Life is full of embarrassing or uncomfortable questions you’d rather not ask.
Sometimes, there just isn’t a socially appropriate to ask, “Why is my poop green?” or “Hey, anyone know of any upcoming Nickleback concerts?”
So we turn to Google for advice and to confide in about our questionable hobbies. And boy, are some of those searches cringe-worthy.
We analyzed the data and it turns out, some states have a little bit more to be embarrassed about than others.
Most Fun Findings
- “How is baby made?”, Oh Indiana, if you have to ask…
- A lot of people in Tennessee and Florida are nervous their house is haunted, maybe New Jersey can help with their weegee boards?
- Alaskans are online shopping for dog carriers for their pooch, while Texans are worried their dogs may not love them at all.
- Speaking of pets, folks in Ohio are most likely to google, “Does my cat love me?”
- I’m not saying Arkansas has the most ear bugs or Nebraska has the smelliest feet, but they are googling it the most
- Yes, Mississippi, the Earth IS round
- Utah either REALLY likes the movie Baby Geniuses or has lot of people there who think they are raising little Einsteins.
- Not to food shame, but mayonnaise recipes (Hawaii) and casseroles (Wyoming) aren’t the most sophisticated of foods.
- Geography is hard- Just ask all the people googling “Where is Canada?” and “Where is Africa?”
- Kansas is the biggest googler of Pumpkin Spice Latte, meaning they may also be the biggest fans of Ugg boots and yoga pants.
- TVs are turned to reality shows in Rhode Island (Love Island) and South Carolina (Live PD)
HOW WE DETERMINED THIS
Using Google Trends, we determined the most embarrassing thing each state googles more than any other. Google searches are a great way to learn more about people, because people Google pretty transparently, with no self-conscious thoughts. Although judging from the data, maybe they should feel a little self-conscious.
We look at searches ranging from August 2019 to August 2020, giving us a full year of cringey internet searches.
We searched hundreds of terms ranging from awkward medical questions, reality shows and unpopular movies, conspiracy theories, unfashionable clothing, and other mortifying queries.
Don’t Stop Googling
Embarrassing is subjective. After all, you might be a proud flat Earther or know you rock your shoulder pads. There are also degrees of embarrasment, some might feel a awkward if everyone knew their depth of affection for the movie Baby Geniuses, while someone searching for a cure for their smelly feet (or just plain feet pictures…) might be a tad more embarrassed.
Regardless, at the end of the day, it’s better to ask an awkward question and learn something knew, or get the solution you need. After all, you know what’s worse than googling “how is baby made”, not knowing how babies are made!
So blast that Nickleback, learn that your dog loves you unconditionally, and keep googling. You just learn something new.
You can see a table of our full findings, alphabetically listed below.
Embarrassing Google Search
|California||How to quit a job you just started|
|Connecticut||Sussex Royal Instagram|
|Delaware||Are aliens real|
|Florida||How to get rid of ghost|
|Georgia||Where is africa|
|Idaho||How to vape|
|Illinois||What do we breathe out|
|Indiana||How is baby made|
|Iowa||How to get fired|
|Kansas||Pumpkin spice latte|
|Kentucky||How to become a vampire|
|Louisiana||Why do I sweat so much|
|Maryland||Love is blind|
|Massachusetts||Will Smith Rap|
|Michigan||What am i good at|
|Mississippi||Is the earth round|
|Missouri||How to fake sick|
|New Hampshire||What does hampshire mean|
|New Jersey||Weegee board|
|New Mexico||Justin Bieber Nudes|
|New York||Velour tracksuits|
|North Carolina||Nicholas Sparks|
|North Dakota||Ok boomer meaning|
|Ohio||Does my cat love me|
|Oregon||Live Laugh Love|
|Rhode Island||Love Island|
|South Carolina||Live pd|
|South Dakota||Dr. Phil|
|Tennessee||Is my house haunted|
|Texas||Does my dog love me|
|Vermont||Where is Canada|
|West Virginia||why is my poop green|
|Wisconsin||why do people lie|