. The only thing that could make the cake better is if it had the largest pair of googly eyes on it, which is yet another record set by the great state of Connecticut.
- In order to achieve the greatest distance ever run on sand, you would need to have access to the sand. So it makes sense this record was set in Florida. In 24 hours, the person ran 134 miles on the sand in Destin, Florida.
- Most people probably associate whoopee cushions as a childlike prank that stops being funny when you grow up. It would seem that Georgia never got that memo, or the residents just never grew up. Instead, the state is home to a 25-foot whoopee cushion.
- With fall right away the corner, people are already getting ready for Halloween and Thanksgiving. There are a lot of states that are already ready. New Hampshire is home to the most lit Jack-‘O-Lanterns on display. Ohio is known for the largest pumpkin pie. Pennsylvania has the largest Ouija board. South Carolina with the hottest chili. Louisiana is home to the largest Voodoo doll, which really isn’t surprising. And Idaho has the largest straw bale maze record. So when you’re looking for the best straw bale maze, you know where to go.
The Bigger, the Better
While these states may do some things bigger and better than others, there isn’t a state that doesn’t have something to be proud of.
From the holiest tongue to the largest parade of fire trucks, there’s something for everyone to enjoy when it comes to records.
Even things that you didn’t think would be a record, like the most people making snow angels simultaneously, are included in the complete list below.
These are the things every state does bigger than any other state.
|Alabama||Biggest bubble ever blown|
|Alaska||Greatest distance barefoot in 24 hours|
|Arizona||Largest serving of salsa|
|Arkansas||Largest set of windchimes|
|California||Most skateboard ollie big spins in one minute|
|Colorado||The largest gathering of people wearing false mustaches|
|Connecticut||The worlds largest wedding cake|
|Delaware||Oldest woman to cross America by bicycle|
|Florida||Greatest distance run on sand in 24 hours|
|Georgia||Largest whoopee cushion|
|Hawaii||Largest wave surfed|
|Idaho||Largest straw bale maze record|
|Illinois||Most loop the loops in a Hot Wheels track|
|Indiana||Largest high heel race|
|Kansas||Largest serving of nachos|
|Kentucky||Shortest woman to give birth|
|Louisiana||Largest voodoo doll|
|Maine||Most corn husked in a minute|
|Maryland||Largest crab cake|
|Michigan||Tallest dog ever|
|Minnesota||Largest collection of cow related items|
|Mississippi||Fastest time to travel the length of the Mississippi River by canoe|
|Missouri||Largest BBQ/grilling lesson|
|Montana||Longest ramp jump by a truck cab|
|Nebraska||Largest advertising poster|
|Nevada||The worlds most calorific burger|
|New Hampshire||Most lit jack o lanterns on display|
|New Jersey||Holiest tongue|
|New Mexico||Largest Indian reservation in the United States|
|New York||Highest pancake toss|
|North Carolina||Longest model train|
|North Dakota||Most people making snow angels simultaneously|
|Ohio||Largest pie, pumpkin|
|Oklahoma||Largest parade of fire trucks|
|Oregon||Most episodes of a family focused reality television show|
|Pennsylvania||Largest Ouija board|
|Rhode Island||Largest sock|
|South Carolina||Hottest chili|
|South Dakota||Dog with the longest tongue|
|Tennessee||Longest picnic table|
|Texas||Largest diaper cake|
|Utah||Fastest towed big wheel|
|Vermont||Largest snow softball tournament|
|Virginia||Largest simultaneous yoyo|
|Washington||The worlds most expensive hot dog|
|West Virginia||Largest bird feeder|
|Wisconsin||Most Big Mac burgers eaten in a life time|
|Wyoming||Oldest national park|
Find The Best Job That Fits Your Career
Where do you want to work?